UIUC or Northwestern?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bk1

Re: UIUC or Northwestern?

Postby bk1 » Thu May 24, 2012 7:07 pm

givemea170 wrote:My Dad is freaking out about it right now, mostly because I just signed a lease. If I can get out of the lease, they would be more than willing to pay the extra cost.

I feel like an idiot right now for signing the lease 2 days before this email comes. I had given up hope of Northwestern.

As for my Parents/guilt issue, they only guilt me when I 'waste' money... this lease signing is going to waste money, just hopefully not the full amount.

It's not really "wasting" money. You made a reasonable decision (signing a lease since your chances of going to another school weren't that high). You are now in it at NU. You are losing the lease money to go to a better school. I don't understand how a reasonable person would consider this actually wasting money. Paying for UIUC, now that's wasting money.

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Thu May 24, 2012 7:10 pm

bk1 wrote:
givemea170 wrote:My Dad is freaking out about it right now, mostly because I just signed a lease. If I can get out of the lease, they would be more than willing to pay the extra cost.

I feel like an idiot right now for signing the lease 2 days before this email comes. I had given up hope of Northwestern.

As for my Parents/guilt issue, they only guilt me when I 'waste' money... this lease signing is going to waste money, just hopefully not the full amount.

It's not really "wasting" money. You made a reasonable decision (signing a lease since your chances of going to another school weren't that high). You are now in it at NU. You are losing the lease money to go to a better school. I don't understand how a reasonable person would consider this actually wasting money. Paying for UIUC, now that's wasting money.

My Dad isn't necessarily a reasonable person. I've seen his investments (actually helped make some of them) and they are millionaires, yet they drive around cars that cost $3,000 and never fix or maintain their house. But they are great. No doubt about that, just a little unreasonable and pigheaded. I'm not even sure what they are saving up for, they both hate to travel, hate boats, don't care about fancy cars or vacations.

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Thu May 24, 2012 7:15 pm

I need a life manager. I make terrible decisions and never know what to do.

I just like 3 more people to tell me I'm a fool if I choose Illinois and I'll probable be sold :lol:

cactuarX3

Postby cactuarX3 » Thu May 24, 2012 7:25 pm

givemea170 wrote:I need a life manager. I make terrible decisions and never know what to do.

I just like 3 more people to tell me I'm a fool if I choose Illinois and I'll probable be sold :lol:

I'm saying you're a fool if you choose Illinois.

The guy sitting behind me says you're a fool if you choose Illinois.

And my other co-worker just yelled out you're a fool if you choose Illinois from across the hall.

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Thu May 24, 2012 8:04 pm

givemea170 wrote:
Total Litigator wrote:And Property 101 - you are only liable for the amount of money the landlord loses, and he has to make reasonably diligent efforts to rent out the property after you get out of the lease. Sounds like he will rent it pretty soon / will have no excuse for not renting it out soon.

Enjoy the above nugget of above free legal advice from an unemployed recent grad.

LOL... my first approach will be honest and kind. I really honestly had no idea I'd get into Northwestern. I considered the chances microscopic with my GPA.

If that doesn't work, I probably will throw some comments like that at him. I think it'd be smart business to take my security deposit and move on and lease the place out to the several other people who were interested.

That is the right approach. However, make sure you get out of the lease as soon as possible (notice how whether going to UIUC isn't even an issue anymore? lol). If you wait too long, there will be less unhoused students available for him to rent to, and the chances of him getting the place rented soon (i.e. after only one or two days) go down.

Btw, I went to a "T25" and did reasonably well. The difference between the 'T25' (especially in the Midwest) and the T14 (especially NU) is night and day. In terms of biglaw, UIUC and NU are about UIUC's 12% chance at biglaw versus NU's 50%+ (I believe NU was actually #1 biglaw placement around 2010).

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Thu May 24, 2012 9:52 pm

Total Litigator wrote:
givemea170 wrote:
Total Litigator wrote:And Property 101 - you are only liable for the amount of money the landlord loses, and he has to make reasonably diligent efforts to rent out the property after you get out of the lease. Sounds like he will rent it pretty soon / will have no excuse for not renting it out soon.

Enjoy the above nugget of above free legal advice from an unemployed recent grad.

LOL... my first approach will be honest and kind. I really honestly had no idea I'd get into Northwestern. I considered the chances microscopic with my GPA.

If that doesn't work, I probably will throw some comments like that at him. I think it'd be smart business to take my security deposit and move on and lease the place out to the several other people who were interested.

That is the right approach. However, make sure you get out of the lease as soon as possible (notice how whether going to UIUC isn't even an issue anymore? lol). If you wait too long, there will be less unhoused students available for him to rent to, and the chances of him getting the place rented soon (i.e. after only one or two days) go down.

Btw, I went to a "T25" and did reasonably well. The difference between the 'T25' (especially in the Midwest) and the T14 (especially NU) is night and day. In terms of biglaw, UIUC and NU are about UIUC's 12% chance at biglaw versus NU's 50%+ (I believe NU was actually #1 biglaw placement around 2010).

The guy was very kind. He said he would try to lease it out immediately and he should be able to do it and I would not even be responsible for a security deposit. He said worst case scenario is he doesn't find someone until August and I'm only responsible for July's rent. Very very nice guy and he understood why I had to do it and everything.

I think I'm sold on Northwestern now that I have that figured out.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Thu May 24, 2012 11:11 pm

For 2011, the stats were 18% UIUC into Biglaw, and 44% Northwestern. edit: (doesn't include clerkships)

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1

You know I'm matriculating into llinois, and you know how I was rooting for you to go there (from your Notre Dame thread), but you really should go to Northwestern. Congrats and enjoy!!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”