Admissions Chances for International Student Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
laura2011

New

Admissions Chances for International Student

Post by laura2011 » Sat May 19, 2012 3:01 pm

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone has experience with applying as an international student? What are admissions chances for top 14-20 schools with LSAT 166 (though retaking and hopefully getting average up to 168/169)?

Don't really have a GPA but an upper first class BSc Economics and Politics from the University of London. From what I've read so far, that could be anything from a 3.6 to a 3.8 GPA ...

Also, if anyone has any experience with Masters in IR, Foreign Service etc that would be much appreciated as I want to apply for a dual degree.

Thanks a lot for your comments!

Nova

Platinum

Re: Admissions Chances for International Student

Post by Nova » Sat May 19, 2012 3:14 pm

The difference between 3.6 and 3.8 is enormous. It's the difference between above the median and below the median at many T20s. 166 is below the median at all T20s.... Being below both medians, in general, means you dont have a good chance.

With your current numbers, you can not expect to cakewalk into a TLS. Hopefully your gpa translates closer to 3.8 than 3.6. Apply across the board and youll probably get some acceptances. Good luck on the LSAT!!!

Go here, Lawschoolnumbers.com

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sat May 19, 2012 3:16 pm

The admissions cycle of an international student is unpredictable, but your LSAT score is a major factor - if you're below the 25th percentile, it'll be very difficult.

For practical purposes, a First degree is roughly 3.7+, or so, while a Third is below 3.00, but while your grades should be commensurate with the schools you're targeting, they are not as big a factor as they would be for American degrees.

With an LSAT of 166, it might be possible to get into some of the lower T14, but you really need to retake and get a higher score.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sat May 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Nova wrote:The difference between 3.6 and 3.8 is enormous. It's the difference between above the median and below the median at many T20s. 166 is below the median at all T20s.... Being below both medians, in general, means you dont have a good chance.

With your current numbers, you can not expect to cakewalk into a TLS. Hopefully your gpa translates closer to 3.8 than 3.6. Apply across the board and youll probably get some acceptances. Good luck on the LSAT!!!

Wrong for one simple reason - foreign degrees do not get converted into a GPA. Grades have a lot less relevance.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sat May 19, 2012 3:22 pm

dingbat wrote:
Nova wrote:The difference between 3.6 and 3.8 is enormous. It's the difference between above the median and below the median at many T20s. 166 is below the median at all T20s.... Being below both medians, in general, means you dont have a good chance.

Wrong for one simple reason - foreign degrees do not get converted into a GPA. Grades have a lot less relevance.
Was not aware of that. Thanks.

Still, 166 likely wont get it done. Hitting median or above would up OPs chances dramatically.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

laura2011

New

Post by laura2011 » Sat May 19, 2012 3:26 pm

Hi guys and thanks a lot for the comments!

It's really annoying that there is no straight GPA conversion. In my class (about 150 students) I'm easily in the top 5% if not even 1% and I'll get my recommenders to say so. But I'm aware that the LSAT is a major obstacle - absolutely have to retake in June! My target school is GW right now, though obviously sth higher up would be sweet ...

anyway, thanks again for commenting!

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sat May 19, 2012 3:27 pm

Nova wrote:
dingbat wrote:

Was not aware of that. Thanks.

Still, 166 likely wont get it done. Hitting median or above would up OPs chances dramatically.
Glad I could educate.
Basically, an LSAT below the 25th percentile is highly unlikely to suffice. Anything below median is a crap shoot.

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Sat May 19, 2012 8:08 pm

dingbat wrote:Basically, an LSAT below the 25th percentile is highly unlikely to suffice. Anything below median is a crap shoot
+ 1

I'm an international student and applied to schools this year. Because we don't have GPAs, the LSAT matters more for us. Unfortunately, internationals seldom get accepted with below-median LSAT scores (although there is a chance that might change next cycle if application numbers keep declining).

Also, I hope you're aware that, because of an incredible over-supply of JDs in the US and a substantial decrease in the number of jobs available, it can be very hard to get a good job from a school like GWU - especially if you're international (it means extra paperwork and fees for any potential employer). You should aim higher - at least one of the top 14 schools. Hopefully you're studying heavily for the LSAT - I spent 2 months studying part-time, followed by 3 months studying full-time, and I was still improving at the end. With a 170+ you would be in a much, much better situation.

Feel free to PM me if you want more specifics.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”