LOR from a law librarian?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
totalmajor

LOR from a law librarian?

Postby totalmajor » Fri May 25, 2012 4:26 pm

So I got screwed by my counselor before graduating at the half year mark when it came to choosing classes. I assumed I was ready to graduate until the registrar emailed me saying I'm missing three credit hours a month before the semester is over. I frantically find a professor that'll bring on board for an independent study and thankfully and luckily, I do. Now I'm writing about a certain case in the Supreme Court and as an undergrad, I literally have 0 idea for what I should be doing so I start going to the law library down at school.

The guy at the reference desk who has been a great help with finding resources has told me numerous times that he's pretty impressed with the work I've accomplished as an undergrad when it comes to the trial (especially within this period of time). I've probably been meeting / emailing him about this over the last 2 or so weeks (when I started writing this paper) and the idea of an LOR popped into my head. I feel like he's a pretty reputable person with an JD, LLM, MSLIS from good schools.

Is it worth asking? I'm terrible at this sort of stuff so I never know if I'm making a good call or not.

Summary: Writing a 30 pager, needed help from law reference desk, impressed with what I've done as an undergrad, should I ask him for a LOR?

Thanks

JDizzle2015

Re: LOR from a law librarian?

Postby JDizzle2015 » Fri May 25, 2012 6:35 pm

My concern is that he only knows you for two weeks. If you truly feel that he is the best person to speak to your academic potential in law school (and since I doubt he'll bring up the fact that he barely knows you), it could be an option. I think you should still try to use a professor from a real class that has known you for more than a few weeks.

Postby 2014 » Sun May 27, 2012 12:03 am

I don't think there is anything wrong with it. He can speak about the quality of your academic work and he knows the rigors of law school both in terms of his own education and his current experience.

totalmajor

Postby totalmajor » Sun May 27, 2012 2:55 pm

How do you think he'll react to it? I'm always kind of a pussy when it comes to asking people for LOR's. I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask. The only problem is that I'm back at home now instead of at school so I don't know if an email is the best way to ask...

Postby 2014 » Sun May 27, 2012 10:14 pm

You should typically ask in person but an email isn't the end of the world. I imagine he will be flattered and possibly confused but if he agrees I'm sure he will do a good job.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue May 29, 2012 11:27 am

I would not recommend getting a LoR from the law librarian. You want your LoRs to be from people who supervised work that you did, either on the job or in a classroom. Someone who helped you with a paper isn't in a supervisory/position of power.

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Wed May 30, 2012 6:09 pm

totalmajor wrote:So I got screwed by my counselor before graduating at the half year mark when it came to choosing classes. I assumed I was ready to graduate until the registrar emailed me saying I'm missing three credit hours a month before the semester is over. I frantically find a professor that'll bring on board for an independent study and thankfully and luckily, I do. Now I'm writing about a certain case in the Supreme Court and as an undergrad, I literally have 0 idea for what I should be doing so I start going to the law library down at school.

The guy at the reference desk who has been a great help with finding resources has told me numerous times that he's pretty impressed with the work I've accomplished as an undergrad when it comes to the trial (especially within this period of time). I've probably been meeting / emailing him about this over the last 2 or so weeks (when I started writing this paper) and the idea of an LOR popped into my head. I feel like he's a pretty reputable person with an JD, LLM, MSLIS from good schools.

Is it worth asking? I'm terrible at this sort of stuff so I never know if I'm making a good call or not.

Summary: Writing a 30 pager, needed help from law reference desk, impressed with what I've done as an undergrad, should I ask him for a LOR?

Thanks

No. He doesn't know you well enough and his reputation isn't nearly as important as someone who can account for yours.

dowu

Postby dowu » Wed May 30, 2012 6:30 pm

:shock: :shock:

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”