Gunner Applicants 2012-13 Cycle (aka applying day apps open)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
moonman157

Re: Gunner Applicants 2012-13 Cycle (aka applying day apps open)

Postby moonman157 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:21 pm

Young Hemingway wrote:Retaking a 170.

I know I can do better.

Best of luck!

calidancer2

Postby calidancer2 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:20 pm

I'm really worried about not breaking HYS. I just don't think my PS is going to "pop" like I want it to. I guess there's no sense moping about what i can't change (GPA, LSAT) and can only focus on perfecting my PS. I just suck at writing! WHY.

calidancer2

Postby calidancer2 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:23 pm

banjo wrote:
calidancer2 wrote:
banjo wrote:I'm going to start by writing a Why Penn essay. Looking at LSN I will probably get waitlisted anyway, which is really frustrating given that I'd consider Penn over a certain CCN at equal cost. I'm also going to write a Why Chicago essay, since my GPA is now well below their median (but above the 25th).

Love your tar. Did your GPA drop after sending it into LSAC? I'm worried mine will plummet. My school didn't give out A+s.

Why do you like Penn so much? Just curious, don't know much about it.

Thanks! I've actually been out of undergrad for a couple years. When I was in college, I remember Chicago's GPA median being much lower. In fact, the TLS profile still advertises those outdated stats and LSN confirms as much. In recent years, it's risen to 3.87. Maybe it's because of the Rubenstein scholarships?

Penn's placement has been fantastic in recent years. ITE, I feel like not getting screwed is more of a priority than getting a V10, so the fact that so few of Penn's grads end up underemployed (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=181723) is heartening. Penn's also been very solid in terms of NLJ250+Clerkships in recent years. I'm also kind of itching to get away from NYC for a few years. I'd love to experience Philly, Chicago, or Morningside Heights.

Their median is WHAT!!?!

Do you have a site for updated medians? Man, I thought I had at least one of CCN locked in

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:29 pm

calidancer2 wrote:I'm really worried about not breaking HYS. I just don't think my PS is going to "pop" like I want it to. I guess there's no sense moping about what i can't change (GPA, LSAT) and can only focus on perfecting my PS. I just suck at writing! WHY.

You are me. I see you're at a top 20 UG too, are you thinking about getting a job for year or two if you don't crack HYS?

VasaVasori

Postby VasaVasori » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:35 pm

Last edited by VasaVasori on Sat May 02, 2015 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

calidancer2

Postby calidancer2 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:10 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:
calidancer2 wrote:I'm really worried about not breaking HYS. I just don't think my PS is going to "pop" like I want it to. I guess there's no sense moping about what i can't change (GPA, LSAT) and can only focus on perfecting my PS. I just suck at writing! WHY.

You are me. I see you're at a top 20 UG too, are you thinking about getting a job for year or two if you don't crack HYS?

I was at one, i've been out for a year (so 2 by the time LS starts). Idk what I'll do if I don't break top 6. I'd like to settle in CA but the UCB name just isn't as prestigious-sounding. That came out really snobby, but my entire extended family are prestige whores. Mind PMing me your top 20 UG? Curious if we went to the same one

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:17 pm

calidancer2 wrote:
bernaldiaz wrote:

I was at one, i've been out for a year (so 2 by the time LS starts). Idk what I'll do if I don't break top 6. I'd like to settle in CA but the UCB name just isn't as prestigious-sounding. That came out really snobby, but my entire extended family are prestige whores. Mind PMing me your top 20 UG? Curious if we went to the same one

I've outed myself about a thousand times. Notre Dame haha

calidancer2

Postby calidancer2 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:25 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:
calidancer2 wrote:
bernaldiaz wrote:

I've outed myself about a thousand times. Notre Dame haha

Ah gotcha. Can't say I went there. What are your numbers? I'm so interested to see how we fare vs. people with our same numbers applying later in the cycle

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:36 pm

calidancer2 wrote:
Ah gotcha. Can't say I went there. What are your numbers? I'm so interested to see how we fare vs. people with our same numbers applying later in the cycle

I'm 174 and 3.99 as of my academic summary report from yesterday morning.

calidancer2

Postby calidancer2 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:41 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:
calidancer2 wrote:

THE HELL? Dude, you're a lock at one of the HYS. I'd murder someone for that GPA. Excited to follow your cycle so I can live vicariously through you

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:46 pm

calidancer2 wrote:
bernaldiaz wrote:
calidancer2 wrote:

THE HELL? Dude, you're a lock at one of the HYS. I'd murder someone for that GPA. Excited to follow your cycle so I can live vicariously through you

Eh I have a potential hold up. Left a study abroad program mid semester at Cambridge that was really competitive to get, to make a long story short. If that or the K-JD doesnt hold me back, I should have the numbers, yeah.

calidancer2

Postby calidancer2 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:59 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:
calidancer2 wrote:
bernaldiaz wrote:
calidancer2 wrote:

Eh I have a potential hold up. Left a study abroad program mid semester at Cambridge that was really competitive to get, to make a long story short. If that or the K-JD doesnt hold me back, I should have the numbers, yeah.

I left something early also which I'm worried about and unsure how to address it. In an addendum, or in a PS? I feel like the PS should be more upbeat. So are you going into your senior year this fall?

madvillain

Postby madvillain » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:19 pm

Just wanted to say good luck fellas! I applied last cycle on the first day apps were released for the entire T14, basically. Ended up having to wait until February to get a T6 acceptance, and waited until mid-April for HLS. So in retrospect, applying that early didn't help things that much. But good luck regardless!

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:21 pm

calidancer2 wrote:
I left something early also which I'm worried about and unsure how to address it. In an addendum, or in a PS? I feel like the PS should be more upbeat. So are you going into your senior year this fall?

Definitely staying far away from that for a PS. I'm going to briefly address it in an addendum. I have no idea what I'll do for my PS, though. And yep! Starting my senior year this fall. I'm thinking of applying for jobs in the fall too just to hedge my bets. Hopefully a 3.99 from a top 20 can land a job even with my stupid history major.

banjo

Postby banjo » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:24 am

calidancer2 wrote:
Do you have a site for updated medians? Man, I thought I had at least one of CCN locked in

This was posted somewhere else on the site:

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:16 am

My numbers are in my profile. I'm retaking this month, PT avg is 176. HYS are out based on GPA, but I might shoot off a hail mary Harvard app if I get a 180 lol. UT-Austin is my top choice unless I can get a scholarship somewhere in the T14 (pretty unlikely with my GPA, but so is getting into UT, they aren't splitter friendly). NYU, Penn, and UVa are my top t14 choices, but I'll probably apply to all of them from NYU down depending on my LSAT. Also plan to apply to USC, Vandy, SMU, and UH.

Jredelman15

Postby Jredelman15 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:50 am

shifty_eyed wrote:My numbers are in my profile. I'm retaking this month, PT avg is 176. HYS are out based on GPA, but I might shoot off a hail mary Harvard app if I get a 180 lol. UT-Austin is my top choice unless I can get a scholarship somewhere in the T14 (pretty unlikely with my GPA, but so is getting into UT, they aren't splitter friendly). NYU, Penn, and UVa are my top t14 choices, but I'll probably apply to all of them from NYU down depending on my LSAT. Also plan to apply to USC, Vandy, SMU, and UH.

Even with that GPA if you land an LSAT above 173 you should be in at UT. Maybe a WL then admit. SMU and UH are my top choices if I can get really good schollys. I want TX but want to do my SA in the city where my school is and Austin biglaw is hard to get even out of UT, so Houston or Dallas look like the places for me. However, I am hoping to get into some t14 to leverage some schollys from lower schools.

honeycomb

Postby honeycomb » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:16 pm

4.0 GPA, hoping to get a 170+ on this June LSAT. Highest PT has been a 169 but I've been stuck around 167-169 because of really stupid timing mistakes and low confidence so I'm hoping to boost that in the next week. Fingers crossed. Wouldn't be devastated with a 167 because UCLA would be a-okay with me!

Ideally I'd like to be somewhere in California, but I'll be blanketing the T14 (except for probably Yale and Harvard, LSAT will likely be too low for that--but we'll see if some sort of miracle happens) and probably going to the best school I get into. Luckily it seems like the California schools put more weight on GPA than on LSAT so hopefully I'll have a shot at Boalt and **maybe** even my dream school Stanford.

honeycomb

Postby honeycomb » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:19 pm

And by low confidence I mean that for some reason in my last few PTs during the break I psyche myself out thinking about what if I missed this question and I don't have a shot at xyz school now. My sections after the break are always a little bit lower than before the break and I think that's why.

Anybody else ever had this problem? Wasn't a problem for me before but I think that now that the test is so close I am getting more nervous than I was before.

calidancer2

Postby calidancer2 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:44 pm

honeycomb wrote:4.0 GPA, hoping to get a 170+ on this June LSAT. Highest PT has been a 169 but I've been stuck around 167-169 because of really stupid timing mistakes and low confidence so I'm hoping to boost that in the next week. Fingers crossed. Wouldn't be devastated with a 167 because UCLA would be a-okay with me!

Ideally I'd like to be somewhere in California, but I'll be blanketing the T14 (except for probably Yale and Harvard, LSAT will likely be too low for that--but we'll see if some sort of miracle happens) and probably going to the best school I get into. Luckily it seems like the California schools put more weight on GPA than on LSAT so hopefully I'll have a shot at Boalt and **maybe** even my dream school Stanford.

Yeah, your LSAT/GPA combo seems ideal for California. I want to stay/live/settle in Cali but with my lower GPA/higher LSAT it looks like I'll have to just go where I can and hope to get back. 4.0 is seriously so impressive, great job! Wish I hadn't been an idiot pre-med coming into college. :roll:

calidancer2

Postby calidancer2 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:45 pm

banjo wrote:
calidancer2 wrote:

This makes me want to simultaneously laugh and throw up at the same time. Thanks, banjo. I'm interested to hear if anyone knows if being above median for LSAT makes it more likely to get into a school vs. being above the median GPA. Save for Y (not even gonna bother), H (gonna throw a hail mary app), and C (PLEASE LET ME IN OH PLEASE), I'm above 75th percentile for LSAT but don't know what good that'll do me.

honeycomb

Postby honeycomb » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:22 pm

calidancer2 wrote:
banjo wrote:
calidancer2 wrote:

This makes me want to simultaneously laugh and throw up at the same time. Thanks, banjo. I'm interested to hear if anyone knows if being above median for LSAT makes it more likely to get into a school vs. being above the median GPA. Save for Y (not even gonna bother), H (gonna throw a hail mary app), and C (PLEASE LET ME IN OH PLEASE), I'm above 75th percentile for LSAT but don't know what good that'll do me.

Don't sell yourself short! A 3.7 is an awesome GPA and a 174!? Come on! I think you're going to have an awesome cycle.

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:58 pm

calidancer2 wrote:
banjo wrote:
calidancer2 wrote:

I'm hoping its the LSAT lol and keeping my fingers crossed that an ED and 3.6x/174 will be enough for Columbia!

calidancer2

Postby calidancer2 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:06 pm

moonman157 wrote:
calidancer2 wrote:
banjo wrote:
calidancer2 wrote:

I'm hoping its the LSAT lol and keeping my fingers crossed that an ED and 3.6x/174 will be enough for Columbia!

this is probably a dumb question but does ED pretty much guarantee no $$$? i think that's likely the highest-ranked school I have a shot at.

zdamico

Postby zdamico » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:58 am

Hey guys!

I'm hoping to get my apps in as early as possible. I have the LSAT behind me, transcripts in, and one rec in with the other on the way soon! I just have to finish my PS which I have a few drafts of.

The only things is I received a few fee waivers last year since I took the LSAT in October, but I obviously didn't use them. Trying to figure out when is in appropriate time to e-mail schools asking for one for this year, whether I will be included in the July waive of e-mails since I already got some last year, and how long to wait for unsolicited ones!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”