Q about when to apply. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
brando9

New

Q about when to apply.

Post by brando9 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:25 pm

Hey yall.

I just recently took the LSAT and am pretty certain I'm going to retake in October to get a desirable score for a shot at Northwestern. (barring some amazing luck on this past one)

I am very new and naive to the whole admissions process and am wondering, should I wait until I get my October score back to send in my application? Or, do I send in my app as soon as it opens and include my June score and put on there that I am going to be retaking?

Whatever the correct approach may be, does it hold true for any school? I am also going to be applying to Colorado-Boulder which is obviously not as competitive as Nwestern.

Thanks to all that respond!

Cheers.

dowu

Platinum

Re: Q about when to apply.

Post by dowu » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:56 pm

brando9 wrote:Hey yall.

I just recently took the LSAT and am pretty certain I'm going to retake in October to get a desirable score for a shot at Northwestern. (barring some amazing luck on this past one)

I am very new and naive to the whole admissions process and am wondering, should I wait until I get my October score back to send in my application? Or, do I send in my app as soon as it opens and include my June score and put on there that I am going to be retaking?

Whatever the correct approach may be, does it hold true for any school? I am also going to be applying to Colorado-Boulder which is obviously not as competitive as Nwestern.

Thanks to all that respond!

Cheers.

Have everything ready (personal statement, diversity statement, letters of recommendation, transcripts, etc...) to submit come October - that way you'll just have to update your new (and improved!) LSAT score and click submit on the apps. Most of them open up in/around October, so you should still be in great shape.

I think that the schools you've mentioned will have no problem taking an October score, and even a December score! So you should plan on that. I wouldnt submit my apps with a crappy score if I knew I was retaking and the schools would still allow me to submit with a more recent score; but that's just my take. I wouldnt want to "spoil" my app with a lesser LSAT score, knowing that I will come back with a better score.

Stick around on the forums and you'll be able to find a lot of the information you should know about going/applying to law school. PM me if you have any questions.

Good luck!

spleenworship

Gold

Re: Q about when to apply.

Post by spleenworship » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:19 pm

Check the admissions FAQs of your schools. Some allow you to apply and just state "LSAT score pending" or what have you and they won't consider your application until the score comes in.... but you can have everything else in and processed and ready to go the moment that LSAT arrives. Others won't do that. So check the websites and see.

As above, if they don't let you send it in with a pending, or they'll use your June score if you send it in early, then definitely get everything uploaded and ready to go so you can submit the moment your score is in.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”