Predicting ability to transfer?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
penelope55

Predicting ability to transfer?

Postby penelope55 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:40 am

Hello! Now I know that everyone says one should not attend a law school intending to transfer but I am interested in whether there is any way to predict the ability to transfer based on some 0L variable.

So...does anyone know if data exist showing, say, correlation between lsat score and success in transferring? If lsat is a predictor of success in law school (is it??) and those students with the highest grades have the best chance of transferring, should one be able to predict ability to transfer based on lsat score? Is that correlation strong enough to go into 1L intending to transfer? I understand that conventional wisdom says "don't do that!" but would love to get more info.

It would be great to know if anyone knows whether this info, or any like it, exists somewhere. Is there any other part of a 0L's profile that might correlate with ability - or inability - to transfer into desired tier or band of schools?

Also, but separately - is there any info on how those transfer students fare once at their new school (I think there was some discussion on inside the law school scam on this topic, maybe in some comments section).

Thank you!

cinephile

Re: Predicting ability to transfer?

Postby cinephile » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:45 am

Maybe if you have a personal relationship with the Dean of Admissions at your expected transfer school who has pretty much guaranteed that he'll accept you as a transfer, then you could proceed cautiously.

But really, no. Having a high LSAT score compared to your classmates won't mean you'll score higher. Law school grading cannot be predicted in advance.

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:46 am

penelope55 wrote:Hello! Now I know that everyone says one should not attend a law school intending to transfer but I am interested in whether there is any way to predict the ability to transfer based on some 0L variable.

So...does anyone know if data exist showing, say, correlation between lsat score and success in transferring? If lsat is a predictor of success in law school (is it??) and those students with the highest grades have the best chance of transferring, should one be able to predict ability to transfer based on lsat score? Is that correlation strong enough to go into 1L intending to transfer? I understand that conventional wisdom says "don't do that!" but would love to get more info.

It would be great to know if anyone knows whether this info, or any like it, exists somewhere. Is there any other part of a 0L's profile that might correlate with ability - or inability - to transfer into desired tier or band of schools?

Also, but separately - is there any info on how those transfer students fare once at their new school (I think there was some discussion on inside the law school scam on this topic, maybe in some comments section).

Thank you!

I really don't believe that a high (relative to your peers) LSAT score should comfort you going into 1L. Work your balls off and hope you take LS exams well.

heeloftar

Postby heeloftar » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:48 am

penelope55 wrote:Hello! Now I know that everyone says one should not attend a law school intending to transfer but I am interested in whether there is any way to predict the ability to transfer based on some 0L variable.

Thank you!

High LSAT score doesn't prevent you from getting that C in Legal Methods, but it doesn't hurt.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:50 am

Maybe in a very extreme situation such as a top-6 qualified candidate who attends a Tier Four law school for the first year due to personal reasons such as a sick relative.

superbloom

Postby superbloom » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:50 am

If there were a correlation between LSAT score and ability to transfer up, what good would that do for you? Would you rest on your laurels assuming you're smarter than the rest of the class?

penelope55

Postby penelope55 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:02 am

superbloom wrote:If there were a correlation between LSAT score and ability to transfer up, what good would that do for you? Would you rest on your laurels assuming you're smarter than the rest of the class?

No, just wondering if, all else being equal, a high lsat score correlates positively with high grades in 1L - given that a similar amount of study time and effort are given among all students. I know there is a lot of unpredictability involved with grades, though, which is why I am curious, but I also have read that there is some correlation between lsat score and grades.

I can see how my question comes off as bitchy, though, and didn't mean it like that.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:08 am

Seems like a reasonable question to me. Certainly would make an interesting project for one willing to put in the time & able to get the information.

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:10 am

I think the factors that correllate into superior performance as a 1L include:

(1) LSAT score above 75th Percentile of the class. UG GPA I don't think is as relevant.
(2) Age/Experiance - at least two years removed from college, preferrably more with a bit of real world work ethic
(3) Lack of distractions - I don't think living in dorms helps, but neither does commutting. The best setup is to be nearby school but to have absolutely nothing on your plate for the year

I would say that while you seem fixated on (1), (2) is actually more important.

banjo

Postby banjo » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:39 am

penelope55 wrote:No, just wondering if, all else being equal, a high lsat score correlates positively with high grades in 1L

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question, but of course there's a positive correlation between LSAT score and 1L grades. That's why they still administer the LSAT! The problem is that the correlation is not good enough to plan around.

start @ 15:00 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7_xHsce57c (or watch the whole explanation)

tl;dw: 16% of your 1L GPA is attributable to your LSAT score. Combined with UGPA, that number goes up to only 20%.

penelope55

Postby penelope55 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:46 am

banjo wrote:
penelope55 wrote:No, just wondering if, all else being equal, a high lsat score correlates positively with high grades in 1L

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question, but of course there's a positive correlation between LSAT score and 1L grades. That's why they still administer the LSAT! The problem is that the correlation is not good enough to plan around.

start @ 15:00 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7_xHsce57c (or watch the whole explanation)

tl;dw: 16% of your 1L GPA is attributable to your LSAT score. Combined with UGPA, that number goes up to only 20%.

Thank you!

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:14 am

But that still means the vast majority of what predicts your grades, 80 percent, is left up to chance (or just law school exam-taking ability, which you couldn't know yet).

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”