Need advice

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Augusta

Need advice

Postby Augusta » Tue May 22, 2012 4:19 pm

Will working a year after high school at a minimum wage job and then starting college at a two year institution before transferring hurt my chances at gaining admission into a high ranked law school provided I do well academically? Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Augusta on Tue May 22, 2012 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Re: Need advice

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue May 22, 2012 4:19 pm

No.

Augusta

Postby Augusta » Tue May 22, 2012 4:33 pm

So there isn’t any chance of the purely numbers based law school admissions culture suddenly changing on me, right? I mean, I don’t want to come back here in a few years and be told “whoops, now law schools care about undergrad rigor and how much you challenged yourself academically the past four years.” I will not be happy if that happens. :roll:

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue May 22, 2012 4:36 pm

Augusta wrote:So there isn’t any chance of the purely numbers based law school admissions culture suddenly changing on me, right? I mean, I don’t want to come back here in a few years and be told “whoops, now law schools care about undergrad rigor and how much you challenged yourself academically the past four years.” I will not be happy if that happens. :roll:
:? Nothing's sure except death and taxes.

JaLeCa

Postby JaLeCa » Tue May 22, 2012 4:38 pm

I tell people that starting at two-year colleges makes economical sense. I probably would do it if I could all over again.

Augusta

Postby Augusta » Tue May 22, 2012 4:45 pm

JaLeCa wrote:I tell people that starting at two-year colleges makes economical sense. I probably would do it if I could all over again.

I’m not going there for financial reasons, my parents will pay regardless of where I go, but because I read on here that the golden road to law school starts at whatever place gives out A’s most easily. And I thought to myself, will I have an easier time earning A’s at the two year competing against drug addicts and Bosnian refugees, or at the local flagship against hordes of Chinese born and bred to study all day? I know I’ll eventually have to transfer there, but at least I’ll have two solid years of A’s to cushion myself and upper level classes in my major are going to be a bit easier anyway because they don’t try to weed people out.

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue May 22, 2012 4:57 pm

Attending CC and working minimum wage wont mess up your app. Some students from CC end up at Yale.

Be careful joking about race. Anonymous message boards are not that anonymous.
Last edited by Nova on Tue May 22, 2012 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Tue May 22, 2012 4:58 pm

flem wrote:You're a gunner before starting undergrad, and that's annoying.

And you're also a little bit racist, apparently.

I kind of like the kid.

he's in trouble.

Augusta

Postby Augusta » Tue May 22, 2012 5:02 pm

What’s wrong with knowing what I want to do before starting UG? It’s pretty normal nowadays. Some of my peers have committed themselves to 6 year programs in medicine; others are enrolled in a verity of vocational programs from auto mechanics to nursing. I know that I want to do law and thus am working to manipulate the system from the start…better to know early and plan accordingly than to realize late in my UG career and see how unprepared I am.

Also, I am not racist. If you’re mad about my comment about Asians studying all the time, well that’s just an observation of their culture which plenty of people have made over the years.

splitbrain

Postby splitbrain » Tue May 22, 2012 5:03 pm

"Everyone's a little bit racist"

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Tue May 22, 2012 5:07 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue May 22, 2012 5:12 pm

Well, it doesnt really matter that "Asians study all the time" because nearly all college classes dont curve you against your peers in a way that the number of As is limited. In most classes, it will be up to you to meet the criteria for the A, regardless of what your muddling peers are up to. Also, Bosnians would probably not appreciate your comments.

Last edited by Nova on Tue May 22, 2012 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

downing

Postby downing » Tue May 22, 2012 5:15 pm

OP: If you go a two year there's a high probability that your grades won't transfer to whatever university you end up graduating from. I guess if starting from scratch going into your third year of a university makes a strategic difference to you rather than having your grades count from the start, going to a 2 year college might be a good idea. Since most basic undergrad courses aren't curved (again this depends on where you end up at, but I think this is generally true), the "hordes of Chinese" statement does seem racist. But since you're just out of HS, it's probably a mere indicia of your age.

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue May 22, 2012 5:17 pm

downing wrote:OP: If you go a two year there's a high probability that your grades won't transfer to whatever university you end up graduating from. I guess if starting from scratch going into your third year of a university makes a strategic difference to you rather than having your grades count from the start, going to a 2 year college might be a good idea. Since most basic undergrad courses aren't curved (again this depends on where you end up at, but I think this is generally true), the "hordes of Chinese" statement does seem racist. But since you're just out of HS, it's probably a mere indicia of your age.

Well, LSAC counts CC grades toward your LSAC GPA, even though the university OP eventually graduates from will not.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue May 22, 2012 5:27 pm

How are you so sure you want to be a lawyer when you are in high school and don't seem to have worked in the law before?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue May 22, 2012 5:31 pm

flem wrote:
rad lulz wrote:How are you so sure you want to be a lawyer when you are in high school and don't seem to have worked in the law before?

What other job are you guaranteed to make six figures brah

Mottles and baubles bro

R86

Postby R86 » Tue May 22, 2012 5:42 pm

rad lulz wrote:
flem wrote:
rad lulz wrote:How are you so sure you want to be a lawyer when you are in high school and don't seem to have worked in the law before?

Mottles and baubles bro

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Tue May 22, 2012 6:01 pm

flem wrote:

Matlock was sikurr dan uh muffugger.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Tue May 22, 2012 7:11 pm

You know it's a lot easier to make A's in a 4-year college, right?

Postby 1776 » Wed May 23, 2012 12:55 pm

OP- you sound like a dick.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Wed May 23, 2012 1:04 pm

dextermorgan wrote:You know it's a lot easier to make A's in a 4-year college, right?

that's not really true. I think it depends.
My CC courses were quite a bit easier.

Augusta

Postby Augusta » Thu May 24, 2012 3:44 pm

flem wrote:
Augusta wrote:What’s wrong with knowing what I want to do before starting UG? It’s pretty normal nowadays. Some of my peers have committed themselves to 6 year programs in medicine; others are enrolled in a verity of vocational programs from auto mechanics to nursing. I know that I want to do law and thus am working to manipulate the system from the start…better to know early and plan accordingly than to realize late in my UG career and see how unprepared I am.

Also, I am not racist. If you’re mad about my comment about Asians studying all the time, well that’s just an observation of their culture which plenty of people have made over the years.

1) Since you haven't even started college yet, here's the deal: all of your pre-med bros will be doing something unrelated by the beginning of sophomore year. How do you KNOW you want to be a lawyer? What does a lawyer do? Why do you want to be a lawyer? Have you worked in a law office at all?

On point number two:

Augusta wrote:hordes of Chinese born and bred to study all day?

That sounds kind of racist, actually.

I don't need to justify the reason I want to go to law school to you. And just FYI, yes I have worked at a law office and done mock trial and all that jazz. Why don’t you share your reasons for wanting to go, and please save me the nonsense about having an intellectual interest in the practice of law and all that garbage, you probably just want the social prestige and guaranteed six figures.

Also, stop bitching about my comment about the Chinese. It's true that all flagship state universties have been taken over by Asians born to tiger moms.

Augusta

Postby Augusta » Thu May 24, 2012 3:45 pm

dextermorgan wrote:You know it's a lot easier to make A's in a 4-year college, right?

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Sure it is

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Thu May 24, 2012 3:47 pm

Augusta wrote: Also, stop bitching about my comment about the Chinese. It's true that all flagship state universties have been taken over by Asians born to tiger moms.

Augusta

Postby Augusta » Thu May 24, 2012 3:50 pm

Law fits me because I have a high verbal intelligence.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”