Non-trad first timer and have questions!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lthomas

Non-trad first timer and have questions!

Postby lthomas » Wed May 16, 2012 3:26 pm

First, at 44 years of age, I finally finished undergrad and am looking to take the LSAT in either October or February. I will be an empty- nester by this fall as my daughter is graduating high school and moving down her own path. Bluntly asking, Is my age a problem for discrimination in getting into a law school?
Secondly, my GPA was 3.2 due to a fail in algebra and one really bad semester after I re-married due to the stepkids being a problem, although the last two semesters I made the deans list. From what I have been reading, GPA is somewhat less important than the LSAT score. Is my GPA going to hurt my chances for law school?
Another concern I have is 3 and 4 tier schools. Can you find work in international NGO's after attending these schools? Is there a bias among different fields in law where I need to be careful of what school I would like to attend? I ask because I am not sure what field of law I am particularly wanting to have as a career and do not want to paint myself in a corner of a particular practice.

Any advice would be great!

Nova

Re: Non-trad first timer and have questions!

Postby Nova » Wed May 16, 2012 3:34 pm

1. Dont take Feb unless you are willing to wait till 2014. Take Oct or Dec for 2013.

2. Your age will not hurt you regarding admissions. You probably need to kill the LSAT though- atleast above the median LSAT for your target schools. What concerns me the most about your situation is that taking out 100k+ of loans at your age is probably not a good idea. You may have to go to a lower ranked school with a scholarship instead of the best school you get in to at sticker so that the loans wont crush you.

3. TTTs have worse employment prospects across the board. Many grads end up making between 30k and 60k starting out. Many grads do not even land legal jobs. Go to LST (Law school Transperancy) for detailed employment info.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Wed May 16, 2012 3:35 pm

Your age should not be a problem.
You need to balance out your GPA with a strong LSAT score.
In this economy, Tier 3 and 4 schools are a very risky proposition.
My 2 cents.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Wed May 16, 2012 3:56 pm

lthomas wrote:First, at 44 years of age, I finally finished undergrad and am looking to take the LSAT in either October or February. I will be an empty- nester by this fall as my daughter is graduating high school and moving down her own path. Bluntly asking, Is my age a problem for discrimination in getting into a law school?
Secondly, my GPA was 3.2 due to a fail in algebra and one really bad semester after I re-married due to the stepkids being a problem, although the last two semesters I made the deans list. From what I have been reading, GPA is somewhat less important than the LSAT score. Is my GPA going to hurt my chances for law school?
Another concern I have is 3 and 4 tier schools. Can you find work in international NGO's after attending these schools? Is there a bias among different fields in law where I need to be careful of what school I would like to attend? I ask because I am not sure what field of law I am particularly wanting to have as a career and do not want to paint myself in a corner of a particular practice.

Short answers, nope, nope, and nope......

Before I start on the longer version welcome to the old men that want to go to law school club..... Actually, you are a few years my junior so I won't call ya old.......

Age won't matter to any schools anywhere that I know of. As a matter of fact it could really help as it certainly distinguishes you from the field. Now, getting a job after LS, I will let ya know in a couple years from personal experience but I have heard there are those that will discriminate and others that actually want you because of the age and life experiences.....

Second question on the 3.2. Kill the LSAT, BTW, these kids on here study like its a full time job for months and months..... I did not and kind of tanked part of it. With a REALLY good LSAT you could get into any number of "splitter" friendly schools. (You would be a splitter at that point.) The GPA will keep you out of more than a few schools but won't keep you out of all of the T-14......

Third question. Let me tell you for the record that this site has been a SERIOUS educational experience for me this cycle. Getting hired as a new attorney is FAR more than simply getting the degree and passing the BAR.... It has to do with your class placement which should be obvious. What is not so obvious until you get into it is how important school choice is. The top schools (T-14 ) are for the most part national schools and can get you a job anywhere and you can get a job with MUCH lower class placement. Beyond them there are a handful or so of pseudo national schools that have VERY good regional and some national reach. (Think Vandy, Texas, UCLA, WUSTL and probably a few more....) So, beyond that rank matters very little but the reputation of the school within the Market it feeds matters a LOT! Rutgers Newark will get you a job in New Jersey WAY faster than a degree from St Johns, which is rated higher BUT is way down towards the bottom of a long list of schools in NYC..... Ole Miss is definitively TTT but if you want to work in Jackson MS as that is where you grew up it is a GREAT choice. Mississippi College in Jackson on the other hand is NEVER a good choice and I wouldn't go there for free.... (It is all about job placement and where you want that job to be and in parochial markets it will hurt you if you don't have ties as well.....) Ties - something that will connect you to the local community. You grew up there, your wife is from there, you lived there for five years as an adult and there are more. If you don't think this matters imagine if you will a guy with a Brooklyn accent applying at a DAs office in Dothan Alabama. He better have some GOOD credentials to overcome the inherent bias he will find down there.... So, in summation here, the law school you choose to attend is critical for your chance at a future job....

Now for a touch of good news. Your softs (Things besides the GPA and LSAT) can matter more than someone straight out of UG. You cannot count on it as most schools will judge you on GPA and LSAT scores but you may have something that someone on an admissions committee thinks would be good for the student mix at their school. My LSAT score was in the bottom 1% or so at the school I am attending in the fall and my GPA is right at the 25% area so I got in on softs, period..... You can't count on that though as I was also waitlisted at a school where my numbers alone should have got me in.....

There is a nontraditional thread on here somewhere, I will find it and link it back to you.....

Welcome,

JC
Last edited by JCFindley on Wed May 16, 2012 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lthomas

Postby lthomas » Wed May 16, 2012 3:58 pm

Nova wrote:1. Dont take Feb unless you are willing to wait till 2014. Take Oct or Dec for 2013.

2. Your age will not hurt you regarding admissions. You probably need to kill the LSAT though- atleast above the median LSAT for your target schools. What concerns me the most about your situation is that taking out 100k+ of loans at your age is probably not a good idea. You may have to go to a lower ranked school with a scholarship instead of the best school you get in to at sticker so that the loans wont crush you.

3. TTTs have worse employment prospects across the board. Many grads end up making between 30k and 60k starting out. Many grads do not even land legal jobs. Go to LST (Law school Transperancy) for detailed employment info.

I didn't know there was a Dec. LSAT- that would be perfect, thanks!
I figure with the private school loans I already have, it is time to go for a big career to help pay them down, otherwise with just the bachelor's I will be as broke as I was before school while bartending!
So
Tier 3 (TTT,s) are not the way to go- I will look at Law school Transparency- thanks!

lthomas

Postby lthomas » Wed May 16, 2012 4:04 pm

JCFindley wrote:
lthomas wrote:First, at 44 years of age, I finally finished undergrad and am looking to take the LSAT in either October or February. I will be an empty- nester by this fall as my daughter is graduating high school and moving down her own path. Bluntly asking, Is my age a problem for discrimination in getting into a law school?

Before I start on the longer version welcome to the old men that want to go to law school club..... Actually, you are a few years my junior so I won't call ya old.......

Age won't matter to any schools anywhere that I know of. As a matter of fact it could really help as it certainly distinguishes you from the field. Now, getting a job after LS, I will let ya know in a couple years from personal experience but I have heard there are those that will discriminate and others that actually want you because of the age and life experiences.....

Second question on the 3.2. Kill the LSAT, BTW, these kids on here study like its a full time job for months and months..... I did not and kind of tanked part of it. With a REALLY good LSAT you could get into any number of "splitter" friendly schools. (You would be a splitter at that point.) The GPA will keep you out of more than a few schools but won't keep you out of all of the T-14......

Third question. Let me tell you for the record that this site has been a SERIOUS educational experience for me this cycle. Getting hired as a new attorney is FAR more than simply getting the degree and passing the BAR.... It has to do with your class placement which should be obvious. What is not so obvious until you get into it is how important school choice is. The top schools (T-14 ) are for the most part national schools and can get you a job anywhere and you can get a job with MUCH lower class placement. Beyond them there are a handful or so of pseudo national schools that have VERY good regional and some national reach. (Think Vandy, Texas, UCLA, WUSTL and probably a few more....) So, beyond that rank matters very little but the reputation of the school within the Market it feeds matters a LOT! Rutgers Newark will get you a job in New Jersey WAY faster than a degree from St Johns, which is rated higher BUT is way down towards the bottom of a long list of schools in NYC..... Ole Miss is definitively TTT but if you want to work in Jackson MS as that is where you grew up it is a GREAT choice. Mississippi College in Jackson on the other hand is NEVER a good choice and I wouldn't go there for free.... (It is all about job placement and where you want that job to be and in parochial markets it will hurt you if you don't have ties as well.....) Ties - something that will connect you to the local community. You grew up there, your wife is from there, you lived there for five years as an adult and there are more. If you don't think this matters imagine if you will a guy with a Brooklyn accent applying at a DAs office in Dothan Alabama. He better have some GOOD credentials to overcome the inherent bias he will find down there.... So, in summation here, the law school you choose to attend is critical for your chance at a future job....

Now for a touch of good news. Your softs (Things besides the GPA and LSAT) can matter more than someone straight out of UG. You cannot count on it as most schools will judge you on GPA and LSAT scores but you may have something that someone on an admissions committee things would be good for the student mix at their school. My LSAT score was in the bottom 1% or so at the school I am attending in the fall and my GPA is right at the 25% area so I got in on softs, period..... You can't count on that though as I was also waitlisted at a school where my numbers alone should have got me in.....

There is a nontraditional thread on here somewhere, I will find it and link it back to you.....

Welcome,

JC

Wow, thanks! I guess I had better kill the LSAT for a good chance at a good school! BTW, what is the list of T 14 schools, is that the top 100 ranked?

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Wed May 16, 2012 4:10 pm

lthomas wrote:
JCFindley wrote:

Now for a touch of good news. Your softs (Things besides the GPA and LSAT) can matter more than someone straight out of UG. You cannot count on it as most schools will judge you on GPA and LSAT scores but you may have something that someone on an admissions committee things would be good for the student mix at their school. My LSAT score was in the bottom 1% or so at the school I am attending in the fall and my GPA is right at the 25% area so I got in on softs, period..... You can't count on that though as I was also waitlisted at a school where my numbers alone should have got me in.....

Welcome,

JC

Wow, thanks! I guess I had better kill the LSAT for a good chance at a good school! BTW, what is the list of T 14 schools, is that the top 100 ranked?

T-14 is the top 14 schools..... If you click on the "law schools" tab at the top of this page it will lead you to a page where you can click on the top 100......

Oct or Dec is much better for getting you into schools with money but FWIW I took the Feb LSAT, ignored the advice on here that it was too late to apply, and got into my top two choices.... I am also using the military to pay for school though so I didn't care about scholarships......

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Wed May 16, 2012 4:11 pm

lthomas wrote:I figure with the private school loans I already have, it is time to go for a big career to help pay them down, otherwise with just the bachelor's I will be as broke as I was before school while bartending!

Careful with this, no guarantee of a huge job. Especially since at graduation you'll be close to 50 and big law firms will be a bit leery about hiring someone who may only work for ten to fifteen years. Not to mention getting a big law job is hard enough.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Wed May 16, 2012 4:14 pm

Icculus wrote:
lthomas wrote:I figure with the private school loans I already have, it is time to go for a big career to help pay them down, otherwise with just the bachelor's I will be as broke as I was before school while bartending!

Careful with this, no guarantee of a huge job. Especially since at graduation you'll be close to 50 and big law firms will be a bit leery about hiring someone who may only work for ten to fifteen years. Not to mention getting a big law job is hard enough.

Mind you, firms will not be allowed to ask his age when he is going through OCI.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Wed May 16, 2012 4:17 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
Icculus wrote:

Mind you, firms will not be allowed to ask his age when he is going through OCI.

They can figure it out via your resume though......

lthomas

Postby lthomas » Wed May 16, 2012 4:19 pm

Icculus wrote:

I see your point. Is the market saturated with attorney's at this point?

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed May 16, 2012 4:25 pm

lthomas wrote:
Icculus wrote:

YES. Roughly 25,000 jobs for 45,000 grads. Also, many of those jobs suck.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Wed May 16, 2012 4:31 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
Icculus wrote:

This is true, and I have not yet gone through OCI, but my guess is an interviewer will be able to figure out around how old he is. Though the bigger issue is not just his age, but making sure he gets that big career. I mean we all know big law is hard enough to get, he would need good grades at a top school or insanely good grades at something lower just to have a shot. He needs to weigh the risk reward of being 47/48 and possibly being in 100+K of debt with less time to pay it off than most. Even if he went into PI he would be responsible for the taxes once it's forgiven. I just want him to be aware of many of the things I wasn't until I found TLS.

lthomas

Postby lthomas » Wed May 16, 2012 4:32 pm

Nova wrote:
lthomas wrote:
Icculus wrote:

YES. Roughly 25,000 jobs for 45,000 grads. Also, many of those jobs suck.

So grad school might net me a better chance to have a serious career, rather than law school? I have my bachelor's in political science with a biology minor and was leaning towards a law degree in which I could garner a job with an entity like Conservation International, where I am able to travel or with some other group that deals with indegnious land rights as it relates to parks and reserves in other countries. But from what I am gathering, unless I get into a T-14, my chances are slim.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Wed May 16, 2012 5:07 pm

lthomas wrote:I have my bachelor's in political science with a biology minor and was leaning towards a law degree in which I could garner a job with an entity like Conservation International, where I am able to travel or with some other group that deals with indegnious land rights as it relates to parks and reserves in other countries. But from what I am gathering, unless I get into a T-14, my chances are slim.

Even if you get into the t14, your chance of getting one of those jobs is slim - unless you have work experience that directly and substantially relates to what they do. Interesting public interest jobs that pay money are harder to get than big law jobs, and interesting public interest jobs that pay monry and allow you to travel overseas will be harder to get still.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed May 16, 2012 5:11 pm

Icculus wrote:Even if he went into PI he would be responsible for the taxes once it's forgiven.
Just wanted to correct this: the 10-year PSLF PI forgiveness program does forgive the taxes.

It's the 25-year IBR non-PI program that hits you with the massive tax bomb at forgiveness time.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Wed May 16, 2012 7:21 pm

lthomas wrote:
Icculus wrote:

Being our age and incurring that level of debt scares me a LOT. I am using military benefits to pay for school but I only applied for schools that would be covered 100% as I just don't have the career time left in me to pay off massive loans....

That doesn't mean you can't go to LS without incurring massive debt, it simply means you will have to rely on scholarships or need based aid. That may mean that a lower T1 or even a TT or TTT with money may be a better option for you than a T-14 at sticker. Keep in mind the big advantage of the T-14 is national reach and you can be much lower within the class and still have a good shot at a job. The obvious question is where are you from? There may well be a regional school with a good reputation in your local markets where a high LSAT will get you good merit based aid. Here are just a few that I would consider if I was from and wanted to stay in the area...... Alabama, Ole Miss, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Maine, South Carolina, Utah, Oregon, Iowa, Wisconsin, Kentucky, Georgia or even Georgia State, Rutgers, Wake Forest, and really the list goes on. Some of these are tier 1 and rated pretty high while others are tier 3 but all do pretty well in their local markets. IF you can spank the LSAT and get a full ride to any of these schools and you are from the area and you want to stay there you can mitigate the risks of debt/job placement.......

JC

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Wed May 16, 2012 7:23 pm

JCFindley wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:
Icculus wrote:

Depends, duder. You just have to be crafty.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Wed May 16, 2012 7:46 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
JCFindley wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:
Icculus wrote:

Depends, duder. You just have to be crafty.

True, but 21 years as an Air Force Pilot is probably the best thing on my resume and would hate to leave that off and just list that I was waiting tables and selling my art during LS on there...... It kind of depends whether the age will hurt more than the experience helps....

lthomas

Postby lthomas » Wed May 16, 2012 7:48 pm

JCFindley wrote:
lthomas wrote:
Icculus wrote:

Being our age and incurring that level of debt scares me a LOT. I am using military benefits to pay for school but I only applied for schools that would be covered 100% as I just don't have the career time left in me to pay off massive loans....

That doesn't mean you can't go to LS without incurring massive debt, it simply means you will have to rely on scholarships or need based aid. That may mean that a lower T1 or even a TT or TTT with money may be a better option for you than a T-14 at sticker. Keep in mind the big advantage of the T-14 is national reach and you can be much lower within the class and still have a good shot at a job. The obvious question is where are you from? There may well be a regional school with a good reputation in your local markets where a high LSAT will get you good merit based aid. Here are just a few that I would consider if I was from and wanted to stay in the area...... Alabama, Ole Miss, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Maine, South Carolina, Utah, Oregon, Iowa, Wisconsin, Kentucky, Georgia or even Georgia State, Rutgers, Wake Forest, and really the list goes on. Some of these are tier 1 and rated pretty high while others are tier 3 but all do pretty well in their local markets. IF you can spank the LSAT and get a full ride to any of these schools and you are from the area and you want to stay there you can mitigate the risks of debt/job placement.......

JC

I am in Texas. I have looked at UT, but it looks like that is a no go unless I get a smoking LSAT, plus, I would prefer a school that I can get more than regional jobs out of. This is depressing.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Wed May 16, 2012 7:53 pm

JCFindley wrote:True, but 21 years as an Air Force Pilot is probably the best thing on my resume and would hate to leave that off and just list that I was waiting tables and selling my art during LS on there...... It kind of depends whether the age will hurt more than the experience helps....

True, but it's different for every applicant. Shaving 10 years or so off a resume isn't necessarily a bad thing (said one non-trad to another :D )

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed May 16, 2012 7:55 pm

Even if you obliterate the LSAT (170ish), UT would a stretch. They love GPAs. SMU/UH, on the other hand, are very much in play with a 161+

Texas Tech is a reasonable and affordable option with good placement for a TTT. 156+ would give you a good shot there.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Wed May 16, 2012 7:56 pm

lthomas wrote:
JCFindley wrote:Being our age and incurring that level of debt scares me a LOT. I am using military benefits to pay for school but I only applied for schools that would be covered 100% as I just don't have the career time left in me to pay off massive loans....

JC

I am in Texas. I have looked at UT, but it looks like that is a no go unless I get a smoking LSAT, plus, I would prefer a school that I can get more than regional jobs out of. This is depressing.

You probably won't get UT with $$$ regardless of LSAT but, SMU, Baylor and Houston are all players with very good LSAT....

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Wed May 16, 2012 7:58 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
JCFindley wrote:True, but 21 years as an Air Force Pilot is probably the best thing on my resume and would hate to leave that off and just list that I was waiting tables and selling my art during LS on there...... It kind of depends whether the age will hurt more than the experience helps....

True, but it's different for every applicant. Shaving 10 years or so off a resume isn't necessarily a bad thing (said one non-trad to another :D )

Roger that...... I will have to die my hair and leave my walker at home though....

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Wed May 16, 2012 8:00 pm

JCFindley wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:

Roger that...... I will have to die my hair and leave my walker at home though....

:lol: :lol: :lol: PM me later and I'll give you all of my hair dye advice.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”