Specialty Rank vs. Overall Rank

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
msquaredb

Specialty Rank vs. Overall Rank

Postby msquaredb » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:53 pm

How much does specialty rank really matter? For instance, University of Houston and Santa Clara University are top ten for intellectual property but nowhere near the top ten over all.

Re: Specialty Rank vs. Overall Rank

Postby 071816 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:54 pm

Specialty rankings are horse shit.

gaud

Postby gaud » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:54 pm

They don't matter enough to justify attending a low ranked school.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:31 pm

msquaredb wrote:How much does specialty rank really matter? For instance, University of Houston and Santa Clara University are top ten for intellectual property but nowhere near the top ten over all.

Those law schools both suck. Attend somewhere good.

Excellent117

Postby Excellent117 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:53 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
msquaredb wrote:How much does specialty rank really matter? For instance, University of Houston and Santa Clara University are top ten for intellectual property but nowhere near the top ten over all.

But Santa Clara is so close to Silicon Valley!!

Postby 071816 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:55 am

Excellent117 wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

It's in the fuckin Silicon Valley.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:23 am

Specialty rankings do not matter.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:36 am

chimp wrote:
Excellent117 wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

It's in the fuckin Silicon Valley.

To be honest, I think that fact actually helps Santa Clara students way more than you would otherwise expect from a school of its rank. They seem to be extremely well represented in the major companies there (at least as interns).

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:50 am

piccolittle wrote:To be honest, I think that fact actually helps Santa Clara students way more than you would otherwise expect from a school of its rank. They seem to be extremely well represented in the major companies there (at least as interns).

SCU's law school as a whole seems to underperform (their full time, bar passage required percentage is abysmal even by T2/T3 standards). That being said, I've pored through associate backgrounds and seen a decent amount of patent agent > SCU > associate. Granted these people also had connections (and even a possible guarantee) from their old job at big firm on top of their technical degrees so they really are outliers and not representative of what the average person can expect from SCU.

DildaMan

Postby DildaMan » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:57 pm

^. All the people I know that attended SCU and found good legal employment after law school practiced patent litigation/prosecution and had either a strong technical background or had been working at high-tech companies prior to attending.

msquaredb

Postby msquaredb » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:11 pm

^^^ What does strong technical background mean? I will graduate with a Biochemistry from a large research institution and I have research experience and a publication in the field of nanomaterials. I feel like this is about as much technical experience that you can have unless you start seeking a higher degree.

Also, does SCU usually produce tech IP lawyers rather than the life sciences type. I would imagine there are many life sciences startups in the Bay Area.

DildaMan

Postby DildaMan » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:45 pm

msquaredb wrote:^^^ What does strong technical background mean? I will graduate with a Biochemistry from a large research institution and I have research experience and a publication in the field of nanomaterials. I feel like this is about as much technical experience that you can have unless you start seeking a higher degree.

Strong technical background means work experience in the field, or as you listed research and publications. It really just depends if you're going straight out of undergrad or spent a few years working.

msquaredb wrote:Also, does SCU usually produce tech IP lawyers rather than the life sciences type. I would imagine there are many life sciences startups in the Bay Area.

All of the people I know handle tech IP, but then again all of them are EE, CE, or CS majors. I know one Bio major, but she had a Phd prior to starting law school.

RedBirds2011

Postby RedBirds2011 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:47 pm

msquaredb wrote:^^^ What does strong technical background mean? I will graduate with a Biochemistry from a large research institution and I have research experience and a publication in the field of nanomaterials. I feel like this is about as much technical experience that you can have unless you start seeking a higher degree.

Also, does SCU usually produce tech IP lawyers rather than the life sciences type. I would imagine there are many life sciences startups in the Bay Area.

You will face a pretty big uphill battle getting into bio related IP without a PhD.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”