Sitting for LSAT after choosing to defer

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Sitting for LSAT after choosing to defer

Postby chicagohopeful » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:11 am

So, I was extended an offer to defer my matriculation which assumes that I "neither will pursue admission to nor hold a deferment at another law school during the interim year." Does rule out the possibility of sitting for the LSAT once more, and if blessed with a significantly higher score, waiting an extra year and then reapplying?

Re: Sitting for LSAT after choosing to defer

Postby PDaddy » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:20 am

You need to follow the rules and do one of two things: (1) wait as agreed and enroll at the school to which you are deferring or (2) relinquish your seat asap. If you fail to do so, you could wind up with a character and fitness notation.

If you want to be safe and keep the school as an option, advise the school that you are still very interested in attending but would like to take a shot at increasing your scholarship offer by increasing your LSAT score. Tell them that, for "personal reasons" (have a really good excuse ready in case an admissions officer inquires as to the reason), you would also like to leave your options open for the time being. The office will appreciate your professionalism. Remember, this school already likes you, just don't mess it up!

Info for others:

Many schools require as a condition of deferral an agreement from the student that he/she will not apply to any other school(s) in the interim, but that condition applies only when the student requests the deferral, or when the school increases the student's scholarship. The latter occurred with one of my protoge's, who was offered a $10K increase on her $20K scholarship to a top-20 school (2.0 GPA stip!) if she would defer for one year.

Some schools allow students to apply to other schools during deferral periods regardless of which party requested the deferral.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”