How exactly do Adcomms view your transcript?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
honeycomb

How exactly do Adcomms view your transcript?

Postby honeycomb » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:10 am

Just out of curiosity.

My transcript was processed at LSAC two weeks ago and I just recently looked at the Academic Summary Report. Nothing surprising there. Just wondering if the schools ever see the actual transcript you sent in? Obviously there is a lot of variation between schools and that's why they have a standardized form, but wouldn't adcomms want to know how many upper level courses you took? Or what classes you were taking during certain semesters maybe?

MrAnon

Re: How exactly do Adcomms view your transcript?

Postby MrAnon » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:12 am

honeycomb wrote:Just out of curiosity.

My transcript was processed at LSAC two weeks ago and I just recently looked at the Academic Summary Report. Nothing surprising there. Just wondering if the schools ever see the actual transcript you sent in? Obviously there is a lot of variation between schools and that's why they have a standardized form, but wouldn't adcomms want to know how many upper level courses you took? Or what classes you were taking during certain semesters maybe?

They largely don't care. its a numbers game.

honeycomb

Postby honeycomb » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:17 am

MrAnon wrote:
honeycomb wrote:Just out of curiosity.

They largely don't care. its a numbers game.

Haha, I was wondering how quickly somebody would say that. Obviously I'm aware of that but I'm curious if they even see your transcript. Doesn't make a difference just something I've been wondering since the Summary Report completely omits all of your classes.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:24 am

I am wrapping up my cycle and I really don't know. I never had any adcomms comment on the classes I took except when I sent my transcript to the school I deposited at and there was an issue that needed resolved.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:24 am

They do get a copy of your transcripts. I've read admissions reps claim in interviews that they look at them, but - like others here have said - there is no evidence they make any difference.

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:28 am

Q: How exactly do Adcomms view your transcript?

A: They don't, at least not in any meaningful way.

BVest

Postby BVest » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:43 am

Obviously, most folks are skeptical the committee ever looks at or possibly even sees your transcripts. That said, LSAC does send a copy of your transcript to the schools, but apparently only the fronts (report part) and not the back which may contain some general explanations of things that might appear on their transcript.

Disclosure: I don't recall where I picked that up... perhaps LSAC or perhaps my school. I'm fairly certain of my explanation, but you're also advised that my memory may have a hole or two.

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:22 am

If you're interested in exactly what the adcoms see you can go here: --LinkRemoved--

It's a mock admissions panel with copies of edited admissions packets. I was curious when I applied as well and found it to be pretty interesting. The applications are under "Review Our Candidates' Applications :"

**The portion with the sample applications can take a couple mins to load because they use some weird flash doc viewer so if you're interested you can just open the link, do something else and check on it once every couple of minutes until it loads.

honeycomb

Postby honeycomb » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:28 pm

JDizzle2015 wrote:If you're interested in exactly what the adcoms see you can go here: --LinkRemoved--

It's a mock admissions panel with copies of edited admissions packets. I was curious when I applied as well and found it to be pretty interesting. The applications are under "Review Our Candidates' Applications :"

**The portion with the sample applications can take a couple mins to load because they use some weird flash doc viewer so if you're interested you can just open the link, do something else and check on it once every couple of minutes until it loads.

That's awesome thank you so much! I think you got where I was going with this--just pure curiosity about the process.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”