Fellowships for Students Considering Taking a Year Off

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cassielam

Fellowships for Students Considering Taking a Year Off

Postby cassielam » Mon May 28, 2012 9:11 pm

Hi everyone! Recently I've been considering the value in taking a year off upon graduating prior to applying to law school. I was once certain I wanted to go straight into 1L but after having spoken to many friends, it seems that they really recommend the year off. What are some fellowships to which I may apply for my year off? I know of Justice Corps Fellows in Los Angeles, which I'm already a part of as an undergrad, but any others? Thanks!

LOLyer

Re: Fellowships for Students Considering Taking a Year Off

Postby LOLyer » Mon May 28, 2012 9:22 pm

Don't they start billing you for your debt when you stop being a full time student?

*sigh*

Rich people...

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon May 28, 2012 9:26 pm

LOLyer wrote:Don't they start billing you for your debt when you stop being a full time student?

*sigh*

Rich people...

Or, people who didn't take so much debt they couldn't pay it back with the job their undergrad degree could get them?

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Tue May 29, 2012 6:25 am

If you're interested in studying/traveling abroad like I was, you may consider the Boren Fellowship/Scholarship. I'm not familiar with the Justice Corps Fellowship in LA, but in NYC at least there are also a few year-long fellowships that one can apply for within the city government. I'm sure you could find something similar for your local government as well if you're interested in that.

BearState

Postby BearState » Tue May 29, 2012 10:21 am

AmeriCorps programs are nice (if the pay is a bit low) and allow you to defer your student loans the entire time you work.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”