What school this? Top school asks profs to recruit.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sunynp

What school this? Top school asks profs to recruit.

Postby sunynp » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:20 pm

Today's post by campos on his blog discusses an unidentified top school. The school is having trouble filling its class and asks profs to volunteer to recruit students. The profs will email potentials and encourage them to attend.

So far the comments have guessed Michigan, northwestern and Texas. But no one has a good reason for their guess. The Michigan guess was based on taking a mean shot at campos.

I'm thinking it might be a higher ranked school. What about Columbia or Nyu. I think Columbia has been admitting off waitlist which they haven't before, but so have other schools.

Any guesses as to what school it is?
http://insidethelawschoolscam.blogspot. ... osing.html

lawschool?s

Re: What school this? Top school asks profs to recruit.

Postby lawschool?s » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:36 pm

University of Colorado sent me a super nice email from a professor like praising my personal statement and saying how well of a fit I would be. I was actually very impressed that a professor would go out of his way to write that, esspecially when my personal statement wasn't that special.

banjo

Postby banjo » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:39 pm

I'd guess George Washington.

ajaxconstructions

Postby ajaxconstructions » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:43 pm

Georgetown

EdgarWinter

Postby EdgarWinter » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:49 pm

Last edited by EdgarWinter on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

newpoaster

Postby newpoaster » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:01 pm

sunynp wrote:I'm thinking it might be a higher ranked school. What about Columbia or Nyu. I think Columbia has been admitting off waitlist which they haven't before, but so have other schools.

I was admitted off Columbia's reserve and subsequently withdrew (after sticker shock set in). Based on my interactions with admissions, I doubt it's them.

dowu

Postby dowu » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:04 pm

:shock: :shock:
Last edited by dowu on Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:05 pm

The desperation level is expected to increase next cycle due to fewer law school applications as suggested by the lower number of LSAT test takers.

aca0260

Postby aca0260 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:09 pm

I'd guess GW - high tuition, expensive location, huge class, saturated local legal market

dowu

Postby dowu » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:09 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:The desperation level is expected to increase next cycle due to fewer law school applications as suggested by the lower number of LSAT test takers.

Good to hear.

Pate

Postby Pate » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:14 pm

I guess one way to find out, locate the law school that never rejects anyone!

dowu

Postby dowu » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:22 pm

Pate wrote:I guess one way to find out, locate the law school that never rejects anyone!

cOOLEY?

ETA: Any school beyond tier 1.

NewYorkL

Postby NewYorkL » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:12 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:The desperation level is expected to increase next cycle due to fewer law school applications as suggested by the lower number of LSAT test takers.

Source?

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:16 pm

NewYorkL wrote:

Source?

It is known

marlo45

Postby marlo45 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:25 pm

NewYorkL wrote:

Source?

Look here

NewYorkL

Postby NewYorkL » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:27 pm

marlo45 wrote:
NewYorkL wrote:

Source?

Look here

Nice.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:35 pm

EdgarWinter wrote:Campos has a way of exaggerating the import of some pieces of information. Many schools (including lots of T14 ones) have profs emailing applicants as a matter of course. This means profs are helping the school recruit "people that they want" as opposed to just "people." I could easily see him forgetting the "that they want" part.

On second thought, OP also has an apparent tendency to exaggerate the import of certain information. An "unusually competitive year for law schools in their attempts to get prospective students to enroll" does not necessarily mean that there is difficulty in getting classes to fill. It probably just means that there is difficulty in getting classes to fill with people who won't drag down medians or something.

1. The email to faculty that campos got from his source was a change in their normal way of recruiting. That doesnt mean other schools haven't been asking faculty to email students in the past.

2. I didn't mean to say that the school in question couldn't get anyone to fill their class. I thought it was obvious that a top school is going to be fighting hard to maintain ( or improve) the means. Sorry if that was unclear.

My take-away is that a very top school is (possibly for the first time) asking profs for help with recruiting because they are having trouble getting enough of the students they want to enroll.

Pate

Postby Pate » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:10 pm

Sounds fine. . . except. Top schools are wait-listing and rejecting applicants. Maybe the quarrel is with applicant scores. One could argue that with fewer students turning to LS perhaps some schools may have to settle for a slightly less GPA/LSAT score.

IMO: That does not ring true for the top schools given that the T-14 is only looking for 4,200 bodies. (My understanding was that this was about a highly rated school asking their professors to solicit).

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:07 pm

Pate wrote:Sounds fine. . . except. Top schools are wait-listing and rejecting applicants. Maybe the quarrel is with applicant scores. One could argue that with fewer students turning to LS perhaps some schools may have to settle for a slightly less GPA/LSAT score.

IMO: That does not ring true for the top schools given that the T-14 is only looking for 4,200 bodies. (My understanding was that this was about a highly rated school asking their professors to solicit).

If you didnt read the link here are the first few paragraphs:
A faculty member at an elite law school has forwarded me an email the entire faculty received earlier this week. The email explains that, because of a combination of all the bad news about law school graduate employment prospects and the improving employment prospects in other fields [???], this has turned into an unusually competitive year for law schools in their attempts to get prospective students to enroll.

In these circumstances, the faculty are told, a phone call or even a short email from a faculty member to an admitted student could make a big difference, even if the faculty member has nothing to say beyond this school is great and I'm happy to answer questions. Faculty who want to pitch in will be given a list of admitted students to contact.

Although I'm not at liberty to disclose the identity of the school it's a place that 96.738% of law school applicants would have loved to get into before David Segal et. al. started harshing legal academia's mellow, and where the faculty are paid stupendous sums (I have seen their compensation structure) to teach 2.27 classes per year and tell the Supreme Court what to do. Even by legal academic standards it's a particularly sweet gig, so from the standpoint of pure self-interest the recipients of this email ought to bestir themselves and get on the phone or at least the computer.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:37 am

sunynp wrote:Today's post by campos on his blog discusses an unidentified top school. The school is having trouble filling its class and asks profs to volunteer to recruit students. The profs will email potentials and encourage them to attend.

So far the comments have guessed Michigan, northwestern and Texas. But no one has a good reason for their guess. The Michigan guess was based on taking a mean shot at campos.

I'm thinking it might be a higher ranked school. What about Columbia or Nyu. I think Columbia has been admitting off waitlist which they haven't before, but so have other schools.

I'd guess WUSTL or GWU. I'd make the same guesses regarding Campos' recent assertion that a Top 20 school is offering huge scholarships to its admitted students this summer in order to compensate for a smaller 1L class than normal.

WUSTL dropped in the rankings and has always been desperate to rise and has a history of offering larger-than-normal scholarships to LSAT splitters.

GWU traditionally has one of the biggest classes and would definitely feel the pain if their incoming classes was significantly smaller than normal. They've also slowly earned the title of "Trap school" these past 2 years.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:46 am

Probably not a T10 or T6 or Campos would say.

cusenation wrote:
sunynp wrote:Today's post by campos on his blog discusses an unidentified top school. The school is having trouble filling its class and asks profs to volunteer to recruit students. The profs will email potentials and encourage them to attend.

I'd guess WUSTL or GWU. I'd make the same guesses regarding Campos' recent assertion that a Top 20 school is offering huge scholarships to its admitted students this summer in order to compensate for a smaller 1L class than normal.

WUSTL dropped in the rankings and has always been desperate to rise and has a history of offering larger-than-normal scholarships to LSAT splitters.

GWU traditionally has one of the biggest classes and would definitely feel the pain if their incoming classes was significantly smaller than normal. They've also slowly earned the title of "Trap school" these past 2 years.

I think this is right. GWU especially has been having a tough time this year and is definitely a school that didn't have trouble meeting its admissions goals before last year.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”