Blueprint Summer 2012 - Westwood

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Sheila902

Blueprint Summer 2012 - Westwood

Postby Sheila902 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:51 pm

Hello,

I have never done this before so hopefully I am doing this right. :-) After a few hours of research on LSAT courses, it seems it comes down to Testmasters180 and Blueprint. I have decided to go with Blueprint as of right now, but was wondering if anyone knew a good instructor in Westwood they could recommend? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Some people are telling me I don't need the course at all but I just feel like this is an investment for my future and might be worth the money.

Sheila

twenty

Re: Blueprint Summer 2012 - Westwood

Postby twenty » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:12 pm

What are you scoring currently?

Sheila902

Postby Sheila902 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:20 pm

I haven't taken any type of practice tests at all. I honestly don't even know where to start other than looking into these courses. I have been so focused on maintaining good grades and finishing my current degree that I just found out yesterday that I needed to take the LSAT this October. Forgive me for being naive to all of this.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:17 pm

Hey Sheila,

If you want to take a diagnostic LSAT, you can head to our free help area (http://blueprintprep.com/free-lsat-help) - it has an LSAT for you to take, as well as video/audio explanations for everything (because we know that you'll be going crazy trying to figure out why C is wrong and B is right). It should give you a good initial idea. However, our first class is a practice test, so there's no need to do anything beforehand.

As to which instructor you should take, you'd be well-served with any of them! Unfortunately, with the June LSAT next week, our classes are ending, so I don't know if we can get you in to view a course, and we certainly couldn't schedule you to see all of our Westwood instructors. However, if you want to talk with any of them, let me know in a PM and we can set up a time for you to either grab some coffee or have a phone chat with an instructor. We could also probably schedule you for Dan's class on Wednesday and Jennifer's on Thursday if you really want to get a quick look at those two Westwood instructors.

As a side note, Matt Riley (one of our founders) is teaching one of the Westwood classes this summer. He's been doing this forever, and he's a great teacher. However, his classes fill up quickly and they're usually pretty large. If you're interested in taking the class with him, I would register soon.

If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM.

toliveNdieNLA

Postby toliveNdieNLA » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:10 pm

bp shinners wrote:Hey Sheila,

If you want to take a diagnostic LSAT, you can head to our free help area (http://blueprintprep.com/free-lsat-help) - it has an LSAT for you to take, as well as video/audio explanations for everything (because we know that you'll be going crazy trying to figure out why C is wrong and B is right). It should give you a good initial idea. However, our first class is a practice test, so there's no need to do anything beforehand.

As to which instructor you should take, you'd be well-served with any of them! Unfortunately, with the June LSAT next week, our classes are ending, so I don't know if we can get you in to view a course, and we certainly couldn't schedule you to see all of our Westwood instructors. However, if you want to talk with any of them, let me know in a PM and we can set up a time for you to either grab some coffee or have a phone chat with an instructor. We could also probably schedule you for Dan's class on Wednesday and Jennifer's on Thursday if you really want to get a quick look at those two Westwood instructors.

As a side note, Matt Riley (one of our founders) is teaching one of the Westwood classes this summer. He's been doing this forever, and he's a great teacher. However, his classes fill up quickly and they're usually pretty large. If you're interested in taking the class with him, I would register soon.

Your better off just self-studying. I took BP wasn't that much help. Invest that money into getting all the released LSAT exam, PS Bibles, Manhattan Guides, SuperPrep, and a digital timer. Practice, Practice and your set. BP is only after your money...

marmot8

Postby marmot8 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:02 pm

toliveNdieNLA wrote:
bp shinners wrote:Hey Sheila,

Your better off just self-studying. I took BP wasn't that much help. Invest that money into getting all the released LSAT exam, PS Bibles, Manhattan Guides, SuperPrep, and a digital timer. Practice, Practice and your set. BP is only after your money...

I took BP and found it to be an incredibly positive experience. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

twenty

Postby twenty » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:49 pm

I enjoyed my Blueprint experience. I'm a slacker that doesn't self-study well (and yet planning on law school...) Games make so much more sense to me than they did when I started. I can finish basically any 1:1 linear in about 5:00, and any stable grouping in about 6:00, consistently getting an overall LG section score of somewhere between 20 and perfect. This is a night and day difference from where I started before BP, where I was looking at... mayyyybe half of LG correct.

Didn't really improve a lot on LR, but I think this is because I started around 22-23 right per section, now I'm looking at 22-perfect per section. This isn't humblebrag, some of the LR is just stuff you have to do over and over again until you get good at it. With some people, it's distinguishing an intermediate conclusion from a main conclusion. Diagramming is that demon for me -- but there's no way I would have realized that without BP.

My first PT at Blueprint was 160, and my most recent one was 167. I did one at home recently for a 169.

honeycomb

Postby honeycomb » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:38 pm

Sheila902 wrote:Hello,

I have never done this before so hopefully I am doing this right. :-) After a few hours of research on LSAT courses, it seems it comes down to Testmasters180 and Blueprint. I have decided to go with Blueprint as of right now, but was wondering if anyone knew a good instructor in Westwood they could recommend? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Some people are telling me I don't need the course at all but I just feel like this is an investment for my future and might be worth the money.

Sheila

Finishing up my BP course now (not in Westwood, sorry) and it was worth every penny. It is an investment in your future. Although I'm a diligent studier on my own, the structure of the BP course helped tremendously with my focus and motivation. They make it interesting and even funny so I actually look forward to going to class. "MyBlueprint" is my #1 visited site now because they have video explanations of almost every question and when they don't they have an audio explanation or written explanation so you really understand every question and every answer choice.

My instructor has alluded to the BP selection process for their instructors and from what it sounds like you really can't go wrong with anyone. I'd probably just choose the time that works best for you.

Oh, and if this helps... I went from a 154 to 169, looking to break 170 (should have on that 169--stupid LG mistake made the 1 pt difference!) all using BP methods.

Sheila902

Postby Sheila902 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:11 am

I appreciate all of the feedback. Thank you all so much. Work has been hectic so I haven't been on too much today but I would love to shoot some of you some questions or post more on here tomorrow or Thursday when I get a break.

I am aiming at trying to get into USC, Loyola or UCLA for Law so I figured I shouldn't take any chances on this test. I want to make sure I am doing whatever it takes to get the highest score. I do not want to take it again.

twenty

Postby twenty » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:29 pm

Don't settle for a lesser school because you have a hard time with the LSAT. You might have to settle for a lesser school if your GPA is way below median, but the LSAT should not be a reason you can't go to a certain law school. If you don't get the score you want, retake.

Even more importantly, USC and UCLA in particular are pretty good with scholarship money. A 170+ and a decent GPA will significantly cut down your graduating debt (and thus give you more options).

Sheila902

Postby Sheila902 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:33 pm

Well my GPA is a 3.86 and with two more semesters of A's, I imagine it will increase. I really want to go to USC or Loyola. I have to score high on the LSAT. That's why I feel like I shouldn't listen to the people telling me to just look over prep books. I think that structure and classroom time with a instructor with experience is my best bet.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”