. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tigyrgrl

New

Post by tigyrgrl » Fri May 18, 2012 11:22 am

Last edited by tigyrgrl on Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: Letters of Recommedation from Boss

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri May 18, 2012 11:25 am

Whoever will write the most specific, detailed and glowing LOR. If the partners don't really know you/your work well enough to write anything except a generic letter, use your supervisor. If they do know you well, a senior partner that went to the school is ideal.

Do get at least one academic letter.

Some schools will accept 3 letters, so you might as well get 1 academic, 1 from your boss, and 1 from a partner. But if they all are pretty generic, then a 3rd letter won't really do much for you.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Fri May 18, 2012 11:25 am

tigyrgrl wrote:I work full time as a paralegal while I am finishing up UG. The firm I work for is rather diverse, and the attorneys are very supportive of my desire to go to law school. My direct supervisor graduated from an out of state law school while several of the senior partners graduated from the flagship school of the state. All have offered to write LOR when I am ready. Which would be most beneficial as I am only going to be applying to in state schools? I live in NC so I have several to choose from.
The person who you work with most and knows you best (and therefore can say the most about you albeit positively). Also make sure one of your recs is from a professor.

BearState

Bronze

Post by BearState » Fri May 18, 2012 11:27 am

Whichever can directly comment on the quality of your work and your suitability for law. Sounds like your supervisor. Adcoms probably won't be impressed by a letter by a big partner that has never seen your work.

One from an employer is fine. Try to make sure you have at least two from professors.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”