College Job Termination

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
toliveNdieNLA

College Job Termination

Postby toliveNdieNLA » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:29 pm

What's effects, if any, does a job termination from my college days have on my law school application, and more importantly, law-releated job opportunities in the future? Say if I wanted to work for the DOJ or even clerk after completing my J.D.

It was a menial part-time gig, worked there for a few months. Was released without cause but I suspect my anti-social personality had something to do with it. Further, I have maintained a spotless employment history before and after this incident.

LSAT>LDAC

Re: College Job Termination

Postby LSAT>LDAC » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:28 pm

toliveNdieNLA wrote:What's effects, if any, does a job termination from my college days have on my law school application, and more importantly, law-releated job opportunities in the future? Say if I wanted to work for the DOJ or even clerk after completing my J.D.

It was a menial part-time gig, worked there for a few months. Was released without cause but I suspect my anti-social personality had something to do with it. Further, I have maintained a spotless employment history before and after this incident.

Don't include it in your employment history. Its not neccessary.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:49 pm

LSAT>LDAC wrote:
toliveNdieNLA wrote:What's effects, if any, does a job termination from my college days have on my law school application, and more importantly, law-releated job opportunities in the future? Say if I wanted to work for the DOJ or even clerk after completing my J.D.

Don't include it in your employment history. Its not neccessary.

+1. You can pick and choose what to include on the resume, so just leave it off.

toliveNdieNLA

Postby toliveNdieNLA » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:32 pm

Here are several problems I'm foreseeing.

1. Don't employers ask, "Have you ever been dismissed, fired..." I would be screwed if I didn't answer that question honestly for future jobs. Hello! I'm an aspiring attorney and want to get in the habit of being transparent.

2. When I sit for the bar, prior to taking the exam I will need to file for C&F. I know C&F asks I disclose all terminations or dismissals from previous jobs (I reviewed the C&F applications for several states I'm interested in working in). It would raise a red flag if I omitted that piece of information on my law school application but when time to sit for the bar, I disclose it to the bar admissions, right? It means I witheld information for the my J.D. granting school, which mind you sends a copy of my admissions application to the state bar.

Sorry to be parnoid but I'm not going to do anythng to damage my law career.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:34 pm

dude, pretty much everyone has been fired at least once. It's NBD

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”