Splitters/Reverse Splitters Applying ED

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
southeastlaw

Splitters/Reverse Splitters Applying ED

Postby southeastlaw » Wed May 30, 2012 3:37 pm

Will applying ED to a T15 give you any advantage admissions wise? I'm looking at the ED statistics for T15s on LSN, and it looks like they're pretty much admitting the same people as they are for regular decision except for maybe those with at lower GPA -- the LSAT range for ED admits looks to be pretty much the same. So -- just based on my very coursery review -- it seems like ED might be a good idea for splitters, but what about reverse splitters? I know that the matriculation rate is a part of a law school's USNWR ranking, so I figure applying ED and guranteeing matriculation can't hurt if you're on the edge. I also know that this may very with each school so I'm not sure that there is one clear answer.

Thanks!

JDizzle2015

Re: Splitters/Reverse Splitters Applying ED

Postby JDizzle2015 » Wed May 30, 2012 4:07 pm

It's been described as "a feather on the side" in our favor. I would agree that that is the case for most T14 schools. UVA is the exception that seems to put extra weight on an ED application.

TheColonel

Postby TheColonel » Wed May 30, 2012 4:47 pm

To me it looks like there is a fairly decent bump for NYU ED. Only two people with 170s or higher were not admitted and one may just not be updated. Granted, everyone had a 3.3 or higher so that may not be what you consider a full splitter.

southeastlaw

Postby southeastlaw » Wed May 30, 2012 5:04 pm

Yeah but for most of the ED acceptances at NYU, Columbia, Chicago, etc. there are some GPA acceptances WAY below the 25% -- like 3.3/3.4 ish. Why don't we see any lower LSATs that have been accepted ED? I know it's an adv. to apply ED if you're on the edge numbers wise (which I am as a reverse splitter), but will law schools just not dip as low in accepting LSATs as they do with GPAs? I know that schools admit both splitters and reverse splitters to even things out -- but do they admit more splitters than reverse splitters?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed May 30, 2012 5:16 pm

southeastlaw wrote:Yeah but for most of the ED acceptances at NYU, Columbia, Chicago, etc. there are some GPA acceptances WAY below the 25% -- like 3.3/3.4 ish. Why don't we see any lower LSATs that have been accepted ED? I know it's an adv. to apply ED if you're on the edge numbers wise (which I am as a reverse splitter), but will law schools just not dip as low in accepting LSATs as they do with GPAs? I know that schools admit both splitters and reverse splitters to even things out -- but do they admit more splitters than reverse splitters?

There are a lot more reverse splitters than regular splitters. A school like NYU will have plenty of 165/3.9 types who'd be happy to pay sticker waiting around in May if they need to bump up their GPA median.

TheColonel

Postby TheColonel » Wed May 30, 2012 5:49 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
southeastlaw wrote:Yeah but for most of the ED acceptances at NYU, Columbia, Chicago, etc. there are some GPA acceptances WAY below the 25% -- like 3.3/3.4 ish. Why don't we see any lower LSATs that have been accepted ED? I know it's an adv. to apply ED if you're on the edge numbers wise (which I am as a reverse splitter), but will law schools just not dip as low in accepting LSATs as they do with GPAs? I know that schools admit both splitters and reverse splitters to even things out -- but do they admit more splitters than reverse splitters?

There are a lot more reverse splitters than regular splitters. A school like NYU will have plenty of 165/3.9 types who'd be happy to pay sticker waiting around in May if they need to bump up their GPA median.

I don't know of any stats anywhere that have the percentiles for different GPAs but only 2.5% of LSAT takers get a 170 or higher and less than 1% get a 173 or higher. I would assume that there are quite a bit more people with high GPAs than high LSATs so high LSATs are a more valuable commodity.

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Wed May 30, 2012 9:15 pm

A reverse splitter would be better off studying for an lsat retake than worrying about applying ED.

(bitter splitter, party of one over here)

Postby 2014 » Thu May 31, 2012 2:16 am

There are hundreds of thousands of people walking around with 3.8+ GPAs and less than 2,000 171+'s a year which includes some people counted twice or three times for retakes.

Furthermore while it is a crappy predictor of success, the LSAT has something like double the predictive power for law school than UGPA and it is worth 25% more in the USNWR system to boot.

Splitters >>> Reverse Splitters

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”