8 year gap & better GPA for last 60 hours = addendum?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
onewhiteword

8 year gap & better GPA for last 60 hours = addendum?

Postby onewhiteword » Mon May 21, 2012 9:51 pm

I completed about 60 hours from 2000-2003 and will have completed the other 60 hours from Spring 2011 to Fall 2012.

My GPA for the first 60 was 3.15, my cumulative GPA is 3.45. (3.9 GPA in the last 4 semesters) Changed my major from business to philosphy upon re-enrollement if that matters. I think my better grades were due to being more interested in the material, paying for classes, and being older (28 instead of 20)

Should I add an addendum explaining the gap in time for my undergrad and highlight the last 60 hours @ 3.9 GPA?

I've seen where immaturity/lack of focus isn't fair game for an addendum, but time gaps are. I wonder if my situation could be improved by highlighting my recent achievements.
Thanks

Re: 8 year gap & better GPA for last 60 hours = addendum?

Postby 727813 » Tue May 22, 2012 11:47 am

I went to LS Forum and a lady from UPenn talked about this. She said that they look at trends in coursework, major changes, etc. All of the things you mentioned they will look at on their own. If you want to point it out in an addendum, I don't know how much good that will do unless you discuss what you did in the time off. However, I would assume if it's work, they would see that in your resume. But if you have a great explanation, you can address that. HTH.

onewhiteword

Postby onewhiteword » Tue May 22, 2012 12:09 pm

Thanks, it does help

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue May 22, 2012 6:25 pm

The admissions people at schools say that they look at everything, everything is important, and everything has equal weight. Only 1.5 of those are fully true.

I would definitely write the addendum. You want to make sure that the admissions offices are aware of this trend. Additionally, you want to explain that wide gap in your education career. Whether you do it in a personal statement or an additional essay doesn't matter; what does matter is that you highlight it and talk me through it. You don't want to leave it up to someone else to divine a trend in your grades, and you don't want to leave it up to the imagination to fill in that 8 year gap.

BVest

Postby BVest » Tue May 22, 2012 6:54 pm

Write the addendum. Work "3.9" into the addendum several times. If it fits with your Personal Statement ("...and that's what gave me focus in life, and subsequently the drive to achieve a 3.9 when I returned to school after 8 years" or similar) do so. Make sure they think of you and they think 3.9, not the 3.67 that's on your LSDAS report.

If they're from different schools, that also gives you an opportunity to put it on your resume:

Vine Covered University -- 2011-2012 -- Bachelor of Business Administration -- 3.9 GPA
Enormous State University -- 1999-2001 -- Attended with major in Philosophy -- 3.45 GPA

You could probably even break it out that way even if it is the same school.

onewhiteword

Postby onewhiteword » Tue May 22, 2012 9:49 pm

BVest wrote:Write the addendum. Work "3.9" into the addendum several times. If it fits with your Personal Statement ("...and that's what gave me focus in life, and subsequently the drive to achieve a 3.9 when I returned to school after 8 years" or similar) do so. Make sure they think of you and they think 3.9, not the 3.67 that's on your LSDAS report.

If they're from different schools, that also gives you an opportunity to put it on your resume:

Vine Covered University -- 2011-2012 -- Bachelor of Business Administration -- 3.9 GPA
Enormous State University -- 1999-2001 -- Attended with major in Philosophy -- 3.45 GPA

You could probably even break it out that way even if it is the same school.

That sounds really good, might help!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”