I don't really understand waitlists

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jonjon1324

I don't really understand waitlists

Postby jonjon1324 » Sun May 20, 2012 1:05 am

I guess up to now I had thought of waitlists as a more soft rejection, but maybe I don't understand them too well. What are the chances of getting off a waitlist, and what can be done to improve those chances? Should you be happy to be on a waitlist of a really good school?

blurbz

Re: I don't really understand waitlists

Postby blurbz » Sun May 20, 2012 1:23 am

It depends on the school. Schools don't have a reason to give "soft rejections"....that's not a real thing. If they want to reject an applicant, they will reject the applicant outright. Waitlists exist so they can finesse the class late in the game. If you offer something they think will be helpful to their goals but not quite enough to merit outright acceptance, they'll hold onto you until you are either desired (acceptance) or its clear that they don't need whatever quality they saw in you (rejection).

tl;dr: If you want to go to a school, you should be happier to be on the waitlist than to be rejected.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Sun May 20, 2012 1:26 am

Well its like a list, but you have to wait.

shintopig

Postby shintopig » Sun May 20, 2012 1:48 am

jonjon1324 wrote:I guess up to now I had thought of waitlists as a more soft rejection, but maybe I don't understand them too well. What are the chances of getting off a waitlist, and what can be done to improve those chances? Should you be happy to be on a waitlist of a really good school?

Almost all schools suggest sending in the LOCI (Letter of Continued Interest) to express how you are interested in that school over any others. Its a nice personal letter that I hope would help an applicant stand out. For undergrad seniors its also an opportunity to send in/explain your last semester's grades and hopefully say "hey; look how well I did" as your they won't get your last grades in your LSAC packet. So do that.

I got waitlisted at a bunch of schools because I applied in Late February/Early March, aka. after most classes had filled up 85%. I had more than the numbers for those schools, and so late in the game they couldn't reject me because I was definately good enough so they waitlisted me. So that is one thing that I think admissions comittees do.

I've heard something like what you were saying about a "soft rejection". Say that a academically-poor legacy student from one college gets in but they "reject" another much better non-legacy student from the same school; they'll waitlist him indefinatley instead. Or a mediocre student applied who is recommended by a professor at the law school; they may waitlist him/her as well. My favorite I've heard is the "unstable" applicant who has the numbers but has some personal problems. These are all rumors though, I'm not really sure; so take with a grain of salt.

I was pretty happy/surprised to get some of my waitlists, but I mean its May now and I'm still waitlisted on many schools and I'm already making other plans. So its a bittersweet happiness. I wrote all my LOCI and have my fingers crossed, but I can't put my life on hold.

And the probability is completely relative on your numbers, how many apps they have, if they rank the waitlist, if the know you're interested, if you did well your last semester, if you report anything new & positive, if you get any new LORs or something to etc. All that can change your probability I'd think.

tyro

Postby tyro » Sun May 20, 2012 1:51 am

blurbz wrote:It depends on the school.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun May 20, 2012 8:35 am

Although waitlists are often used as a soft rejection for college and university undergraduate admissions, law school waitlists are essentially "we like you & your qualifications, but are full at this time".

Incubateus

Postby Incubateus » Sun May 20, 2012 9:50 am

waitlists are like handjobs

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”