C&F Question: Who can view expunged records and how???

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
fit2practice

C&F Question: Who can view expunged records and how???

Postby fit2practice » Thu May 31, 2012 4:50 pm

Last edited by fit2practice on Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gaud

Re: C&F Question: Who can view expunged records and how???

Postby gaud » Thu May 31, 2012 7:09 pm

Law enforcement agencies and quasi-law enforcement agencies will be able to see it

eg. FBI and County Attorney's Office

fit2practice

Postby fit2practice » Thu May 31, 2012 8:06 pm

Ok so I'm paying $18 to send away for an FBI background check, what if it comes up empty? would no one else be able to find it then?

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Thu May 31, 2012 8:09 pm

I don't know how it works but my advice to you is not to waste your energy divining answers and to simply disclose if asked about arrests.

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Thu May 31, 2012 8:14 pm

The C&F of law school apps are very specific. If they don't say anything about disclosing expunged/sealed arrest records, you could leave it out.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Thu May 31, 2012 9:03 pm

Think of it this way, what if a group of strangers on the Internet convinced you not to disclose (though everyone is saying you SHOULD), would your really risk a career on that?

fit2practice

Postby fit2practice » Thu May 31, 2012 10:23 pm

Br3v wrote:Think of it this way, what if a group of strangers on the Internet convinced you not to disclose (though everyone is saying you SHOULD), would your really risk a career on that?

I will disclose anyways so that's not the problem.

What I am wondering though, is if C&F examiners somehow have some access to expunged records, (which really means they aren't expunged then, since expunging means to physically destroy all trace of it), how can I access those records as well?

I really want the records myself because I want to be able to accurately list everything I must disclose, not just approximate it.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu May 31, 2012 10:33 pm

fit2practice wrote:What I am wondering though, is if C&F examiners somehow have some access to expunged records, (which really means they aren't expunged then, since expunging means to physically destroy all trace of it), how can I access those records as well?

I really want the records myself because I want to be able to accurately list everything I must disclose, not just approximate it.

Depends on your state but in FL, the bar and LEOs can still see all that shit. Only the arrest record gets expunged from public view. Also most private investigators store the daily arrest records so even they can still pull that shit up if you get expunged.

In FL it basically just prevents a potential employer or whatever from pulling that shit up during a standard arrests search.

Standard disclaimer: this is not legal advice and you should not consider it as such.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”