Backing-down from LSAT (Advice please)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
jas1503
Posts: 313
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:27 pm

Backing-down from LSAT (Advice please)

Postby jas1503 » Sat May 26, 2012 3:00 pm

Hello,

I've been studying for the June test date for a little over a month, and I'm still not comfortable/confident with my consistency on PT. Is it a solid idea to skip my first exam? Should I cancel or "no show" ?

Everyone is telling me to just give it a shot and see how I do, but it doesn't seem worth the risk of having a score that's lower than what I'm aiming for (167+).

The one advantage to taking June LSAT is that American is still accepting applications, so I could get the chance to pay Sticker there for a year if I do well enough on the exam.

Are there any schools besides American that will accept June LSAT?

Do I have a 0% chance of getting any money from a school this late in the application game?

silentbob
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 3:44 pm

Re: Backing-down from LSAT (Advice please)

Postby silentbob » Sat May 26, 2012 3:03 pm

Taking it in OCT, and sending out your app's in Novemeber is hardly considered "late". Thats still fairly early I would think.

User avatar
jas1503
Posts: 313
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Backing-down from LSAT (Advice please)

Postby jas1503 » Sat May 26, 2012 3:10 pm

silentbob wrote:Taking it in OCT, and sending out your app's in Novemeber is hardly considered "late"


Let me clarify,

If I get a June score, then find a school that will accept it (like American) for the Fall 2012 start, is getting any $$ for Fall impossible?

Also, attending a law school that starts in Spring, what are your opinions ?

silentbob
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 3:44 pm

Re: Backing-down from LSAT (Advice please)

Postby silentbob » Sat May 26, 2012 3:15 pm

Spring admisions, Im not sure, I found this online though.

Spring Admisions-
Baylor -> YES
Whitier -> YES
South Texas -> YES
Northern Kentucky -> YES
Cardozo -> YES
John Marshall -> YES

Any others?

User avatar
TopHatToad
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:09 pm

Re: Backing-down from LSAT (Advice please)

Postby TopHatToad » Sat May 26, 2012 3:21 pm

If your target is a 167 and it's a realistic target, you shouldn't be looking at any of the spring admissions schools (that I know of).

That being said, how far are you from your target? Is this nerves or rational concern? Honestly, if you're PTing in the ballpark, just go ahead and sit for the June test. You could surprise yourself when they release your score, and worst-case scenario you have two more tries to improve.

ETA- Money isn't impossible this late in the game, but you're shooting yourself in the foot compared to applying early for next cycle. Why the rush?
Last edited by TopHatToad on Sat May 26, 2012 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jas1503
Posts: 313
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Backing-down from LSAT (Advice please)

Postby jas1503 » Sat May 26, 2012 3:22 pm

silentbob wrote:Spring admisions, Im not sure, I found this online though.

Spring Admisions-
Baylor -> YES
Whitier -> YES
South Texas -> YES
Northern Kentucky -> YES
Cardozo -> YES
John Marshall -> YES

Any others?

Niiice!

Would love Dozo since I'm from New York, could keep a decent job as a part-timer, and REALLY want to focus on Entertainment Law class

silentbob
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 3:44 pm

Re: Backing-down from LSAT (Advice please)

Postby silentbob » Sat May 26, 2012 3:23 pm

Here is a link to thread about spring admisions.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 5&t=159391

User avatar
jas1503
Posts: 313
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Backing-down from LSAT (Advice please)

Postby jas1503 » Sat May 26, 2012 3:27 pm

TopHatToad wrote:If your target is a 167 and it's a realistic target, you shouldn't be looking at any of the spring admissions schools (that I know of).

That being said, how far are you from your target? Is this nerves or rational concern? Honestly, if you're PTing in the ballpark, just go ahead and sit for the June test. You could surprise yourself when they release your score, and worst-case scenario you have two more tries to improve.

ETA- Money isn't impossible this late in the game, but you're shooting yourself in the foot compared to applying early for next cycle. Why the rush?

I'm doing low 160's and getting very fatigued during the exams; also, I'm still comfortable with the timing needed for each section...Missing too many random questions on sections, sometimes it's 9 on LR, or 7 on RC.

Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: Backing-down from LSAT (Advice please)

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sat May 26, 2012 3:30 pm

silentbob wrote:Spring admisions, Im not sure, I found this online though.

Spring Admisions-
Baylor -> YES
Whitier -> YES
South Texas -> YES
Northern Kentucky -> YES
Cardozo -> YES
John Marshall -> YES

Any others?


Any schools that offer spring admissions are almost categorically not worth going to. Going to American at anything below a full ride is a huge risk. Take your test in October and start aiming for a 170+. Also start aiming for better schools. That is a bigger issue than taking in June.

User avatar
TopHatToad
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:09 pm

Re: Backing-down from LSAT (Advice please)

Postby TopHatToad » Sat May 26, 2012 3:36 pm

If you're still inconsistent, it's up to you whether or not you sit for June. As far as ways to get out of your situation, have you tried back-to-back tests (to train endurance) and shorter timed LR drills? My favorite was trying to see how many questions in a row I could answer under a minute... 10 in 10, 12 in 12, 15 in 15...

As I'm sure you know, your LSAT score is going to open doors to cheaper tuition and better job prospects; devote as much time as you need to it and kill the Oct exam and you're set.

bruss
Posts: 470
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 3:58 am

Re: Backing-down from LSAT (Advice please)

Postby bruss » Sat May 26, 2012 3:42 pm

You will not get scholly money for late applications.

The best thing to do is take test in Oct. Apply November. Get accepted with scholly money.

Also what is ur gpa? How long have you been studying for lsat?

These thinga matter because with a good score you will laugh at the thought of you even going to American

User avatar
jas1503
Posts: 313
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Backing-down from LSAT (Advice please)

Postby jas1503 » Sat May 26, 2012 3:55 pm

bruss wrote:You will not get scholly money for late applications.

The best thing to do is take test in Oct. Apply November. Get accepted with scholly money.

Also what is ur gpa? How long have you been studying for lsat?

These things matter because with a good score you will laugh at the thought of you even going to American

I'm at a 3.1 & studying for about 2 months so far. I think the drilling and practice will really make me confident for Oct exam. I'm a little impatient about waiting a whole year to start because of my age, but paying sticker anywhere is tough without solid reasons

Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: Backing-down from LSAT (Advice please)

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sat May 26, 2012 3:58 pm

jas1503 wrote:
bruss wrote:You will not get scholly money for late applications.

The best thing to do is take test in Oct. Apply November. Get accepted with scholly money.

Also what is ur gpa? How long have you been studying for lsat?

These things matter because with a good score you will laugh at the thought of you even going to American

I'm at a 3.1 & studying for about 2 months so far. I think the drilling and practice will really make me confident for Oct exam. I'm a little impatient about waiting a whole year to start because of my age, but paying sticker anywhere is tough without solid reasons


Paying sticker anywhere below the top 14 is something you should practically never do. It doesn't seem like you are independently wealthy so this would be a terrible move.

User avatar
Liquox
Posts: 273
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:46 pm

Re: Backing-down from LSAT (Advice please)

Postby Liquox » Sat May 26, 2012 6:33 pm

Your best shot right now is to "get LSAt logic". Once you do that ur score will shoot up by a significant margin. Unless u can do that before june, do not take the June test

User avatar
Scotusnerd
Posts: 813
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:36 pm

Re: Backing-down from LSAT (Advice please)

Postby Scotusnerd » Sun May 27, 2012 11:50 am

Take the October test. A good LSAT score will open many doors.

A bad one will open many wallets.

User avatar
JCFindley
Posts: 1283
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:19 pm

Re: Backing-down from LSAT (Advice please)

Postby JCFindley » Sun May 27, 2012 1:18 pm

Take the June LSAT or don't.... It's paid for at this point either way (I think at this point in the game...)

That said, consider it a timed PT and plan on taking the October test as well unless you get a 180.... As far as schools that accept a June LSAT I believe Alabama is the best school with an August deadline. Alabama is a GREAT school IF you are from there, get some $$$, pay in state tuition, and want to STAY in Alabama.... Maybe not so much for anyone else....

Regardless of that take a deeeeeep breath, find something you want to do for a year and plan on applying with your October score. Seriously, how well you do on the LSAT, what your future career goals are, where you want to live when you graduate and any other number of things should determine where you apply. The fact that they accept a June LSAT is definitely not a good reason to apply..... (Unless of course your dream school is Alabama then sure, go ahead) American on the other hand should NOT be your dream school as there are simply better choices that feed the same market or getting American with $$$ could make it a lot more attractive......

Seriously, why not take the June LSAT and just plan on doing it again in October.....

JC




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cocozhang9950, Google [Bot] and 4 guests