Course selection difficulty

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
flyingboy

Course selection difficulty

Postby flyingboy » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:46 pm

Hi everyone,

My GPA for my first two years of college is 3.67 but it made a pretty big leap from freshman to sophomore year (3.55 to 3.8). I was thinking about double-majoring but now I realize that doing so may drag down my GPA and take time away from preparing for law school admission. If I don't double major, I'm going to have to take a bunch of introductory or intermediate humanity courses to fulfill my credit requirement along with regular courses for my major. Will I get marked down by the admission committees for taking a "non-challenging" schedule? Do double-majoring help your chance of getting in? And lastly, do schools look at GPA for your major?

Thank you and I'd appreciate whatever information you can give me!

JDizzle2015

Re: Course selection difficulty

Postby JDizzle2015 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:24 pm

You won't get marked down for "non-challenging" courses.

Double-majoring won't help.

No, all law school admissions offices care about is your LSAC GPA which is calculated by weighing every class you've taken at the collegiate level before you were awarded your first bachelors degree.

HTH.

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:51 am

flyingboy wrote:. Will I get marked down by the admission committees for taking a "non-challenging" schedule? Do double-majoring help your chance of getting in? And lastly, do schools look at GPA for your major?

No.

Not really.

No. They only care about your LSAC GPA.

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:40 am

You probably won't get marked down

One of my majors was Spanish, and I honestly think it helped a lot with admissions and scholarships, so I guess it depends on what your second major is and whether or not it will add to the school's diversity. (A Poly-sci and English double major probably won't help)

I know they put emphasis on LSAC GPA, but they do receive your transcripts so I imagine that they at least note your major GPA. Your overall GPA is probably more important

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”