LOR Advice Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gocanes

New

LOR Advice

Post by gocanes » Sat May 26, 2012 11:55 am

Need your advice on if I should get a third LOR. I have two in the works right now.

My first one is from a professor from my major who I had a class with and then did research with and should be a very strong letter. I'm more worried about if my second LOR will be sufficient. It is from a professor in my other major (history) who oversaw a non-traditional class where I would go to a local underperforming high school and guest lecture, mentor, etc in a history class. She didn't see my writing skills, or even witness me in the classroom, but I have been very involved in the program and she asked me to continue next semester in a much bigger way so I think she'll have good things to stay.

Should I get a third letter from a professor since the second one isn't a traditional academic letter? I could get another fairly strong one (i.e. from a prof who I took 2 classes with and got As but never visited him in office hours or anything) if need be.

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Re: LOR Advice

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Sat May 26, 2012 12:55 pm

The first thing you should do is find a polite way to ask the second LOR writer whether the letter speaks to your skills and academic abilties. It's okay to ask that. A letter that says 'gocanes participated in this wonderful program; let me describe the ways in which the program is wonderful...' won't help you much, especially if you already summarize the program in your CV (as you should).

Unless the letter speaks to your skills and abilities substantially, I would certainly get a third. If I was you, I would submit the first and the third letters with your applications, and save the second for use as an LOCI substitute/supplement if you get held or waitlisted - I regretted not having one of those this cycle.

VasaVasori

Silver

Post by VasaVasori » Mon May 28, 2012 9:53 pm

Last edited by VasaVasori on Sat May 02, 2015 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Tue May 29, 2012 11:30 am

AntipodeanPhil wrote:A letter that says 'gocanes participated in this wonderful program; let me describe the ways in which the program is wonderful...' won't help you much, especially if you already summarize the program in your CV (as you should).
This. The letter could be fine if it focuses on the writer's experiences with you and how you performed in the program. It won't help you if it just talks about the program itself. If the letter focuses on you, then use it as your second letter. If it doesn't, find another one. If you're unsure which of those two it is, find another one.

cutecarmel

Silver

Post by cutecarmel » Wed May 30, 2012 4:54 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:The first thing you should do is find a polite way to ask the second LOR writer whether the letter speaks to your skills and academic abilties. It's okay to ask that. A letter that says 'gocanes participated in this wonderful program; let me describe the ways in which the program is wonderful...' won't help you much, especially if you already summarize the program in your CV (as you should).

Unless the letter speaks to your skills and abilities substantially, I would certainly get a third. If I was you, I would submit the first and the third letters with your applications, and save the second for use as an LOCI substitute/supplement if you get held or waitlisted - I regretted not having one of those this cycle.
+1

You want an LOR from someone who is going to be able to praise your academic abilities. Get a better third LOR and use the second one only if they allow more than 2.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”