Thomas Cooley or Texas Wesleyan?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Bilqis

Thomas Cooley or Texas Wesleyan?

Postby Bilqis » Mon May 28, 2012 10:45 pm

Hello

I know some of you would accuse me of starting a "flame," however this is the farthest from the truth.

I'm absolutely at loss as to whether go to Texas Wesleyan or Cooley Law. Neither of which are my dream school and I intend to transfer after a year, provided of course that I score in the top 5% , to Duke.

I'm afraid though that Duke, upon seeing where I earned those grades, will turn me down.

I have a pretty high GPA and an okay LSAT score. Cooley and Wesleyan are my options for now.

This is such a source of concern and sleeplessness to me because, being on a scholarship with a limited time-frame, I must get into a law school as quickly as possible.

Thank you
Last edited by Bilqis on Mon May 28, 2012 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phillykid

Re: Thomas Cooley or Texas Wesleyan?

Postby phillykid » Mon May 28, 2012 10:47 pm

Cooley to Duke? .......Retake LSAT.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon May 28, 2012 10:48 pm

Judging from your other posts, you're currently studying for the LSAT. Why are you already deciding between these two shitholes?

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Mon May 28, 2012 10:50 pm

No.

Do not attend a school you wouldn't want to graduate from.

Do not make plans based on finishing your first year at top 5%.

And do not attend Cooley or Wesleyan, unless it is for free with no grade stipulations and you have a job lined up afterwards.

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon May 28, 2012 10:50 pm

You should probably attend neither. LSAC GPA?

Bilqis

Postby Bilqis » Mon May 28, 2012 10:52 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Judging from your other posts, you're currently studying for the LSAT. Why are you already deciding between these two shitholes?

You are correct, I'm not 100% sure I will score significantly higher than I did on the Feb test, I live with 4 roommates and they are as annoying as hell

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Mon May 28, 2012 10:54 pm

In the off-chance that this isn't a flame...

I'm at a T14, the admissions dean once told me and a couple other students that she receives dozens of transfer applications from Cooley each and every year...she doesn't exactly look kindly on these applicants. I imagine deans at other T-14's, including Duke, would take a similar approach.

You can reliably grind an LSAT score into the 170's, it's much more difficult to get grades in the top 5% at any school than it is to score a 170+.

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Mon May 28, 2012 10:56 pm

Cooley. More seats in the library.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon May 28, 2012 10:57 pm

Bilqis wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Judging from your other posts, you're currently studying for the LSAT. Why are you already deciding between these two shitholes?

You are correct, I'm not 100% sure I will score significantly higher than I did on the Feb test, I live with 4 roommates and they are as annoying as hell
Unless you are attending for free AND have a 110% guaranteed job lined up for after graduation, there is no way you should even set foot on either of those campuses. The odds are OVERWHELMINGLY against actually transfering, and equally overwhelmingly against being able to find a decent job if you don't transfer.

Score higher or don't go. It's that simple. Go study in a library.

Bilqis

Postby Bilqis » Mon May 28, 2012 11:00 pm

buckilaw wrote:In the off-chance that this isn't a flame...

I'm at a T14, the admissions dean once told me and a couple other students that she receives dozens of transfer applications from Cooley each and every year...she doesn't exactly look kindly on these applicants. I imagine deans at other T-14's, including Duke, would take a similar approach.

You can reliably grind an LSAT score into the 170's, it's much more difficult to get grades in the top 5% at any school than it is to score a 170+.

It really isn't

Wow, it's much easier to score 170+ than it is to be in the top 5% at Cooley or Wesleyan!!!

I mean the LSAT honestly is a piece of cake but I don't have time! I just moved into a new city and hoping that when I start university my living conditions would change because who could honestly study with somebody living with you in the same room?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon May 28, 2012 11:01 pm

Bilqis wrote:

It really isn't

Wow, it's much easier to score 170+ than it is to be in the top 5% at Cooley or Wesleyan!!!

I mean the LSAT honestly is a piece of cake but I don't have time! I just moved into a new city and hoping that when I start university my living conditions would change because who could honestly study with somebody living with you in the same room?
wut.

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon May 28, 2012 11:05 pm

Bilqis wrote:

It really isn't

Well, you need to find time.

Go to the library to get away from your roommates... or even a booth at McDonalds. I know people working 40+ hours a week who still manage to study 20+ hours a week. Its cause they want it, badly.

Are you trying to start law school this fall with a June LSAT? Dont do that. Take the test in October and apply next cycle. You will have a much better outcome.

phillykid

Postby phillykid » Mon May 28, 2012 11:15 pm

Bilqis wrote:

It really isn't

Piece of cake? And you're choosing between Cooley and Wesleyan? That's like saying making money is easy, and asking where you should work, McDonalds or Burger King?

phillykid

Postby phillykid » Mon May 28, 2012 11:17 pm

But seriously, tust keep studying for the June LSAT. Take the year off while applying this fall.

Bilqis

Postby Bilqis » Mon May 28, 2012 11:24 pm

Nova wrote:
Bilqis wrote:

It really isn't

Well, you need to find time.

Go to the library to get away from your roommates... or even a booth at McDonalds. I know people working 40+ hours a week who still manage to study 20+ hours a week. Its cause they want it, badly.

Are you trying to start law school this fall with a June LSAT? Dont do that. Take the test in October and apply next cycle. You will have a much better outcome.

That's a good advice, thank you, I will take the June LSAT and see, I will probably register for the October if needed, I know multiple scores will significantly disadvantage my application but I have no choice.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Mon May 28, 2012 11:25 pm

Multiple scores will not disadvantage you at all. Going to either of these schools will.

Bilqis

Postby Bilqis » Mon May 28, 2012 11:28 pm

phillykid wrote:
Bilqis wrote:

It really isn't

Piece of cake? And you're choosing between Cooley and Wesleyan? That's like saying making money is easy, and asking where you should work, McDonalds or Burger King?

Comparing to the GRE and the GMAT, it's piece of cake! all that is to it is convoluted language.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Mon May 28, 2012 11:32 pm

Nova wrote: I know people working 40+ hours a week who still manage to study 20+ hours a week. Its cause they want it, badly. .

Oh, Hai. I work full-time and put in well over 20 hours a week towards the LSAT.

Bilqis

Postby Bilqis » Mon May 28, 2012 11:39 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
Nova wrote: I know people working 40+ hours a week who still manage to study 20+ hours a week. Its cause they want it, badly. .

Oh, Hai. I work full-time and put in well over 20 hours a week towards the LSAT.

Wow! it's people like you who constantly challenge me to be better. Keep up the hard work, I am sure you will be an amazing lawyer.

I study an average of 5 hours a day, sometimes 8, no exaggeration.

tyro

Postby tyro » Mon May 28, 2012 11:42 pm

Haven't heard of Wesleyan.

Eco

Postby Eco » Mon May 28, 2012 11:44 pm

Look man. Do the LSAT. If it's not good enough to get into a good school, then DO NOT GO to law school. There are other ways you can fulfill your career ambitions. Even going to a top 20 school nowadays is no guarantee of anything, let alone a shithole like Cooley..lol

Bilqis

Postby Bilqis » Mon May 28, 2012 11:53 pm

Eco wrote:Look man. Do the LSAT. If it's not good enough to get into a good school, then DO NOT GO to law school. There are other ways you can fulfill your career ambitions. Even going to a top 20 school nowadays is no guarantee of anything, let alone a shithole like Cooley..lol

First of all, I am not a man, I wish I was but that's not the point

Then these law schools are only temporary, if I were for any nightmarish reason going to continue in either then I will let go of my dream and look elsewhere, I don't want to go to a school that will only crown with shame and have me "blink" whenever I mention its name.

I have a question of great importance, can I drop from Cooley, in the case that transfer proved impossible, then start all over in Duke once I get the score required?

Systematic1

Postby Systematic1 » Mon May 28, 2012 11:58 pm

Bilqis wrote:
Eco wrote:I have a question of great importance, can I drop from Cooley, in the case that transfer proved impossible, then start all over in Duke once I get the score required?

Evidence is mounting in favor of flame. Forget about Duke, Cooley is perfect for you.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Mon May 28, 2012 11:59 pm

Bilqis wrote:
Eco wrote:Look man. Do the LSAT. If it's not good enough to get into a good school, then DO NOT GO to law school. There are other ways you can fulfill your career ambitions. Even going to a top 20 school nowadays is no guarantee of anything, let alone a shithole like Cooley..lol

Then these law schools are only temporary, if I were for any nightmarish reason going to continue in either then I will let go of my dream and look elsewhere, I don't want to go to a school that will only crown with shame and have me "blink" whenever I mention its name.

I have a question of great importance, can I drop from Cooley, in the case that transfer proved impossible, then start all over in Duke once I get the score required?

oh lawd

iowalum

Postby iowalum » Tue May 29, 2012 12:00 am

Bilqis wrote:

I'm not sure you want to have dropping out of Cooley on your record.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”