Miss Cleo anyone?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
brando9

Miss Cleo anyone?

Postby brando9 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:13 am

Hey yall. Please lend me your insight if possible!

So, here's my situation. I am currently registered to take the June LSAT and am finishing up a really great prep course and am now wondering what my plan of attack should be.

I want to go to law school in Colorado (University Colorado-Boulder AVG. 3.6 GPA 164 LSAT) or Chicago, with plans of settling down in Colorado for good. If I stay here in Chicago I don't want to go to an average law school. Northwestern (AVG 3.8 GPA 170 LSAT) would be ideal because I know it would be a very marketable degree even in Colorado whereas a degree from say DePaul or another one of the run of the mill schools would not have much value were I to leave the state.

My college GPA was a 3.7 from a very strong school and I have a somewhat unique story having played a D1 sport as well as 3 years professionally. My LSAT diagnostic score was a 156 and I've been steadily improving over the course of my prep course with my most recent score being 164. I consistently get 0 to 1 wrong on LG and LR I seem to get about 3 wrong per section, but RC is my achilles. I still get around 10 wrong. I know I have completely neglected this section because I wanted to conquer logic games and LR. I know I can improve on RC and get my score to a 170. I am a very diligent worker and put in as much time as I need to achieve a goal.

So now I have to make the decision of wether I should postpone and take the October LSAT to get that 170 or stay the course and see how I do in June and reevaluate after I get my score.

Any thoughts? Would I hurt my chances if I took both tests? Will I be behind the 8ball for admissions if I decide to take the October test?

Thank you to any and all!

Cheers.

jkpolk

Re: Miss Cleo anyone?

Postby jkpolk » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:30 am

brando9 wrote:Hey yall. Please lend me your insight if possible!

So, here's my situation. I am currently registered to take the June LSAT and am finishing up a really great prep course and am now wondering what my plan of attack should be.

I want to go to law school in Colorado (University Colorado-Boulder AVG. 3.6 GPA 164 LSAT) or Chicago, with plans of settling down in Colorado for good. If I stay here in Chicago I don't want to go to an average law school. Northwestern (AVG 3.8 GPA 170 LSAT) would be ideal because I know it would be a very marketable degree even in Colorado whereas a degree from say DePaul or another one of the run of the mill schools would not have much value were I to leave the state.

My college GPA was a 3.7 from a very strong school and I have a somewhat unique story having played a D1 sport as well as 3 years professionally. My LSAT diagnostic score was a 156 and I've been steadily improving over the course of my prep course with my most recent score being 164. I consistently get 0 to 1 wrong on LG and LR I seem to get about 3 wrong per section, but RC is my achilles. I still get around 10 wrong. I know I have completely neglected this section because I wanted to conquer logic games and LR. I know I can improve on RC and get my score to a 170. I am a very diligent worker and put in as much time as I need to achieve a goal.

So now I have to make the decision of wether I should postpone and take the October LSAT to get that 170 or stay the course and see how I do in June and reevaluate after I get my score.

Any thoughts? Would I hurt my chances if I took both tests? Will I be behind the 8ball for admissions if I decide to take the October test?

Thank you to any and all!

Cheers.

1) Study more, you're not ready yet
2) Get application package ready to send ASAP
3) Take test in October
4) If Score > 170 Send apps immediately on receipt of score, if score <170 Retake
5) If you're already PTing @ 164, Dont waste a 3.7 on <T14

phillykid

Postby phillykid » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:32 am

Fellow college athlete here (D2). What sport? Anyways, I would take it in June if Boulder is where you want to go. If it doesn't go well there's always the Oct. retake option. GL with whatever you decide.

brando9

Postby brando9 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:43 am

Thanks polk.

So are you saying have the admissions package ready to go and then send it off after I receive my score (if it's a 170+)?

Also, if I take the June test and decide I need a better score, should I not apply until I get that next score?

brando9

Postby brando9 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:44 am

Thanks Philly. Thanks for the response. Hockey was my sport of choice. You?

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:48 am

Predicting your chances for admission are impossible without a real score. You would not hurt your chances by taking the test twice. Applying as soon as you get your Oct score is on time and will not put you at any disadvantage

jkpolk

Postby jkpolk » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:59 am

brando9 wrote:Thanks polk.

So are you saying have the admissions package ready to go and then send it off after I receive my score (if it's a 170+)?

Also, if I take the June test and decide I need a better score, should I not apply until I get that next score?

Yeah- then youll have peace of mind, all you'll need to focus on is crushing the test. I wouldnt worry about even taking the June test if you aren't regularly PTing high 160s low 170s, follow some guides in the forum and optimize your performance. best of luck

brando9

Postby brando9 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:05 pm

Thank you sir. Much appreciated.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”