Publication Worth

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
msquaredb

Publication Worth

Postby msquaredb » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:33 am

I am a science major who wishes to pursue intellectual property law, so naturally I have been interested in research and have been very active in research. I was recently published in what is widely regarded as the best journal in the field (aside from Nature*insert field name*).

Question 1:
One of the themes of my essay will be my diverse academic background and my interest in intellectual property law. Do law schools care?

Question 2:
I think that having a publication illustrates intelligence, dedication, attention to detail, and problem solving skills. However, will law schools understand or appreciate a publication?

P.S. I really want to go to Berkeley for IP. If anybody has specific comments in regards to that school I would certainly welcomes them.

BVest

Re: Publication Worth

Postby BVest » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:41 am

1) Yes, in as much as they care about softs.

2) Yes, they will understand and appreciate. It wouldn't hurt to mention the prestige or impact factor of the journal, as they may not be familiar with that particular journal. And, of course, be sure you submit a CV rather than a résumé so it makes sense to have a publications & presentations section.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:23 pm

msquaredb wrote:Question 1:
One of the themes of my essay will be my diverse academic background and my interest in intellectual property law. Do law schools care?

This worries me for two reasons.

First, 'one of the themes' suggests that there are at least two themes. That's at least one too many. Your personal statement should focus on one theme; there's no way you can possibly develop two themes well in a two-page essay. Maybe you can pull it off for Berkeley.

Second, talking about your diverse academic background creates two problems. First, it sounds like you're just rehashing/highlighting specific things from your resume. Second, it sounds like I can already get that information by looking at other pieces of your application. Your personal statement shouldn't do either of these things.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:27 pm

bp shinners wrote:
msquaredb wrote:Question 1:

This worries me for two reasons.

First, 'one of the themes' suggests that there are at least two themes. That's at least one too many. Your personal statement should focus on one theme; there's no way you can possibly develop two themes well in a two-page essay. Maybe you can pull it off for Berkeley.

Second, talking about your diverse academic background creates two problems. First, it sounds like you're just rehashing/highlighting specific things from your resume. Second, it sounds like I can already get that information by looking at other pieces of your application. Your personal statement shouldn't do either of these things.
Unless you actually have a diverse background, e.g. a BA in English lit, an MS in biochemistry and a PhD in psychology
In which case you need to explain that your JD is merely a stepping stone on your way to becoming the first legitimate lifelong student

msquaredb

Postby msquaredb » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:53 pm

Good point about multiple themes. I haven't yet looked into personal statement writing, but that sounds like good advice.

Redamon1

Postby Redamon1 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:33 pm

msquaredb wrote: P.S. I really want to go to Berkeley for IP. If anybody has specific comments in regards to that school I would certainly welcomes them.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/tom-interview.html

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”