Thomas Cooley or Texas Wesleyan?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
minnbills

Re: Thomas Cooley or Texas Wesleyan?

Postby minnbills » Tue May 29, 2012 5:01 pm

Those who are born and bred for success and achievement crush the LSAT. You either have it or you don't.

Bilqis

Postby Bilqis » Tue May 29, 2012 5:05 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
Bilqis wrote:I beg to differ here..

Most of you try to portray the LSAT as this test that only those especially endowed can score high in and those who "haven't got it" are alas helpless and nothing much can be done. It's really just a skill that with dogged perseverance can be surely acquired if not perfected. I know this for a fact from personal experience and have read so many stories that corroborate this. Many who thought it was helpless ended up scoring in the 99%.

I can tell why your score is low.
generalizing from small/unrepresentative sample size?

I don't think 160 on my first attempt that I didn't even prepare for is low. I would counter your accusation by saying that you formed a judgement based upon unavailable data and hence won't predictably fare all that well.

Anyway you also overlooked how I am addressing the downers here hence it is perfectly consistent to consider them representative given that they constitute 90% of the respondents.

Peace

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Tue May 29, 2012 5:07 pm

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue May 29, 2012 5:07 pm

Most of you try to portray the LSAT as this test that only those especially endowed can score high in and those who "haven't got it" are alas helpless and nothing much can be done. It's really just a skill that with dogged perseverance can be surely acquired if not perfected. I know this for a fact from personal experience and have read so many stories that corroborate this. Many who thought it was helpless ended up scoring in the 99%.

?

There is a reason why "retake" is such a common refrain. If the test was about natural intelligence only retaking would provide no benefit.

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue May 29, 2012 5:35 pm

Bilqis wrote:I don't think 160 on my first attempt that I didn't even prepare for is low.

Says the poster considering Cooley and Tex Wes.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Tue May 29, 2012 5:42 pm

Nova wrote:
Bilqis wrote:I don't think 160 on my first attempt that I didn't even prepare for is low.

Says the poster considering Cooley and Tex Wes.

there's no fucking way you would have a 160 and "high" gpa and still be considering either of these schools.

dowu

Postby dowu » Tue May 29, 2012 5:44 pm

:shock: :shock:
Last edited by dowu on Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

dowu

Postby dowu » Tue May 29, 2012 5:45 pm

Bilqis wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:

I can tell why your score is low.
generalizing from small/unrepresentative sample size?

I don't think 160 on my first attempt that I didn't even prepare for is low. I would counter your accusation by saying that you formed a judgement based upon unavailable data and hence won't predictably fare all that well.

Anyway you also overlooked how I am addressing the downers here hence it is perfectly consistent to consider them representative given that they constitute 90% of the respondents.

Peace

5 dollars says you'll be back, troll.

Bilqis

Postby Bilqis » Tue May 29, 2012 6:10 pm

Yes 160, is it a big deal?

I see it as a disappointing score.

I have 3.9 GPA.

I have no idea Cooley or Wesleyan are that bad, I applied to several schools and I have yet to hear from them. Those were unusually quick in getting back to me.

I am aiming for 175+.

Don't be needlessly mean.

splitbrain

Postby splitbrain » Tue May 29, 2012 6:13 pm

Bilqis wrote:Yes 160, is it a big deal?

I have 3.9 GPA.

I have no idea Cooley or Wesleyan are that bad, I applied to several schools and I have yet to hear from them. Those were unusually quick in getting back to me.

I am aiming for 175+.

I wouldn't call that "needless" based on your posts and intentions.

ETA: Trolls are the piñatas of the internets, anyway.

dowu

Postby dowu » Tue May 29, 2012 6:20 pm

Bilqis wrote:Yes 160, is it a big deal?

I have 3.9 GPA.

I am aiming for 175+.

Okay, so with a 160 LSAT, you should be shooting for top law schools listed in the "TLS STATS" link above. Other than that, don't waste your GPA or your time/money.

TyrionLannister

Postby TyrionLannister » Tue May 29, 2012 7:13 pm

Bilqis wrote: I must get into a law school as quickly as possible.

Why? Simply because of this?
Bilqis wrote:I live with 4 roommates and they are as annoying as hell

But also considering this:
Bilqis wrote:I just moved into a new city

and
Bilqis wrote:when I start university my living conditions would change

Are you just wanting to start law school asap because of hating your new roommates? Assuming that you aren't being forced to live there, why not get a new apartment?
Also adding to the confusion is this statement:
Bilqis wrote:who could honestly study with somebody living with you in the same room?

Followed in rather short manner by this:
Bilqis wrote:I study an average of 5 hours a day, sometimes 8, no exaggeration.

Which leads me to think that you actually CAN find the time to better your career path, but you simply want to take an easier, ill-advised way out.

Basically, as it reads ITT, you want to start at law school right away, because the two aforementioned schools are ready to provide you with a full ride this fall?

I understand that your plan is this:

Bilqis wrote:I intend to transfer after a year, provided of course that I score in the top 5% , to Duke.

But this advice should really sway you:
buckilaw wrote:I'm at a T14, the admissions dean once told me and a couple other students that she receives dozens of transfer applications from Cooley each and every year...she doesn't exactly look kindly on these applicants. I imagine deans at other T-14's, including Duke, would take a similar approach.

and since that non-transfering alternative is dropping out, and since this would happen:
iowalum wrote:I'm not sure you want to have dropping out of Cooley on your record.

Then you should really just retake, reapply, move out, perhaps find a job that allows you to live in an apartment with fewer than 4 roommates, and enjoy the benefits that a 3.9 GPA and a decent retake LSAT score will provide.

And if you simply must go to Cooley or Wesleyan, because you have to, have to , HAVE TO go to law school ASAP!!

...Well then, I guess the only thing left to say is this:

Don't. Please.

In all seriousness, retake and reapply. Don't waste your 3.9
Last edited by TyrionLannister on Tue May 29, 2012 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bilqis

Postby Bilqis » Tue May 29, 2012 9:07 pm

Tyrion..

I was truly impressed by how intelligent and considerate your answer was, thank you.

The situation is as I described, yes I study 5 to 8 hours a day but they are without the needed focus and with much strain.

I understand that Cooley is so utterly bad that one better not go to law school at all than go there, even for free. I got that clearly now. So I will probably move out and re-take the LSAT on June or October if necessary.

Indeed why should I settle for anything less than a top school, I am the top of my class and all that I have raised are trivial objections.

Again thank you!

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Tue May 29, 2012 11:08 pm

I'm honestly confused about why you feel this way. I think most, if not all, people say that the test is definitely about studying and perseverance. Look in the lsat prep thread, and you'll see everyone talking about how they are studying to improve their score. My first pt was a 153, but I got it up to a 172 after over 5 months of studying; many people share similar stories on this site.

SaintsTheMetal

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Wed May 30, 2012 8:24 am

Texas Wesleyan with ties and a full ride doesn't seem too bad.. you'll more likely than not find some kind of work.

Postby 1776 » Wed May 30, 2012 10:42 am

Not real

Bilqis

Postby Bilqis » Wed May 30, 2012 10:03 pm

mattviphky wrote:

I'm honestly confused about why you feel this way. I think most, if not all, people say that the test is definitely about studying and perseverance. Look in the lsat prep thread, and you'll see everyone talking about how they are studying to improve their score. My first pt was a 153, but I got it up to a 172 after over 5 months of studying; many people share similar stories on this site.

It shouldn't be confusing to you if you read most of the answers posted, especially the one with the olympic gold medalist.

Your story is inspiring, thank you for sharing, this is my belief, the LSAT is merely a skill, like learning how to ride a bike or a new language, you have no idea what you are doing at first but sure enough pattern and consistency materialize.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”