Recycling Letter of Recommendation

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Recycling Letter of Recommendation

Postby VREBEL » Tue May 22, 2012 3:01 pm

I did horrible on the February LSAT and did not get into the University of Denver! I plan to retake the LSAT in October and re apply for the part time program in Fall 2013 ugh. Can I use the letters of recommendation and transcripts that have already been submitting to LSAC (in February 2012) again? I plan to submit my application materials for Fall 2013 in October 2012. I would like to just write a new personal statement, essay for the Chancellors Scholarship and revise my resume. I do not want to have to ask for additional letters.

Re: Recycling Letter of Recommendation

Postby BVest » Tue May 22, 2012 3:37 pm

From the horse's mouth (one horse, anyway -- Dean Perez @ Texas Tech):

SPerez wrote:
cdj588 wrote:I was wondering: 1) if it matters how old letters of recommendation are 2) if yall can see when the letters were submitted 3) if it matters when they were submitted?

I ask, because I planned to attend law school this coming fall, but life got in the way (long story short). However, in preparation for going to law school this coming fall I had already knocked out the letter of recommendation part of my credentials. So, by the time I apply my letters of recommendation will be at least a year old maybe even a year and a few months.

I'd say the answer is "Not really", up to a point. Most recommenders use typical business letter formats and put the date at the top of the letter so we usually do know when they wrote it. One year or one cycle isn't, in my mind at least, something that would raise an eyebrow when I review a file.

When I start to have questions is when letters are several years old (2+) and/or there are no new letters, especially when it's someone that has previously applied and been denied. It shows that the applicant didn't take the time to get a more recent letter (or couldn't find someone willing to write one), making me question how serious they are about wanting to go to law school.

And since we're talking about LORs, I'll repeat my general advice:

I see these as obvious, but until I have a year in which I receive none of them I will have to continue spread the word. I'd be happy to explain my reasons in more detail if anyone wants.

ETA: your LSDAS reporting service account is good for several years (I forget exactly how many) so all that stuff can remain. Obviously you need to update any transcripts that have changed (if you were in school this year or over the summer). But as Dean Perez says, it's probably good to get at least one new LOR.

Postby zafria_67 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:48 am

Postby Redamon1 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:09 am

Postby JDizzle2015 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:19 pm

You should always check with the schools you're applying to directly. Denver's website doesn't mention that you need new LORs (I think it'd make sense to call and confirm) but they do want an updated personal statement. There are some law schools that require new LORs for re-applicants.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”