Account on dating site

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tina3

Account on dating site

Postby tina3 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:41 pm

This is silly, but is there a way law schools can find out you have a dating site account? Would they hold it against you if you did? Is it like the situation with Facebook etc. where you need to delete/disable it when you apply?

franklyscarlet

Re: Account on dating site

Postby franklyscarlet » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:46 pm

tina3 wrote:This is silly, but is there a way law schools can find out you have a dating site account? Would they hold it against you if you did? Is it like the situation with Facebook etc. where you need to delete/disable it when you apply?

What?

Wait... What?

donniedarko

Postby donniedarko » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:50 pm

Probably. I don't know for sure but I'd avoid it just to be safe.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:50 pm

OP, that is TLS talk for "no they will not care about your online dating site"

Edit: in reference to this

franklyscarlet wrote:
What?

Wait... What?

tina3

Postby tina3 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:52 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
tina3 wrote:This is silly, but is there a way law schools can find out you have a dating site account? Would they hold it against you if you did? Is it like the situation with Facebook etc. where you need to delete/disable it when you apply?

What?

Wait... What?

Haha, I could have worded my question better. My friend applied to law school last year and he told me that they have a way of using your IP number to see what sites you have accounts on like a dating site (ie. OkCupid). I thought it sounded a bit paranoid, but he said that every law school applicant knows this. So, basically, I am asking if this is true. I am on several of these sites and was wondering if there is anything to worry about, like they will somehow be able to find my profile.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:54 pm

No, humans do not have IP numbers, computers have IP [addresses] however.

Do you intend on submitting your PC with your application?

tina3

Postby tina3 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:56 pm

Br3v wrote:OP, that is TLS talk for "no they will not care about your online dating site"

Edit: in reference to this

franklyscarlet wrote:
What?

Wait... What?

Thanks for the explanation. It is a little ridiculous to think they would care, but then you hear all these things about Facebook. I'm not sure how big of a deal all of this is to them if a person has a high LSAT and GPA.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:57 pm

Ok, I'll bite. Do you advertise your illegal cannibalistic fetishes on your dating profile under your real name? If so, maybe it's a problem. If not, law schools won't penalize you for being FA.

ETA: if it's the former, tulane will probably take you.

tina3

Postby tina3 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:58 pm

Br3v wrote:No, humans do not have IP numbers, computers have IP [addresses] however.

Again, this is paranoid, but my friend submitted his application off a library computer so that the application would not be submitted from a computer that he used for social networking or personal matters so they would not have his computer's IP address.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:59 pm

tina3 wrote:
Br3v wrote:No, humans do not have IP numbers, computers have IP [addresses] however.

Again, this is paranoid, but my friend submitted his application off a library computer so that the application would not be submitted from a computer that he used for social networking or personal matters so they would not have his computer's IP address.

The real issue here is that your friend is a nutbag.

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:08 am

franklyscarlet wrote:
tina3 wrote:

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:14 am

lol

dkb17xzx

Postby dkb17xzx » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:15 am

franklyscarlet wrote:
tina3 wrote:

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:17 am

tina3 wrote:

Your friend is a dumb.

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:19 am

Curious what law school he ended up at though?

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:16 am

LOL

I can't even pinpoint anything specific in this thread that made me laugh, just the whole thing together.

Also, OP, keep in mind that you submit your application to LSAC, not individual schools. So there is a whole extra layer between your IP address and the schools that want to snoop around in your dating life.

LOLyer

Postby LOLyer » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:22 am

They can find pretty much any account you have through your email address. This includes your TLS account.

I would encourage everyone (especially the more douchey TLS posters) to use a different email address for online activity than the one you put on your resume.

BVest

Postby BVest » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:16 am

LOLyer wrote:They can find pretty much any account you have through your email address. This includes your TLS account.

I would encourage everyone (especially the more douchey TLS posters) to use a different email address for online activity than the one you put on your resume.

Not actually true, as this depends on the privacy policies of various sites and your settings thereon.

LE can certainly find accounts you have through your email address, though if LE is pulling that kind of stuff, they'll soon enough have direct access to your computer via warrant or wiretap.

LOLyer

Postby LOLyer » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:00 pm

BVest wrote:
LOLyer wrote:They can find pretty much any account you have through your email address. This includes your TLS account.

Not actually true, as this depends on the privacy policies of various sites and your settings thereon.

Yes, if you want to get technical. But many (I would say the majority) of sites display your email on at least one page that a search engine scanning bot has access to.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:29 pm

Adult Friend Finder or the cheating spouse site, you might want to delete....

Christian Mingle or E Harmony who cares......

Facebook, who cares unless you actually have something to hide.....

TLS, sure, go into the acceptance thread of the school you want to got into and drop a lot of F bombs and how they suck because they didn't give YOU $$$.....

No one is as anonymous online as they think they are but so long as you aren't doing anything that could be viewed as an ethical issue who cares if they can or cannot use your IP address to find your various accounts.... Not that they would anyway unless you gave them a reason to dig....

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”