LOR from Alumni for LS application

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

LOR from Alumni for LS application

Postby 727813 » Fri May 18, 2012 6:40 am

I had an interesting conversation with a LS student. He told me that for the "best" schools, a LOR from an alumn is great to add to your application package. Mind you, he is at a T6. With that, I have a few questions:

1. Is this an actual practice?

2. Do you start researching alumni and asking around (networking)?

3. Do you only do this after you've hit the waitlist or held status?

I know that they say to get an in-depth letter from someone who knows you well enough to speak to your academic ability. Now I will assume that graduates of a top LS are busy and not going to write it themselves. You might be told to "draft" a letter and send it in to be looked over. Granted, I know that's not what is supposed to happen, but I am getting a sense that it does -- often.

My friend works as an assistant for a mid-level associate who gets asked for LORs often enough each cycle because of the particular school that he went to. After a screening of resume/GPA/LSAT, some are considered for a LOR, which he does not draft "from scratch," so to speak.

Does anyone know how this process goes? Please no response about just ask your professor, boss, etc. And yes, I know that LORs play a small role that don't overcome numbers; I get that. I already have my LORs, but this new tidbit brought up a new perspective. That's all.

My apologies if there is already a thread...I searched and found nothing helpful.

Re: LOR from Alumni for LS application

Postby howlery » Sat May 19, 2012 1:28 am

Last edited by howlery on Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: LOR from Alumni for LS application

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat May 19, 2012 1:30 am

If the person doesn't know you, the letter will be useless. If one of your professors or a supervisor is an alumni and can write a good LOR for you, that's great. But don't just go find some rando alum to write a generic LOR for a stranger.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”