Thomas Cooley or Texas Wesleyan?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
minnbills

Re: Thomas Cooley or Texas Wesleyan?

Postby minnbills » Tue May 29, 2012 12:00 am

lol at anybody taking this seriously

top30man

Postby top30man » Tue May 29, 2012 12:02 am

minnbills wrote:lol at anybody taking this seriously

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue May 29, 2012 12:04 am

Bilqis wrote:Comparing to the GRE and the GMAT, it's piece of cake! all that is to it is convoluted language.

The irony is dropkicking this thread right in its face. Oh, and I ABSOLUTELY call troll on this one.

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue May 29, 2012 12:04 am

tyro wrote:Haven't heard of Wesleyan.

Second best lawl school in teh DF-dub

Bilqis

Postby Bilqis » Tue May 29, 2012 12:05 am

iowalum wrote:
Bilqis wrote:
Eco wrote:Look man. Do the LSAT. If it's not good enough to get into a good school, then DO NOT GO to law school. There are other ways you can fulfill your career ambitions. Even going to a top 20 school nowadays is no guarantee of anything, let alone a shithole like Cooley..lol

First of all, I am not a man, I wish I was but that's not the point

Then these law schools are only temporary, if I were for any nightmarish reason going to continue in either then I will let go of my dream and look elsewhere, I don't want to go to a school that will only crown with shame and have me "blink" whenever I mention its name.

I have a question of great importance, can I drop from Cooley, in the case that transfer proved impossible, then start all over in Duke once I get the score required?

I'm not sure you want to have dropping out of Cooley on your record.

Good point, I did not know it would go on my record, thank you

Bilqis

Postby Bilqis » Tue May 29, 2012 12:10 am

People please.......I am DEAD serious, I am registered to take the June LSAT and I am not even sure if I will take it. If you have nothing useful to offer than kindly do not offer anything, least of all rude and mean comments that communicate nothing but mean-spiritedness.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Tue May 29, 2012 12:12 am

Bilqis wrote:People please.......I am DEAD serious, I am registered to take the June LSAT and I am not even sure if I will take it. If you have nothing useful to offer than kindly do not offer anything, least of all rude and mean comments that communicate nothing but mean-spiritedness.

What are PTing at right now?

Bilqis

Postby Bilqis » Tue May 29, 2012 12:16 am

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
Bilqis wrote:People please.......I am DEAD serious, I am registered to take the June LSAT and I am not even sure if I will take it. If you have nothing useful to offer than kindly do not offer anything, least of all rude and mean comments that communicate nothing but mean-spiritedness.

What is PTing?

Systematic1

Postby Systematic1 » Tue May 29, 2012 12:20 am

Bilqis wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:

What is PTing?

+1 for making my day.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Tue May 29, 2012 12:21 am

Bilqis wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:

What is PTing?

....and I'm done. Night, folks.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Tue May 29, 2012 12:27 am

What is your living situation? Where are you from? You seem to know almost nothing about this process. Bt you are not alone. You need to read these forums and learn how to study effectively. All the info you need is here including detailed guides for aspects of the application process.

You can not go to either of these schools. You need to figure out a better living situation and in the meantime you need to find quiet places to work. There are plenty of public libraries.

PTing is short for practice tests- how are you doing on the practice exams you are taking and how many have you been doing?

top30man

Postby top30man » Tue May 29, 2012 12:38 am

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
Bilqis wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:

What is PTing?

....and I'm done. Night, folks.

Not sure why you bothered.

Bilqis

Postby Bilqis » Tue May 29, 2012 12:39 am

sunynp wrote:What is your living situation? Where are you from? You seem to know almost nothing about this process. Bt you are not alone. You need to read these forums and learn how to study effectively. All the info you need is here including detailed guides for aspects of the application process.

You can not go to either of these schools. You need to figure out a better living situation and in the meantime you need to find quiet places to work. There are plenty of public libraries.

PTing is short for practice tests- how are you doing on the practice exams you are taking and how many have you been doing?

Thank you for being one of the few sane people here. I will research my options and do what I can.

Best of luck to all.

tyro

Postby tyro » Tue May 29, 2012 12:49 am

So yeah doubt this is real but looked up Wesleyan

I mean someone at Wesleyan might be at 152/3.6 or so. You said you had a 'pretty high' GPA. Someone could take ~3 PT's because they have 'no time' and get a 152 even if they are decently smart (bombing LG).

I still think these threads are classic even if it is fake :D

Real Madrid

Postby Real Madrid » Tue May 29, 2012 2:46 am

buckilaw wrote:In the off-chance that this isn't a flame...

I'm at a T14, the admissions dean once told me and a couple other students that she receives dozens of transfer applications from Cooley each and every year...she doesn't exactly look kindly on these applicants. I imagine deans at other T-14's, including Duke, would take a similar approach.

You can reliably grind an LSAT score into the 170's, it's much more difficult to get grades in the top 5% at any school than it is to score a 170+.

Sorry, but that's just not true. Not everyone can score in the 170s. That's like saying you can reliably turn yourself into an Olympic gold medalist. Talent is heavily involved.

Also, this is a shit flame.

splitbrain

Postby splitbrain » Tue May 29, 2012 3:10 pm

3/10

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Tue May 29, 2012 4:16 pm

Real Madrid wrote:
buckilaw wrote:In the off-chance that this isn't a flame...

I'm at a T14, the admissions dean once told me and a couple other students that she receives dozens of transfer applications from Cooley each and every year...she doesn't exactly look kindly on these applicants. I imagine deans at other T-14's, including Duke, would take a similar approach.

You can reliably grind an LSAT score into the 170's, it's much more difficult to get grades in the top 5% at any school than it is to score a 170+.

Sorry, but that's just not true. Not everyone can score in the 170s. That's like saying you can reliably turn yourself into an Olympic gold medalist. Talent is heavily involved.

Also, this is a shit flame.

Scoring a 170 is more like training to run a mile in under 7 minutes than becoming an Olympic level runner. Sure, not everyone will be able to do it even with months of practice, but some will also be able to do it on their first attempt.

Let's not pat ourselves on the backs too hard for our 170s now.

Anyway, the LSAT is more predictable than 1st year law school grades, regardless of which is easier. You can have a decent idea how you'll do on the LSAT going into it, but seems like nobody can really know how they'll do in law school before starting.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Tue May 29, 2012 4:17 pm

anyone can run a 7 minute fucking mile.

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Tue May 29, 2012 4:20 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:anyone can run a 7 minute fucking mile.

Maybe a 6 minute mile would be a better example, idk.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue May 29, 2012 4:21 pm

No, they really can't.

I couldn't run a 7-minute mile when I was rowing for a D-I school, I couldn't run a 7-minute mile when I did varsity track for four years in high school, and I can't run a 7-minute mile now that I'm 32 and run twice a week and play hockey twice a week. I could break 9 minutes right now, but not a hell of a lot faster. I think my fastest ever was around 7:30, and I was probably 14.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Tue May 29, 2012 4:24 pm

:roll:

dowu

Postby dowu » Tue May 29, 2012 4:38 pm

:shock: :shock:
Last edited by dowu on Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Tue May 29, 2012 4:40 pm

meh, whatever. I disagree with the analogy, but I understand where he was going with it.

Bilqis

Postby Bilqis » Tue May 29, 2012 4:41 pm

I beg to differ here..

Most of you try to portray the LSAT as this test that only those especially endowed can score high in and those who "haven't got it" are alas helpless and nothing much can be done. It's really just a skill that with dogged perseverance can be surely acquired if not perfected. I know this for a fact from personal experience and have read so many stories that corroborate this. Many who thought it was helpless ended up scoring in the 99%.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Tue May 29, 2012 4:47 pm

Bilqis wrote:I beg to differ here..

Most of you try to portray the LSAT as this test that only those especially endowed can score high in and those who "haven't got it" are alas helpless and nothing much can be done. It's really just a skill that with dogged perseverance can be surely acquired if not perfected. I know this for a fact from personal experience and have read so many stories that corroborate this. Many who thought it was helpless ended up scoring in the 99%.

I can tell why your score is low.
generalizing from small/unrepresentative sample size?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”