GPA Addendum for Illness? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
glaw01

New

GPA Addendum for Illness?

Post by glaw01 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:08 pm

I'm a relatively decent student with a current 3.76 GPA in a 5-year master's of accounting program. Last fall, I got sick and ended up making a LOT of B's in one semester. Should I include an addendum with my application to explain this?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: GPA Addendum for Illness?

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:21 pm

Health problems can be a legit addendum topic. But define 'sick.' Did you have a bad flu? No, don't write the addendum. If it was something more along the lines of mono or anemia, it'd probably be fine to write one. If it was something REALLY serious like cancer, definitely write it.

A lot of people include 'documentation can be provided upon request' with a health-related addendum, so if you have a record of doctor's office visits, prescription meds, admittance to the hospital, etc., it would support your claim. If you were just feeling crappy for a couple of weeks and maybe saw the doc once to get some prescription cough syrup, that's a little iffy.

glaw01

New

Post by glaw01 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:27 pm

Rinkrat, you called it - I ended up with iron deficiency anemia and it wrecked me. Think AdComms will really care, though? I don't want to come across as a whiner. :)

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:43 pm

glaw01 wrote:Rinkrat, you called it - I ended up with iron deficiency anemia and it wrecked me. Think AdComms will really care, though? I don't want to come across as a whiner. :)
They won't care enough to let you outperform your numbers, but it might remove the small red flag that an outlier bad semester might cause.

dtownlove

New

Post by dtownlove » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:10 pm

I think it would be silly not to add one, especially since you had a legitimate illness. Otherwise the schools might get the impression that for that one semester you either a) simply weren't able to master the work, or b) didn't care enough to put in the effort to get your regular As.

I'm thinking an explanation (and the probably low risk of being perceived as a 'whiner') is probably a better choice than either of the other two assumptions they may make.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”