Should I wait to take the LSAT

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
poguemahone66

Should I wait to take the LSAT

Postby poguemahone66 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:44 am

Thanks for taking the time to read this question. Here's the situation....

I am a 41 year old undergrad (history major, polisci minor) entering my senior year this fall with a 4.0 GPA average at the University of Houston. I hope to attend the University of Houston Law school in the fall of 2013 following my senior year.

The 25/75 for UH Law currently is LSAT: 157-163 and GPA: 3.2-3.6.

With the June 11 LSAT a week away I have been studying like mad and my average score on the dozen or so practice exams have been 155 (timed, of course, to reflect as close to real LSAT test conditions as possible).
When I do not time myself, I can achieve 160 or better.

My question is, should I postpone my LSAT if I cannot improve my average between now and test time. Or, should I go ahead and take the LSAT, assuming I can replicate my average on the actual exam, and hope that my GPA will make up for the difference?

The pitfall of course is that if I postpone the LSAT, even though I could devote more time for studying for the LSAT, my score might not improve. Also, there is the possibility that my LSAT score could suffer as a result.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Cheers.

Jredelman15

Re: Should I wait to take the LSAT

Postby Jredelman15 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:47 am

poguemahone66 wrote:Thanks for taking the time to read this question. Here's the situation....

I am a 41 year old undergrad (history major, polisci minor) entering my senior year this fall with a 4.0 GPA average at the University of Houston. I hope to attend the University of Houston Law school in the fall of 2013 following my senior year.

The 25/75 for UH Law currently is LSAT: 157-163 and GPA: 3.2-3.6.

With the June 11 LSAT a week away I have been studying like mad and my average score on the dozen or so practice exams have been 155 (timed, of course, to reflect as close to real LSAT test conditions as possible).
When I do not time myself, I can achieve 160 or better.

My question is, should I postpone my LSAT if I cannot improve my average between now and test time. Or, should I go ahead and take the LSAT, assuming I can replicate my average on the actual exam, and hope that my GPA will make up for the difference?

The pitfall of course is that if I postpone the LSAT, even though I could devote more time for studying for the LSAT, my score might not improve. Also, there is the possibility that my LSAT score could suffer as a result.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Cheers.

DO not waste a 4.0 UGPA with a shit LSAT score. You will get in much better schools with money, aka t14, with a 170+.

poguemahone66

Postby poguemahone66 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:09 pm

155 is really that bad, is it? That's discouraging.

See, I'm kinda restricted in which law schools I can go to. I have a family and a mortgage, so if the UH law school is the best school I can conceivably attend because I am geographically limited...

Thanks for your reply.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:19 pm

poguemahone66 wrote:155 is really that bad, is it? That's discouraging.

See, I'm kinda restricted in which law schools I can go to. I have a family and a mortgage, so if the UH law school is the best school I can conceivably attend because I am geographically limited...

Thanks for your reply.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
Then either move your family, work out a long-distance thing, or don't attend law school. UH is shitty. Plenty of other people also have families and/or mortgage (single with a mortgage myself) and aren't settling for schools that will leave them with crippling debt and dismal job prospects.

66% of UH class of 2010 got long-term, bar-required legal jobs. (Note that some of these are still shitty jobs. Could be part-time doc review on a 1-year contract.)
31.7% got jobs making $67.5K or more
16% got jobs making $123k or more

Figure out how much you'd need to make to pay off the $150k in loans (in-state tuition), then figure out your odds of making that much coming from UH.

You have a 4.0. The best schools in the country are available to you, assuming you get that LSAT score above 170. If you MUST attend UH, kill the LSAT and get a full ride scholarship with no GPA stipulations so the low-paying legal job you're unfortunately likely to get after graduation won't be financial suicide.

poguemahone66

Postby poguemahone66 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:51 pm

66% of UH class of 2010 got long-term, bar-required legal jobs. (Note that some of these are still shitty jobs. Could be part-time doc review on a 1-year contract.)

Thanks for your reply.

Your statistics are inconsistent with this websites own stats.

All in all, about 95% of UH Law Center graduates are typically employed within 9 months of graduation, with up to 65% choosing to enter the private sector. For graduates of the Class of 2007, the median first-year salary in the private sector was $90,000.

It's not that I don't believe your stats, but I would like to know where you got those.

In addition, I know several senior lawyers of prestigious firms who profess that a UH law degree is indeed sought after.

Don't get me wrong. I appreciate your comments.
You may be right about UH Law being shitty. I just hope you're wrong. :)

Thanks again.

Cheers.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:08 pm

poguemahone66 wrote:66% of UH class of 2010 got long-term, bar-required legal jobs. (Note that some of these are still shitty jobs. Could be part-time doc review on a 1-year contract.)

Thanks for your reply.

Your statistics are inconsistent with this websites own stats.

All in all, about 95% of UH Law Center graduates are typically employed within 9 months of graduation, with up to 65% choosing to enter the private sector. For graduates of the Class of 2007, the median first-year salary in the private sector was $90,000.

It's not that I don't believe your stats, but I would like to know where you got those.

In addition, I know several senior lawyers of prestigious firms who profess that a UH law degree is indeed sought after.

Don't get me wrong. I appreciate your comments.
You may be right about UH Law being shitty. I just hope you're wrong. :)

Thanks again.

Cheers.
Have you been asleep for two years? It's universally known that law schools publish misleading (if not actually fraudulent) employment statistics. Schools are literally getting sued over this.

That 95% reported by UH includes everyone who went back to their old pre-law school job out of desperation, everyone who has a part time job, everyone who couldn't afford to search for elusive legal jobs any longer and took a job at Starbucks to pay the rent, and everyone hired by the school to stuff envelopes. of COURSE 95% of grads have some kind of job, any kind of job, by 9 months after graduation!! They have a four-figure loan payment and they're desperate!

Lawschooltransparency.com takes the schools' own employment stats and interprets them further to get the best info we have available. Generally, the better the school, the the more complete the data.
--LinkRemoved--

These successful "senior lawyers" you know probably graduated long before the legal market imploded (2008). They haven't had to look for a job in the current market, where there are 45,000 new grads every year competing for (at best) 30,000 jobs. Older lawyers are usually totally clueless about the current state of the market. When they went to school, tuition was cheaper and a JD practically guaranteed success.

Some UH grads will get jobs. A few will even get good jobs. But a lot won't. If you get a job paying $50k, that's a livable wage--UNLESS you have a $2000/month loan payment to make ($150k debt, 10yr repayment program).

Like I said, if you MUST attend UH, only attend with a full-ride scholarship. With a 4.0, you'd probably only need a 164+ to nearly guarantee it. (Be warned that lower-ranked schools like to put impossible stipulations on scholarships. Having to stay in the top 25-40% of the class to keep your scholly is unacceptable. You must negotiate these away.) Apply to peer schools for scholarship leverage, particularly schools that give a lot of money to high GPAs. (Research this on lawschoolnumbers.com)

poguemahone66

Postby poguemahone66 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:16 pm

I appreciate your input and candor.

Thanks.

I will indeed take your advice.

Cheers.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:55 pm

Wait to take the LSAT. Score in the high 160s (you can do it with practice and the right preparation work). Go to a T14. Profit.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”