Reporting LSAT score question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lambert8
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:02 pm

Reporting LSAT score question

Postby lambert8 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:38 am

Hey guys, I just had a quick question about the LSAT score regards to an application. I've taken the test in February and just now in June so I'm still waiting on my June score obviously. Let's say I don't do as good as I had hoped and want to retake. I can't retake in October due to a schedule conflict that I absolutely cannot get out of, so the only test left would be December. I'm going to be applying for this upcoming cycle and I was hoping to get most of my apps out by October or November. My February score should be good enough for a few schools on my list but I know I could get a little higher, and lets hypothetically say I didn't do better on the June test. Would applying to other schools after the December scores come out be too late in the cycle? Also, let's say I got into a couple of schools based off my February or June score. Would I be able to report a December score to those schools later on and be considered for scholarship money? Thanks for the help.

User avatar
Gwen
Posts: 232
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:54 am

Re: Reporting LSAT score question

Postby Gwen » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:49 am

You could always apply in October and request that your application be held pending your December score. You might want to check with each individual school to see what their policy is regarding such requests. If a school admits you with your February score, and you perform substantially better in December, some schools would be willing to give you scholly money (assuming that the new score is on par with the merit scholarship requirements) but this policy may vary so you should contact individual schools regarding their policy. Personally, assuming that you don't do well on the June exam and you feel that you can do substantially better on the December test AND you feel that applying at that point in the cycle would put you at a extreme disadvantage, I'd just hold off applying and apply early next cycle (for fall 2014).

bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: Reporting LSAT score question

Postby bp shinners » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:52 am

Applying with a December score is late, and it's going to negatively affect you. If you go up by about 3 points, it evens things out. If you go up by more than 3 points, it's generally worth the wait.

If you get into a few schools, you can report a higher score to negotiate more scholarship money.

What you can't do is apply, get rejected, and then apply again with a higher score in the same application season. (not a part of your question, just throwing it in).

If you're going to apply with a pending LSAT administration/score, make sure that you clearly note at which schools you want to be considered with the Feb/June scores, and at which ones you want to wait it out. By 'clearly note', I mean put it in your application where it asks, and also follow-up at the schools by calling and confirming that they understand your intent. You won't get a bump by applying early without that December score if you tell them to wait.

lambert8
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: Reporting LSAT score question

Postby lambert8 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:05 pm

Thanks for the help guys




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: goldenbear2020, incognito_mode13 and 8 guests