In need of some advice. Any help is appreciated!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Oleef

In need of some advice. Any help is appreciated!

Postby Oleef » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:57 am

I applied to and was accepted (very recently) to Fordham Part Time. When I applied I mentioned how I wanted to/needed to work during law school to support my family financially, but since then I have further discussed the issue with my family and it seems that the Full Time program (finishing in 3 as opposed to 4 years) would be better for me. Originally PT was the better fit but the 20 hours employment allowed by the ABA for 1st year FT students will be adequate to meet my familial obligations, so I want to transfer to FT. My LSAT score is exactly at the 75th percentile for FT but my GPA is below the 25th percentile. Also, I was offered some merit money.

I was looking for some advice regarding the proper etiquette to ask the admissions office about transferring/being considered for the FT program. I guess I was worried about them thinking that I applied to PT just because it is easier to get in, but wanted FT to begin with or something. That isnt the case. It says on the website that they do not consider apps for both FT and PT, but they seem very friendly to people transferring between them after the first year.

Would a quick e-mail be the right way to ask them to consider my app for the FT program? It is appropriate to mention that if I cant be a FT student then I am likely to attend a diff school (American, SMU, Arizona State U)? What would be the best way to go about it? Fordham is my top choice so I really didnt want to screw this up.

I appreciate any advice!

bp shinners

Re: In need of some advice. Any help is appreciated!

Postby bp shinners » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:56 am

I would at least call them, but if it's possible, stop by their campus. Be respectful, explain your situation plainly, and see if there's anything they can do. They understand that people's situation changes (as well as their perception of their situation), so they've dealt with similar situations before.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:08 pm

The best way to approach Fordham is just as you've done here: open & honest.

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:45 am

First, I would advise you to rethink the change to FT. Law school is like a full time job in itself, and 20 hours/week at a job along with raising a family might run you insane. An extra year really won't be that bad.

If you are determined to transfer to FT, I would call the admissions office and explain your situation and ask them if you can transfer to full time. It might be difficult because by now, the class might be full and you might only be waitlisted. I definitely wouldn't mention that you won't attend if they won't transfer you. If you say no, tell that them that you will think about it and discuss the issue further with your family, and be in touch with them as to a final decision

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”