Graduating college at 19 or UChicago and graduate at 23?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Coulomb

Re: Graduating college at 19 or UChicago and graduate at 23?

Postby Coulomb » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:56 pm

Borg wrote:I think it depends on how you got your credits. Did you do it through college course work, or was it all AP/IB credits? If the latter, I would not be so confident that the very top law schools would open their arms. One year of grades really isn't much of an academic history to go on, and accepting a 19 year old to law school also raises some red flags. In general law school admissions are all about GPA and LSAT, but if the GPA is not really meaningful, you might find yourself subordinated to people with more material for admissions officers to review.

Either way, I highly recommend working for a few years between college and law school.

Most of my credits are through college course work; my school only allows 15 AP credits to count towards my specific degree.

2012JayDee

Postby 2012JayDee » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:01 pm

Coulomb wrote:
apollo2015 wrote:
Coulomb wrote:I have wanted to go to law school since I was a freshman in high school, but I have this fleeting feeling that I am missing out on something academically. I only have two feet and I don't want to leave them both in the same place; I want to possibly learn to code etc. Obviously, the monetary cost is amazing, but what about the opportunity cost?

What is your life plan? Are you sure that you are mature enough to graduate next year, and immediately commit to graduate school? Do you really know why you want to go to Yale at this point in your life?

I agree with the other poster who suggested doing a Masters program afterwards if you graduate at 19. I assume that if you graduate at 19 you will be spending your one year in college focused on maintaining your GPA, which will prevent you from really tapping into campus life. (Normally, I would argue against that, but your GPA is high enough right now to make that be a reasonable course of action.) Spending time afterwards as a masters student (or a second baccalaureate student) exploring your intellectual interests, joining a fraternity, and growing as a person will be key to ensuring that you don't face major regrets later in life.

Due to costs, I am probably ruling out a masters.

Not knowing my plan is truly the problem. I have a specific resume tailored for law school and the desire to go, but I have these gaping holes in my "life plan" and I think that going to a different undergraduate school will somehow elucidate me on what I really want(if that makes sense?). Currently, my plan vaguely resembles getting into public service or possibly a career in legal academia. Do you think the aforementioned jobs require some level of prestige?

Costs of a masters:
Graduating at 19 with a 4.0 from your undergrad-- I don't see how there isn't a scholarship out there with your name on it.
Most people in PhD programs aren't paying for them. Actually, most people are being paid to do the program.

If you want a job in public service you're already on the right track by having graduated from the flagship state school. Also, a job in public service doesn't require a law degree. You should be considering all of your options. But joint degrees should also be a possibility and looking at schools that offer joint public administration/government degrees (Princeton for example has a joint degree program with the Woodrow Wilson college of public policy and Yale/NYU/Columbia/Harvard law schools).

Legal Academia:
Yes, a certain level of prestige is required for this. It's called Harvard Yale and Stanford (this is not all inclusive but indicative of the level of prestige necessary to teach). But it's rare to graduate from law school and go directly into teaching. Most law schools will want you to have at least a year or two in practice before teaching. It's not like an undergrad professor that can get a PhD and then be expected to begin teaching as an assistant professor as she makes tenure.

Also the practice of law is not just about getting a 4.0 in undergrad. It's about life and at 19 you haven't really had a life. All you know is school. Law school is not going anywhere and once you finish undergrad your credentials aren't going anywhere either. There is no expiration date on your GPA. It would suit you well to take some time away from academics and learn to be an adult in the world. Get a job. Try actually working in public service. You may find not only do you not need law school, but that as you mature you may not really want to go. And if in 3-4 years you still want to do law school then you've lost absolutely nothing and you can apply with credentials other than just straight A's.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:04 pm

In my opinion, getting a job is a better way to figure out how you do or don't want to make a living than more ivory tower theoretical education. If you are trying to figure out if you would like Thai food, wouldn't it make more sense to go find a Thai restaurant than to take a class on the history of Thai culture?

lynch

Postby lynch » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:44 pm

Yes they are right it's just a waste of money and time. :)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”