Personal Advice on Canceling My Score

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
msquaredb
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 9:19 am

Personal Advice on Canceling My Score

Postby msquaredb » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:18 am

I just took the LSAT yesterday and I am pretty confident my performance was abysmal. I was consistently scoring 165-170 on my practice exams, but I am almost certain I scored in the 150s on the exam yesterday. The main problem is that I freaked myself out beyond belief about the logic games sections. This was my weak section and my performance always hinged on it and when it came time to perform for real I mentally flipped out. I guessed on probably half due to time issues. When I freak out I keep flipping between problems and lose all focus.

Anyway, given my circumstances do you think cancellation would be the best advice? I thought about keeping it, but I am worried what will happen if I get a 157, but my next score is something like a 167. Even though law schools take the highest will they be concerned about the difference?

User avatar
pinkcamellia
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Personal Advice on Canceling My Score

Postby pinkcamellia » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:56 am

If you took a lot of practice tests and can usually tell how you're going to perform, then I would go with your gut and cancel your score. Guessing on most of the games section isn't a good thing.

However, if it is possible that your mind is playing tricks on you and that you just feel like you guessed, I would stick it out and see how things go.

While some schools may see the jump in scores as odd if you do get a 157ish, I can almost guarantee you that most schools will just want that higher second LSAT score to keep their numbers up.

If you do decide to take it again, try to take some practice tests in a more realistic test environment. Play some background noise, take it in an unfamiliar space, etc. The more you deal with the unknown, the less you'll flip out when something unexpected pops up. Almost no one has a perfect testing center, and the sooner you decide to deal with it head on, the faster you can get back in there and get that 170 :)

Best of luck to you.

User avatar
Band A Long
Posts: 111
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:50 am

Re: Personal Advice on Canceling My Score

Postby Band A Long » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:21 am

Can you definitively say that there were more points than usual that you just said, "aw, fuck it! C" than you normally do (if at all?). Or is it a general feeling that you made mistakes.

msquaredb
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 9:19 am

Re: Personal Advice on Canceling My Score

Postby msquaredb » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:31 am

The entire last game I answered C due to a lack of time. However, on my early practice exams I was often still able to obtain a 162-165 missing 10 or 12 on the logic games section. So I am really conflicted.

User avatar
Band A Long
Posts: 111
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:50 am

Re: Personal Advice on Canceling My Score

Postby Band A Long » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:34 am

msquaredb wrote:The entire last game I answered C due to a lack of time. However, on my early practice exams I was often still able to obtain a 162-165 missing 10 or 12 on the logic games section. So I am really conflicted.

Ok, well at least you have an idea of what you could end up with. I think at this point it just becomes personal, based on your goals, stats, etc. Maybe others will chime in if you add some more info — what is your uGPA? What schools are you aiming to get in to, or what kind of law interests you? Are there specific regions you prefer or that you have ties to? Essentially what I'm asking is — what will happen if you get a 160?

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Personal Advice on Canceling My Score

Postby Samara » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:38 am

Well, either way, if you're getting in the 160s with 10-12 wrong on logic games, retake! Logic games are easily the most learnable aspect of the test. If you spend some quality time drilling LG, you could definitely get up into the 170s by October.

msquaredb
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 9:19 am

Re: Personal Advice on Canceling My Score

Postby msquaredb » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:16 am

Band A Long wrote:
msquaredb wrote:The entire last game I answered C due to a lack of time. However, on my early practice exams I was often still able to obtain a 162-165 missing 10 or 12 on the logic games section. So I am really conflicted.

Ok, well at least you have an idea of what you could end up with. I think at this point it just becomes personal, based on your goals, stats, etc. Maybe others will chime in if you add some more info — what is your uGPA? What schools are you aiming to get in to, or what kind of law interests you? Are there specific regions you prefer or that you have ties to? Essentially what I'm asking is — what will happen if you get a 160?


My uGPA is 3.95, and I am a Biochemistry major at a large research institution. I have excellent softs. For example I have a position in which I work with faculty and the Provost and make educational policy decisions for a Big Ten university. I also hold the highest possible position a student can have in our judicial system. I hear cases from plagiarism to rape with two other faculty and our decisions (usually suspension or expulsion) are enacted by the Dean of Students. I also have a nanochemistry paper published in the leading journal in the field, and I have led missions trips to Honduras and volunteered hundreds of hours in the community.

I know I can hit 167-170. I have done it many times, but each time it hinged on my LG section. I want to do intellectual property law, so I would love to go to Berkeley. Other than that I am aiming for USC, Notre Dame, IU Bloomington, UC Davis etc. Given my GPA I will apply to more reaches than usual.

msquaredb
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 9:19 am

Re: Personal Advice on Canceling My Score

Postby msquaredb » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:18 am

Samara wrote:Well, either way, if you're getting in the 160s with 10-12 wrong on logic games, retake! Logic games are easily the most learnable aspect of the test. If you spend some quality time drilling LG, you could definitely get up into the 170s by October.


I guess what concerns me is that it isn't about knowing how to do them. It is really about freaking out. How do I fix that?! Would it simply be remedied by repetitive drilling that further builds my confidence.

I just hope I don't get this back and it is in the 150s. I don't want schools (or myself) to even see that number.

User avatar
marlo45
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: Personal Advice on Canceling My Score

Postby marlo45 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:46 am

msquaredb wrote:
Samara wrote:Well, either way, if you're getting in the 160s with 10-12 wrong on logic games, retake! Logic games are easily the most learnable aspect of the test. If you spend some quality time drilling LG, you could definitely get up into the 170s by October.


I guess what concerns me is that it isn't about knowing how to do them. It is really about freaking out. How do I fix that?! Would it simply be remedied by repetitive drilling that further builds my confidence.

I just hope I don't get this back and it is in the 150s. I don't want schools (or myself) to even see that number.

Try to enjoy doing them. Approach them as fun, brain teasing exercises. I actually talk to myself and have a smirk on my face through LG sections.

You already know how to do them so you shouldn't be scared; only people who have problems doing them should be. It's clearly a confidence issue. So, yes, repetitive drilling will build your confidence. Cancel your score, condition your mind by drilling, retake in Oct. without the negative attitude toward games.

msquaredb
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 9:19 am

Re: Personal Advice on Canceling My Score

Postby msquaredb » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:55 am

marlo45 wrote:
msquaredb wrote:
Samara wrote:Well, either way, if you're getting in the 160s with 10-12 wrong on logic games, retake! Logic games are easily the most learnable aspect of the test. If you spend some quality time drilling LG, you could definitely get up into the 170s by October.


I guess what concerns me is that it isn't about knowing how to do them. It is really about freaking out. How do I fix that?! Would it simply be remedied by repetitive drilling that further builds my confidence.

I just hope I don't get this back and it is in the 150s. I don't want schools (or myself) to even see that number.

Try to enjoy doing them. Approach them as fun, brain teasing exercises. I actually talk to myself and have a smirk on my face through LG sections.

You already know how to do them so you shouldn't be scared; only people who have problems doing them should be. It's clearly a confidence issue. So, yes, repetitive drilling will build your confidence. Cancel your score, condition your mind by drilling, retake in Oct. without the negative attitude toward games.


So what would be the difference between canceling and doing the steps you propose and receiving my score and doing the steps you propose. If the advice to cancel based off of my previous posts or just that one?

Sorry to split hairs...I am just trying to really understand people's advice.

User avatar
marlo45
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: Personal Advice on Canceling My Score

Postby marlo45 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:59 am

msquaredb wrote:
marlo45 wrote:
msquaredb wrote:
Samara wrote:Well, either way, if you're getting in the 160s with 10-12 wrong on logic games, retake! Logic games are easily the most learnable aspect of the test. If you spend some quality time drilling LG, you could definitely get up into the 170s by October.


I guess what concerns me is that it isn't about knowing how to do them. It is really about freaking out. How do I fix that?! Would it simply be remedied by repetitive drilling that further builds my confidence.

I just hope I don't get this back and it is in the 150s. I don't want schools (or myself) to even see that number.

Try to enjoy doing them. Approach them as fun, brain teasing exercises. I actually talk to myself and have a smirk on my face through LG sections.

You already know how to do them so you shouldn't be scared; only people who have problems doing them should be. It's clearly a confidence issue. So, yes, repetitive drilling will build your confidence. Cancel your score, condition your mind by drilling, retake in Oct. without the negative attitude toward games.


So what would be the difference between canceling and doing the steps you propose and receiving my score and doing the steps you propose. If the advice to cancel based off of my previous posts or just that one?

Sorry to split hairs...I am just trying to really understand people's advice.

Because you think you may have scored in the 150s. Did you say you scored a 167 before, or was it that you think that's what you will score on a retake? Either way, i just don't think it's worth getting a score that you know doesn't reflect your potential.

edit: Furthermore, it would hurt your average for those schools that average scores, and i can't help but to think that even though some law schools say they take the highest score, they don't exactly turn a blind eye to the lower score in the evaluation process.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Personal Advice on Canceling My Score

Postby Samara » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:15 pm

No schools average, but yeah, if you think you scored in the 150s, you should probably cancel. Either way, your highest score is pretty much all that matters.

User avatar
marlo45
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: Personal Advice on Canceling My Score

Postby marlo45 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:22 pm

Samara wrote:No schools average, but yeah, if you think you scored in the 150s, you should probably cancel. Either way, your highest score is pretty much all that matters.

Is this (scroll to "School Policies on Multiple LSATs") outdated or incorrect?

msquaredb
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 9:19 am

Re: Personal Advice on Canceling My Score

Postby msquaredb » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:44 pm

marlo45 wrote:
Samara wrote:No schools average, but yeah, if you think you scored in the 150s, you should probably cancel. Either way, your highest score is pretty much all that matters.

Is this (scroll to "School Policies on Multiple LSATs") outdated or incorrect?


I think it is outdated. I just read a recent TLS interview with the Dean of Admissions for Berkeley and he said they take the highest. There may still be some that average, but Berkeley is the only one I am interested in on the "averages list" and now they are off of it.

msquaredb
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 9:19 am

Re: Personal Advice on Canceling My Score

Postby msquaredb » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:50 pm

I am really afraid to cancel and find out that there was a super favorable curve and I could have gotten a 165 even with my fuck up section.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Personal Advice on Canceling My Score

Postby Samara » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:19 pm

marlo45 wrote:
Samara wrote:No schools average, but yeah, if you think you scored in the 150s, you should probably cancel. Either way, your highest score is pretty much all that matters.

Is this (scroll to "School Policies on Multiple LSATs") outdated or incorrect?

Yes, it's outdated. I think at the time that was written, USNWR accepted whatever score was reported to them by the schools. Now, they take the highest. There has also been recent changes in LSAC policy regarding retakes. Retakes (and, consequently, LSAT medians) have risen dramatically in the past ~10 years.

Most of the articles on here are at least four years old and many were written pre-crash. The forums offer more current information.

msquaredb
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 9:19 am

Re: Personal Advice on Canceling My Score

Postby msquaredb » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:15 pm

I think I have decided to cancel. My score will certainly be worse than my recent practices and I just don't want schools to see this score. I also don't want to have to explain it away.

User avatar
Yukos
Posts: 1774
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:47 pm

Re: Personal Advice on Canceling My Score

Postby Yukos » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:38 am

msquaredb wrote:
Samara wrote:Well, either way, if you're getting in the 160s with 10-12 wrong on logic games, retake! Logic games are easily the most learnable aspect of the test. If you spend some quality time drilling LG, you could definitely get up into the 170s by October.


I guess what concerns me is that it isn't about knowing how to do them. It is really about freaking out. How do I fix that?! Would it simply be remedied by repetitive drilling that further builds my confidence.

I just hope I don't get this back and it is in the 150s. I don't want schools (or myself) to even see that number.


LG used to be by far my worst section. Then I did the games from every preptest 30-50. And I read the PowerScore bible. By test day it was by far my strongest section. Drilling works.

User avatar
goldenflash19
Posts: 477
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Personal Advice on Canceling My Score

Postby goldenflash19 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:16 am

Buy the Bible and be prepared to see two pages for each game. The Bible made the difference for me. Probably a good call about cancelling because the curve will probably be -10 to -12 at best.

msquaredb
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 9:19 am

Re: Personal Advice on Canceling My Score

Postby msquaredb » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:00 pm

goldenflash19 wrote:Buy the Bible and be prepared to see two pages for each game. The Bible made the difference for me. Probably a good call about cancelling because the curve will probably be -10 to -12 at best.


I used the bible and PS LG workbook. Some people are suggesting velocity for LG so I may try that.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 8 guests