How will LSAC convert a UW?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ryanfaro

How will LSAC convert a UW?

Postby ryanfaro » Tue May 29, 2012 4:43 pm

I attended St. John's University for two years before I transferred colleges. While studying there, my calculus teacher gave me an Unofficial Withdrawal while I was running a C in the course, when I asked him why, he had said he was saving me from a poor mark and he knows I am interested in law school, so a UW, which St John's considers non-punitive, was my grade. He told me to retake the course and I will have a guaranteed A, I decided to transfer to a better school before I could retake the class.

Here is the problem, I do not read about UWs often and do not know how LSAC will convert it. I went ahead and called them and they said they were not sure and would not be sure until I send my transcripts in. I can not wait for this, my professor might be able to change my grade if he finds evidence for it, however if LSAC won't count the UW, I do not want the C.

I do not know what I should do. I am a junior with a 3.4 GPA, if the UW is counted as failing, I will have a 3.26, I need some advice, thank you guys very much.

Nova

Re: How will LSAC convert a UW?

Postby Nova » Tue May 29, 2012 10:05 pm

If LSAC doesnt know, how the hell would we?! Just submit your transcript. It probably will not be counted. If it is counted as an F, THEN have your prof change it to a C and resend your transcripts.

Helicio

Postby Helicio » Tue May 29, 2012 11:48 pm

Pretty sure (don't quote me) that a UW will not count as a failing grade. I don't think they factor UWs into your lSAC grade.

ryanfaro

Postby ryanfaro » Wed May 30, 2012 1:30 pm

Nova wrote:If LSAC doesnt know, how the hell would we?! Just submit your transcript. It probably will not be counted. If it is counted as an F, THEN have your prof change it to a C and resend your transcripts.

I am worried that there may be limitations on grade changes and that my lack of a decision now may end up as an F, or my decision to have a C may be worse than if LSAC decides not to convert a UW. I was hoping anecdotal experience may help.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”