limiting apps for scholarship money

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Band A Long

limiting apps for scholarship money

Postby Band A Long » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:05 am

Hi all. I tried to find some answers using search but didn't have much luck. An idea popped into my head yesterday, not sure if it's worth anything but figured I'd ask. Is there any way to attempt to apply to less schools and then explain that in your application as a way to per-emptively barter for higher scholarship money, etc.? I'll try to explain my idea.

So we know that schools can be choosy about handing out acceptances and scholarships because they want to protect their yield (i.e. not get lots of people with high numbers to apply for a school as a safety and then promptly withdraw) since it can mess with their USNWR stats. In applying to a school where one is over both 75% GPA?/LSAT, is there a way to indicate on your application that you are actually very serious about attending so that they will be more likely to include a significant scholarship offer (since you've said you'd take it)?

Here's how the example played out in my head: let's say you are dead-set on being in Philadelphia, and your numbers are high enough that you have could have a chance to get into Penn. Alternatively, you would have far above 75% numbers for Philly T2 schools like Temple and Villanova. Is there anywhere on the application you could indicate your situation to those T2 schools? Basically saying, hey, look, I'm only applying to these three schools, and I'd totally come to Temple/Villanova if I received $$$$, I'm dead-set on Philadelphia, etc. I imagine that it's possible to leverage an acceptance to a better school after you get into these T2 schools (e.g. hey, I got into Penn, can you up my scholarship??) but perhaps just being very precise in your applications and indicating this to the admissions office could save a lot of hassle. Lemme know your thoughts, thanks!

TMC116

Re: limiting apps for scholarship money

Postby TMC116 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:18 am

I think all that information can and should be explained in a very specific Why X essay. I don't think you need to limit the schools you apply to, as it will severely limit your options.

A why X essay or email to admissions (if you want to discuss $$$) would be both more effective and less risky

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:33 am

Limiting your schools gives you fewer options, and there is less motivation for the schools to give you money. They give you money to try to convince you to go there, not when they think you're a sure thing.

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:44 am

The whole point of applying to random schools with fee waivers is to net scholarship bartering chips.

Band A Long

Postby Band A Long » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:00 pm

TMC116 wrote:I don't think you need to limit the schools you apply to, as it will severely limit your options.
rinkrat19 wrote:Limiting your schools gives you fewer options, and there is less motivation for the schools to give you money. They give you money to try to convince you to go there, not when they think you're a sure thing.
Nova wrote:The whole point of applying to random schools with fee waivers is to net scholarship bartering chips.

Okay, thanks for the advice everyone. I guess it just seems like a bit of an arms race, applying to more and more schools. But for an individual I imagine you're right that it's better to come in with outside offers in hand and then try to leverage for more money. Doing things like attending their open houses or meeting faculty etc. would probably be more useful in any case and remove the potential for shooting oneself in the foot.
TMC116 wrote:I think all that information can and should be explained in a very specific Why X essay.

By this do you mean write a specific personal statement to the schools, rather than a generic one? I skimmed through one school's admissions page and they did not have any information about "Why School XYZ." Thanks.

rowingmyboat

Postby rowingmyboat » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:17 pm

Things like open houses/meeting faculty are helpful for writing a "Why X" with great specifics, but not for getting schollys. Most schools have an optional essays where you can write an additional essay explaining why you like their school so much (the why x), or often about your diversity if you have any.

Example of "Why X" prompts:
Penn's option essay choice: How will your legal education and professional development at Penn
Law support your five year plan upon graduation?

Duke: Optional Essay I: You may submit an essay providing additional information about why you have chosen to apply to law school in general and Duke in particular. We are interested in the factors that have prompted your interest in a legal career and the ways in which you think Duke can further that interest.

Tailoring your personal statement to each school can be a nice touch too as long as it was thoughtfully done and fits well. Seems like Stanford really likes that.

The optional essays aren't really going to help with scholarships IMO. I think they show interest which can help you get admitted if they are well done, but not with how much money they will throw at you. Your best bet for scholarships is to apply to a nice range of law schools, and then negotiate from the bottom up.
I'd read this: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=27221

Band A Long

Postby Band A Long » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:22 pm

Excellent information, thanks a lot for the help. I may just start early on the PS so I can get it to say exactly what I want. I feel like I'm somewhat unusual in that I really badly want to attend a T2 in my area but may end up with better numbers than I need, so perhaps that's the way to go. Thanks!!

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:02 pm

Band A Long wrote:Excellent information, thanks a lot for the help. I may just start early on the PS so I can get it to say exactly what I want. I feel like I'm somewhat unusual in that I really badly want to attend a T2 in my area but may end up with better numbers than I need, so perhaps that's the way to go. Thanks!!
I was 110% set on getting a big scholarship to my local TT. Got the big scholly. Am attending a faraway T14, to which I only happened to apply for shits-n-giggles (with almost as much money, it turns out, but I was preparing for sticker price).

Just sayin, you never know. Some other school might capture your heart. :P Applying to a good range will give you leverage, as well as options if your mind should happen to change.

Band A Long

Postby Band A Long » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:30 am

rinkrat19 wrote:I was 110% set on getting a big scholarship to my local TT. Got the big scholly. Am attending a faraway T14, to which I only happened to apply for shits-n-giggles (with almost as much money, it turns out, but I was preparing for sticker price).

Just sayin, you never know. Some other school might capture your heart. :P Applying to a good range will give you leverage, as well as options if your mind should happen to change.

I hope I can do as well as you :) thanks for the tips!

lynch

Postby lynch » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:32 am

thanks for the tips. I hope I can do that to.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”