UIUC or Northwestern?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
givemea170

UIUC or Northwestern?

Postby givemea170 » Thu May 24, 2012 5:35 pm

I had a feeling this would happen.

Northwestern at full price
Illinois at 33% scholarship

I just signed a lease in Champaign 2 days ago but could probably get out of it with a sublease b/c the place was highly sought after.

Should this even be a decision? Need someone to talk some sense into me.

cactuarX3

Re: UIUC or Northwestern?

Postby cactuarX3 » Thu May 24, 2012 5:38 pm

givemea170 wrote:I had a feeling this would happen.

Northwestern at full price
Illinois at 33% scholarship

I just signed a lease in Champaign 2 days ago but could probably get out of it with a sublease b/c the place was highly sought after.

Should this even be a decision? Need someone to talk some sense into me.

Was Illinois the one that had that scandal this year? If so, shouldn't even be a choice.

ahnhub

Postby ahnhub » Thu May 24, 2012 5:42 pm

NU. It'd only be a debate if UIUC were completely free.

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Thu May 24, 2012 5:51 pm

ahnhub wrote:NU. It'd only be a debate if UIUC were completely free.

So I'm crazy for considering staying with UIUC? I think I'd be stupid to stay with UIUC just because I signed a lease 2 days ago for a condo.

cactuarX3

Postby cactuarX3 » Thu May 24, 2012 5:55 pm

givemea170 wrote:

So I'm crazy for considering staying with UIUC? I think I'd be stupid to stay with UIUC just because I signed a lease 2 days ago for a condo.

Illinois WAS the one with the admissions scandal. I think that should make your decision pretty easy...

chicubs88

Postby chicubs88 » Thu May 24, 2012 5:58 pm

I faced a similar decision last year. I could go to UIUC with a scholarship or go to a lower T14 at sticker. I chose UIUC because they offered me a full tuition scholarship that was guaranteed all 3 years. I love UIUC, went here for undergrad and now law school, but in my opinion 33% is no where near enough money to justify UIUC over NW.

ahnhub

Postby ahnhub » Thu May 24, 2012 6:00 pm

givemea170 wrote:

Do you think you could help the landlord find a new tenant, and have him sign a direct lease? Or make some kind of agreement with the landlord to pay a small penalty and get out of your lease? If you're cool with subleasing that's fine, but I always try to avoid potential messiness with stuff like that.

So you're probably looking at 130-140K in debt Illinois and like 240K from NU, right (are you a resident)? Those are awfully high numbers for either, but I'd pick NU hands-down in that situation. I'd only consider Illinois if the debt were super-manageable, like under 75K.

EDIT: Let UIUC know you got into NU.
Last edited by ahnhub on Thu May 24, 2012 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Thu May 24, 2012 6:06 pm

ahnhub wrote:
givemea170 wrote:

Do you think you could help the landlord find a new tenant, and have him sign a direct lease? Or make some kind of agreement with the landlord to pay a small penalty and get out of your lease? If you're cool with subleasing that's fine, but I always try to avoid potential messiness with stuff like that.

So you're probably looking at 130-140K in debt Illinois and like 240K from NU, right (are you a resident)? Those are awfully high numbers for either, but I'd pick NU hands-down in that situation. I'd only consider Illinois if the debt were super-manageable, like under 75K.

He had 2-3 other people interested in this place, so it shouldn't be too hard. I will just have to call him tomorrow. I already sent in my deposit so maybe I'll just say he can keep that if he'll cancel the lease.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu May 24, 2012 6:11 pm

Even though you'll be facing $257,000 total COA when you have to start repaying your law school loans, Northwestern is still probably a better investment in your situation. Illinois, after reductions for a 33% tuition scholarship, would be about $150,000 debt. The career options are strong enough at NU to justify the cost difference.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Thu May 24, 2012 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Thu May 24, 2012 6:15 pm

I remember you saying that you won't have to take on any debt for school. Since that's the case, then bro, enjoy Chicago. But if you want to leverage with Illinois, then go ahead, but would more money really dissuade you from Illinois?

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Thu May 24, 2012 6:22 pm

mattviphky wrote:I remember you saying that you won't have to take on any debt for school. Since that's the case, then bro, enjoy Chicago. But if you want to leverage with Illinois, then go ahead, but would more money really dissuade you from Illinois?

My parents would complain but probably would pony up the cost of Northwestern. If not, I'd be willing to go into a little debt as the difference there. I may email Illinois but I'm just trying to figure out what is the best decision.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu May 24, 2012 6:23 pm

givemea170 wrote:
mattviphky wrote:I remember you saying that you won't have to take on any debt for school. Since that's the case, then bro, enjoy Chicago. But if you want to leverage with Illinois, then go ahead, but would more money really dissuade you from Illinois?

My parents would complain but probably would pony up the cost of Northwestern. If not, I'd be willing to go into a little debt as the difference there. I may email Illinois but I'm just trying to figure out what is the best decision.

:shock: :shock: Your parents have $200K laying around (or even HALF of that) and this is even a QUESTION?? It's barely a question assuming 100% loans/scholarships.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu May 24, 2012 6:25 pm

The better choice is clearly NU; but a substantial scholarship offer increase from Illinois could cloud the picture depending upon your career objectives.

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Thu May 24, 2012 6:28 pm

So I should ask for more money from Illinois even though the first deposit has already been made?

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Thu May 24, 2012 6:30 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
givemea170 wrote:

:shock: :shock: Your parents have $200K laying around (or even HALF of that) and this is even a QUESTION?? It's barely a question assuming 100% loans/scholarships.

I hate borrowing money from them though. So I like to pretend it is my own money.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu May 24, 2012 6:30 pm

Yes, you should ask Illinois for more scholarship money. But be sure to tell Illinois admissions that you were recently accepted to Northwestern & need to accept or decline soon.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu May 24, 2012 6:31 pm

NU. Only consider Illinois at about 10K tuition per year vs NU sticker.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu May 24, 2012 6:37 pm

givemea170 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
givemea170 wrote:

I hate borrowing money from them though. So I like to pretend it is my own money.

Will it negatively affect their quality of life if you borrow it?
Are you putting their retirement/house/business at risk by borrowing it?
Are they willing to loan it without drama/guilt/etc?

If no to all of the above, then STFU and borrow it. And know how lucky you are that your parents have that much spare cash, because most of us can't even dream of that.

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Thu May 24, 2012 6:53 pm

My Dad is freaking out about it right now, mostly because I just signed a lease. If I can get out of the lease, they would be more than willing to pay the extra cost.

I feel like an idiot right now for signing the lease 2 days before this email comes. I had given up hope of Northwestern.

As for my Parents/guilt issue, they only guilt me when I 'waste' money... this lease signing is going to waste money, just hopefully not the full amount. That is why they are upset. They don't care to help me. My parents are loaded, but frugal. They drive around cheap cars and spend all of their money on my brother, sister, and my education. I realize how lucky I am, I just wish they'd spend it on themselves.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu May 24, 2012 6:55 pm

Some states have a cooling off period for certain types of contracts. Check with your landlord to see if you have an option to cancel.

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Thu May 24, 2012 6:58 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Some states have a cooling off period for certain types of contracts. Check with your landlord to see if you have an option to cancel.

I called the real estate agent. Probably won't hear back til tomorrow but I'm hoping he doesn't try to screw me. He had another guy lined up to start in August who wouldn't commit for July and I decided to commit for July so it should be as simple as telling that guy he can start in July and I'll pay the first month or whatever. But I guess I need to figure that out before I proceed.

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Thu May 24, 2012 6:58 pm

PM me your Dad's phone number, I'll talk some sense in to him.

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Thu May 24, 2012 7:01 pm

And Property 101 - you are only liable for the amount of money the landlord loses, and he has to make reasonably diligent efforts to rent out the property after you get out of the lease. Sounds like he will rent it pretty soon / will have no excuse for not renting it out soon.

Enjoy the above nugget of above free legal advice from an unemployed recent grad.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Thu May 24, 2012 7:04 pm

Dude, you got into NW. Reflect on that for a bit and then sweat the small shit tomorrow.

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Thu May 24, 2012 7:05 pm

Total Litigator wrote:And Property 101 - you are only liable for the amount of money the landlord loses, and he has to make reasonably diligent efforts to rent out the property after you get out of the lease. Sounds like he will rent it pretty soon / will have no excuse for not renting it out soon.

Enjoy the above nugget of above free legal advice from an unemployed recent grad.

LOL... my first approach will be honest and kind. I really honestly had no idea I'd get into Northwestern. I considered the chances microscopic with my GPA.

If that doesn't work, I probably will throw some comments like that at him. I think it'd be smart business to take my security deposit and move on and lease the place out to the several other people who were interested.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”