How much will age hold me back? (Graduate at 23)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lawschool?s

How much will age hold me back? (Graduate at 23)

Postby lawschool?s » Sun May 27, 2012 5:27 am

So I realize I am quite a bit younger than most people and I won't even be able to legally drink till the last month or two of my 1L year and was wondering what this will do for my social life/job prospects?

I am either attending Cornell or USC if that matters.

I am a pretty outgoing and friendly guy, but I have no idea how much law school culture revolves around drinking (specifically at bars). If it would be weird to drink since it would be illegal and the whole idea is your studying the law.

Would it be a turn off for employers or something interesting to highlight?

GreatNorth87

Re: How much will age hold me back? (Graduate at 23)

Postby GreatNorth87 » Sun May 27, 2012 7:23 am

It will only hurt you if you act your age. It probably won't help you either other than for an interviewer to say "neat, next question." Unless you are a child prodigy graduating from HYS at 19, your age is not likely to be significant. 23 isn't that young. A number of schools have 3+3 programs where students graduate at 23 or 24 from law school, so there are probably a few more people out there in your situation.

I'd probably suck it up and try to avoid bars because of character and fitness. Social life is important but you will still make friends in your section.

BVest

Postby BVest » Sun May 27, 2012 9:16 am

GreatNorth87 wrote:It will only hurt you if you act your age. It probably won't help you either other than for an interviewer to say "neat, next question." Unless you are a child prodigy graduating from HYS at 19, your age is not likely to be significant. 23 isn't that young. A number of schools have 3+3 programs where students graduate at 23 or 24 from law school, so there are probably a few more people out there in your situation.

I'd probably suck it up and try to avoid bars because of character and fitness. Social life is important but you will still make friends in your section.

Also, be aware of what bars near the school are more than bars (i.e. restaurants/pubs that have a very bar feel to them but allow all ages/18 and up). That way you can throw out suggestions to go there.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue May 29, 2012 11:23 am

While definitely spending more than my fair share of time at bars in law school, there were also plenty of school functions and house parties going on during any given weekend. Yes, there will be times when you will feel excluded because of your age. For the most part, though, you should be able to find a group of people to hang out with on any given night, if you feel like relaxing with some friends.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue May 29, 2012 11:30 am

isn't it illegal for employers to ask this?

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Wed May 30, 2012 4:52 pm

I don't think anyone (including employers) cares about your age. But if one of your biggest concerns is your not being able to drink...that is a problem.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Thu May 31, 2012 3:41 pm

cutecarmel wrote:But if one of your biggest concerns is your not being able to drink...that is a problem.

I don't think he was worried about not being able to drink - I think it was more that a significant amount of the socializing at law school is done at bars or events where alcohol is served, and as someone who isn't yet 21, he'd be left out of those events.

dudders

Postby dudders » Thu May 31, 2012 3:58 pm

Don't worry about employment. Other than your college graduation year, employers won't even know how old you are unless you tell them. (Which I wouldn't - I'm 27 and I personally wouldn't want a 21-year-old intern. I like maturity, and age tends to be a proxy for that.)

I'd only be worried about age specifically insofar as the same lack of work experience for any K-JD.

Going to the bar in law school varies from school to school. At mine, I think you can get into all on-campus drinking events (you just get a non-drinking wristband). I think bar review would be the same (I've never gone), as few places in my city are honestly "bars," 21+ only, or at least don't check Ids at the door until 10 pm. I have nondrinking friends who don't feel like they're missing out, but it might be different if you want to be there/drinking vs. don't drink for personal or religious reasons.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Thu May 31, 2012 4:03 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:isn't it illegal for employers to ask this?

To my knowledge, it's not illegal for an employer to ask any kind of question. They just can't use it in the decision making process, which is why most companies stay away from questions like that. That way, they create a firewall and show that it wasn't considered. And it's much easier to argue that you didn't use race, religion, age, etc in the hiring decision if you don't ask about it.

But no - employers won't ask. They probably won't be able to tell the difference between a 23-year old and a 25-year old. and I can't imagine people caring.

dudders

Postby dudders » Thu May 31, 2012 4:24 pm

TommyK wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:isn't it illegal for employers to ask this?

To my knowledge, it's not illegal for an employer to ask any kind of question. They just can't use it in the decision making process, which is why most companies stay away from questions like that. That way, they create a firewall and show that it wasn't considered. And it's much easier to argue that you didn't use race, religion, age, etc in the hiring decision if you don't ask about it.

But no - employers won't ask. They probably won't be able to tell the difference between a 23-year old and a 25-year old. and I can't imagine people caring.

Federally, it's only age discrimination if the victim is over 40. Technically.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Thu May 31, 2012 4:31 pm

dudders wrote:Federally, it's only age discrimination if the victim is over 40. Technically.

Thanks. I had a feeling that was the case, but I wasn't sure if I was confusing that with housing discrimination... Because I think you can discriminate on housing decisions if they're too young, but not too old. It's been years since I had to learn that crap. Regardless, still true - I've never heard of an employer even asking about that (well, I had one guy who I worked with who was a southern white dude in his 60's and he asked questions about religion, race, marital status, and age all the time because he thought he could get away with it because people found his southern drawl charming)

lawschool?s

Postby lawschool?s » Thu May 31, 2012 5:42 pm

I am not worried about "age discrimination" but looks/maturity could be a factor. I would never consider myself immature, but I do lack the young professional feel. I still feel like a normal college kid in my mind and I would turn 23 less than a month before I graduate from law school which makes me a little nervous competing with the likes of you guys.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:00 pm

lawschool?s wrote:I am not worried about "age discrimination" but looks/maturity could be a factor. I would never consider myself immature, but I do lack the young professional feel. I still feel like a normal college kid in my mind and I would turn 23 less than a month before I graduate from law school which makes me a little nervous competing with the likes of you guys.

I had a friend who couldn't even drink by the time she graduated law school. She got a Big Law job. I wouldn't worry.

lawschool?s

Postby lawschool?s » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:58 pm

I find this pretty encouraging. Any other helpful advice or stories?

DaftAndDirect

Postby DaftAndDirect » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:11 am

Have you considered taking some time off to do something else before school? I'm a bit younger myself (not as much as you) and graduated college when I was 20. I figured that since I had some extra years, I'd spend them working, saving money, and getting some life experience.

I can't say for certain what my time off is going to do for my success in law school, but I'm confident that it can only help.

flcath

Postby flcath » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:19 am

They can't tell your age from your resume, and typically won't ever learn it (there are some exceptions). The closest they can gauge it by is (1) looking at your appearance, and (2) seeing your college graduation year, which for me (and non-trads) is a several years back.

So unless you've got acne (in which case the problem isn't that you look young), you'll be fine.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”