Does the name of my undergrad help me with admission?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JohniB

Does the name of my undergrad help me with admission?

Postby JohniB » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:18 pm

I just graduated from the University of Buffalo and I would like to know if the name of my school helps me? I have been told by my counselor that the name of this school will help me and will make my Grade Point Average look better because my school is more rigorous than a no name state school. Is this true? Am in a better position than people who go to small schools that are not ranked at all? And other ranked school because of the prestige of my school? Also, my school is ranked 111th in the best colleges in the United States and 54th in best public schools in the United States. Those are just a couple of the rankings.

dowu

Re: Does the name of my undergrad help me with admission?

Postby dowu » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:20 pm

JohniB wrote:I just graduated from the University of Buffalo and I would like to know if the name of my school helps me? I have been told by my counselor that the name of this school will help me and will make my Grade Point Average look better because my school is more rigorous than a no name state school. Is this true? Am in a better position than people who go to small schools that are not ranked at all? And other ranked school because of the prestige of my school? Also, my school is ranked 111th in the best colleges in the United States and 54th in best public schools in the United States. Those are just a couple of the rankings.

No. Don't count anything from it because the name of your school is mostly negligible as far as adcoms are concerned. The exceptions are Harvard, Yale, Princeton, and only a few others - but even then, still not anything to waste a glimmer of a thought on. As you'll find, LS admissions is primarily a numbers game (GPA and LSAT). The only other thing I can think of that would be more than marginally beneficial is being a URM.

Good luck!

dowu

Postby dowu » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:23 pm

flem wrote:
JohniB wrote:Also, my school is ranked 111th in the best colleges in the United States and 54th in best public schools in the United States. Those are just a couple of the rankings.

I'M BLINDED BY THE PREFTIGE

I take my previous statements back. I had no idea your school was so preftigious.

Lawl Shcool

Postby Lawl Shcool » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:25 pm

This thread will not end well.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:26 pm

I've never even heard of the University of Buffalo.

It will matter just slightly more than your astrological sign and your favorite color.

JohniB

Postby JohniB » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:28 pm

Are you saying University of Buffalo would not be looked at a higher standard than the average state school? Because of our programs are seen as rigorous nationally, from what i have been told by my counselor; I am a Political Science major and my school has a minus system and that is a tough program at my school and my counselor and classmates told me it is looked at higher. For example, if I have a 3.3, my counselor said it would be looked at as a 3.4-3.5 at a regular state school, which may be easier because that school's reputation is not nationally recognized.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:29 pm

My undergrad is ranked number 1 for best weather in the country. So I beat you in that regard OP. :)

Your 3.3 is going to get beaten by 3.4s in community colleges all over the country.

ETA: Also, stop listening to your advisor. He or she sounds terrible.
Last edited by Mal Reynolds on Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marlo45

Postby marlo45 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:30 pm

JohniB wrote:I just graduated from the University of Buffalo and I would like to know if the name of my school helps me? I have been told by my counselor that the name of this school will help me and will make my Grade Point Average look better because my school is more rigorous than a no name state school. Is this true? Am in a better position than people who go to small schools that are not ranked at all? And other ranked school because of the prestige of my school? Also, my school is ranked 111th in the best colleges in the United States and 54th in best public schools in the United States. Those are just a couple of the rankings.

There's a thread There are a lot of threads on here that addresses this. The general consensus is that it does not matter. One guy claimed to have had a conversation with a dean of admissions that told him they look at GPAs from prestigious schools differently than they do for, um, 'bumfuck' university i think someone else termed it. I don't think your school will put you over the edge.

edit: fixed for the obvious reason.
Last edited by marlo45 on Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:31 pm

Your counselor is probably wrong. Your 3.3 might be a 3.5 if it was a Princeton 3.3 but university of buffalo...

Also thanks to this thread I just checked and my undergrad is ranked like 30 higher than yours in public schools and people would lol pretty hard if I tried to claim it was prestigious.
Last edited by snehpets on Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

moneybagsphd

Postby moneybagsphd » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:32 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:

No. Don't count anything from it because the name of your school is mostly negligible as far as adcoms are concerned. The exceptions are Harvard, Yale, Princeton, and only a few others - but even then, still not anything to waste a glimmer of a thought on. As you'll find, LS admissions is primarily a numbers game (GPA and LSAT). The only other thing I can think of that would be more than marginally beneficial is being a URM.

Good luck!

This bit of TLS lore has always bothered me. HYP are generally prestigious schools, but LS adcomms probably also make exceptions for prestigious programs at other schools. A high GPA in Electrical Engineering from Berkeley, MIT, CalTech, or Stanford is a lot more meaningful than a high engineering GPA from HYP.
ETA: I realize btw that you left it open ended--"and only a few others." The general consensus seems to be HYP have an edge. I don't think that makes any sense.
Last edited by moneybagsphd on Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ringo

Postby ringo » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:32 pm

To everyone outside of Buffalo, your school is a "no name state school." Your counselor is crazy.

Edit: tflem beat me to it

kwais

Postby kwais » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:34 pm

JohniB wrote:Are you saying University of Buffalo would not be looked at a higher standard than the average state school? Because of our programs are seen as rigorous nationally, from what i have been told by my counselor; I am a Political Science major and my school has a minus system and that is a tough program at my school and my counselor and classmates told me it is looked at higher. For example, if I have a 3.3, my counselor said it would be looked at as a 3.4-3.5 at a regular state school, which may be easier because that school's reputation is not nationally recognized.

There are few people on earth who know less about LS admissions than undergrad counselors. There is no question that UBuffalo is a non-factor. Also, do yourself a favor and don't tell too many people outside your school that you think you went to an above average school. This is not the case. Good luck

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:35 pm

I know that the chicks at Buffalo are fucking sluts when the come to south florida.
Last edited by Mr. Pancakes on Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohniB

Postby JohniB » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:36 pm

flem wrote:
JohniB wrote:Are you saying University of Buffalo would not be looked at a higher standard than the average state school?

lol Buffalo is the average state school brah

No, I am comparing it to let's say X University that is not even a research school or have any PH.d Programs, or just have a low ranking (a regular no name state school). For example, I would have a better shot with lower grades than less say Columbus State University in Columbus, Georgia.
Last edited by JohniB on Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:37 pm

JohniB wrote:
flem wrote:
JohniB wrote:Are you saying University of Buffalo would not be looked at a higher standard than the average state school?

No, I am comparing it to let's say X University that is not even a research school or have any PH.d Programs, or just have a low ranking. For example, I would have a better shot with lower grades than less say Columbus State University in Columbus, Georgia.

same thing.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:38 pm

Kurst wrote:Does your undergrad school matter? Can it help an applicant?
Does your undergraduate institution matter?
Importance of undergrade prestige for T14?
3.0 from Dartmouth versus 3.0 from state school
Non-elite UG: a T-6 killer?
Any T14 students here started at community college for UG?
Do T14's look down on community colleges?
It doesn't matter where you went for UG!
What Undergraduate School should I pick to help my LS Admiss
Should I Transfer Undergraduate Schools?
High numbers, low undergrad prestigue
Does the undergraduate school matter?
Undergraduate Advice
How much does your undergraduate Institution Matter?
How important is undergrad prestige?
Why is it that UG institution is irrelevant?
Does Undergraduate School Matter?
to what degree does undergraduate institution matter at HYS?
does undergrad matter at all?
Do law schools really care what school you attended for UG?
How much does UG matter?
College Freshman looking at Law School
178 LSAT, 3.93 GPA - Does UG really matter?
Importance of Undergrad Institution
Unknown Undergraduate Institution
Weight of UG institution in LS+ Big Law
UG MATTERS! Don't believe the hype
Will undergrad prestige matter?
Does undergraduate school matter?
Does where you went Undergraduate matter?
does your undergrad university prestige matter?
How much does undergrad school matter?
Does your undergraduate school matter?
Does Undergraduate School Matter?
Does the Undergrad School you graduate from matter?
Does school matter?
Undergrad Prestige
snob appeal of your undergraduate institution
Question about GPA major and school prestige
Is UG prestige a factor in the admission process?
OS Updates: Yes, Virginia, Undergraduate Schools Matter.
How much does where you went to undergrad matter?
Why does quality of undergrad matter so little?
How much does where you did undergrad matter?
How much does what undergrad school you attend matter?
Undergrad doesn't matter! (unless it's a good one)
Does undergrad matter
Quality of undergrad institution does matter!
Does undergrad matter?
Undergrad doesnt matter? WSJ disagrees.
Name of Undergrad School Matter in Applying?
How much weight is given to your undergrad college?
Importance of Undergraduate University??
Does it matter where you do your UG studies for T14 schools?
Does quality of undergrad make a significant difference?
Does UG Really Not Matter?
How much does where you went for UG factor in?

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:39 pm

You might want to run any other advice your counselor has given you by the people in this forum. It sounds like they don't know anything about admissions. Law schools primarily care about GPA and LSAT scores.

moneybagsphd

Postby moneybagsphd » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:40 pm

JohniB wrote:
flem wrote:

No, I am comparing it to let's say X University that is not even a research school or have any PH.d Programs, or just have a low ranking. For example, I would have a better shot with lower grades than less say Columbus State University in Columbus, Georgia.

It's lucky for you that UG prestige isn't a factor in LS admissions. Because you'll be going up against kids who went to Berkeley, UVA, Michigan, UCLA, etc (just to name public schools). You will also be applying with people who went to Ivies, Stanford, Duke, U Chicago, etc. There are a fuckload of prestigious colleges in the US, and yours isn't one of them.

JohniB

Postby JohniB » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:42 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
JohniB wrote:
flem wrote:

same thing.

So are you saying that I have the same chances from Buffalo, a nationally ranked school, as some kid from Columbus State University (has no ranking at all)? And if I have a 3.3 from University of Buffalo, and he has a 3.4-3.5 from Columbus State University that he has a better shot than I do applying to law schools?

law2015

Postby law2015 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:43 pm

This guy is clearly a flame, I can't believe people actually responded seriously.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:43 pm

JohniB wrote:
And if I have a 3.3 from University of Buffalo, and he has a 3.4-3.5 from Columbus State University that he has a better shot than I do applying to law schools?

yes. his GPA is higher.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:44 pm

moneybagsphd wrote:
nmop_apisdn wrote:

Good luck!

This bit of TLS lore has always bothered me. HYP are generally prestigious schools, but LS adcomms probably also make exceptions for prestigious programs at other schools. A high GPA in Electrical Engineering from Berkeley, MIT, CalTech, or Stanford is a lot more meaningful than a high engineering GPA from HYP.
ETA: I realize btw that you left it open ended--"and only a few others." The general consensus seems to be HYP have an edge. I don't think that makes any sense.

It may not make sense to you, but with years of LSN, the CW has enough evidence to get this right. Schools don't evaluate candidates the way you think they should.

soj

Postby soj » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:44 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Kurst wrote:KURSTED

Oh thank god, I miss Kurst in the on-topics.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:44 pm

law2015 wrote:This guy is clearly a flame, I can't believe people actually responded seriously.

JohniB

Postby JohniB » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:47 pm

flem wrote:
JohniB wrote:No, I am comparing it to let's say X University that is not even a research school or have any PH.d Programs, or just have a low ranking (a regular no name state school). For example, I would have a better shot with lower grades than less say Columbus State University in Columbus, Georgia.

Bro you attended a state diploma mill exactly like I did, deluding yourself into believing that there's some vague notion of prestige based on being ranked 111th in USNews is laughable, and a kid for Columbus State with a 4.0 is going to ruin your shit every time.

That's just our nationally ranking. We are ranked higher in certain programs. For example, we are ranked 17th in our Pharmaceutical Science and Anesthesia program.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”