Study Abroad Addendum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
anellis

Study Abroad Addendum

Postby anellis » Sun May 20, 2012 10:55 am

I studied abroad during my junior year and received less than stellar grades. It looks like from what I've seen in other forums that lsac won't ask for the transcript and neither will most other schools, but Columbia will. Since they're my top choice this presents a bit of a problem for me. Should I include an addendum to explain the grades or do you think calling attention to it in that way is a bad idea? Are they even really going to look at it?

ilovesf

Re: Study Abroad Addendum

Postby ilovesf » Sun May 20, 2012 11:09 am

anellis wrote:I studied abroad during my junior year and received less than stellar grades. It looks like from what I've seen in other forums that lsac won't ask for the transcript and neither will most other schools, but Columbia will. Since they're my top choice this presents a bit of a problem for me. Should I include an addendum to explain the grades or do you think calling attention to it in that way is a bad idea? Are they even really going to look at it?

Is there a real reason your grades dropped? Generally it's "I was in a country where the drinking age was 18 and basically didn't exist. I was too busy day drinking and traveling to open a book."

oaken

Postby oaken » Sun May 20, 2012 12:06 pm

anellis wrote:I studied abroad during my junior year and received less than stellar grades. It looks like from what I've seen in other forums that lsac won't ask for the transcript and neither will most other schools, but Columbia will. Since they're my top choice this presents a bit of a problem for me. Should I include an addendum to explain the grades or do you think calling attention to it in that way is a bad idea? Are they even really going to look at it?

I'm not sure how your study abroad program worked, but when I did it, it was through another college, and then the grades transferred to my actual university's transcript. Because of that, when I sent in my transcript from my actual university to the LSAC, they specifically sent a request to me for the study abroad college's transcript, and I had to submit both. This, again, was to the LSAC, not any particular school.

Not sure if this helps at all, but that was my experience.

anellis

Postby anellis » Mon May 21, 2012 11:26 am

The actual reason was that I did not understand the grading requirements in the host country. For example, I took a final exam in one class, answered all the questions correctly, and then received a C because my "answers were really short." My grades were better than they've ever been after I got back though, so I thought I could write a nice addendum about how the experience taught me how important it was to go beyond just looking for the right answer, strive to be thorough, go beyond expectations, etc.

Also, my grades are not on my school's transcript, just a "pass," and after looking at several forums it seems that if you studied abroad for less than a year and/or your grades did not transfer back to your institution, LSAT doesn't need them.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Mon May 21, 2012 11:30 am

anellis wrote:The actual reason was that I did not understand the grading requirements in the host country. For example, I took a final exam in one class, answered all the questions correctly, and then received a C because my "answers were really short." My grades were better than they've ever been after I got back though, so I thought I could write a nice addendum about how the experience taught me how important it was to go beyond just looking for the right answer, strive to be thorough, go beyond expectations, etc.

Also, my grades are not on my school's transcript, just a "pass," and after looking at several forums it seems that if you studied abroad for less than a year and/or your grades did not transfer back to your institution, LSAT doesn't need them.

Is this for real? You are going to write an addendum explaining away a bad grade on an exam and what the experience taught you about writing longer answers? And in any event these are not qualities you learned until midway through college? You did not learn them for yourself a long time ago? Please do not do any of this.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Mon May 21, 2012 11:35 am

anellis wrote:The actual reason was that I did not understand the grading requirements in the host country. For example, I took a final exam in one class, answered all the questions correctly, and then received a C because my "answers were really short." My grades were better than they've ever been after I got back though, so I thought I could write a nice addendum about how the experience taught me how important it was to go beyond just looking for the right answer, strive to be thorough, go beyond expectations, etc.

Kind of a shitty excuse, imo. As a student if you aren't sure how your professor grades, you should try to find out. This is particularly important for succeeding in law school. I studied abroad and my grades weren't reported to LSAC. I actively tried to have them added because I got all A's, but LSAC wouldn't add them. I wouldn't worry about it.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Mon May 21, 2012 11:49 am

I wouldn't write one just because that is a lame reason for bad grades. I sympathize with you, however, about shitty travel abroad grades bringing down your GPA. The screwy British system presented me with straight B's (I still don't quite understand their grading system, but I know few students get A's). This wouldn't normally be a huge problem, but since my university only let me take three classes while abroad, they counted each as 6 credit hours...double the usual amount. So instead of getting 3 B's, I essentially got 6.

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Mon May 21, 2012 11:54 am

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”