A+ Grades To Offset Bad Ones

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
theone222

A+ Grades To Offset Bad Ones

Postby theone222 » Mon May 14, 2012 11:53 pm

Hello all. I recently talked to a friend of mine who applied to law school with a near 4.0 GPA although his freshman year GPA was just below 3.0. When I asked him how that was possible, he told me that his school gave A+ grades that were weighted at 4.33. I, like a lot of law school hopefuls, had a sub-par freshman year, although since then I have maintained a 3.8 GPA. My question is, will taking summer courses at a school that offers A+ grades be a viable strategy to offset some of my low freshman grades? Does the LSAC factor A+ grades, and if so doesn't that seem somewhat inequitable? Thanks!

Tiago Splitter

Re: A+ Grades To Offset Bad Ones

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon May 14, 2012 11:59 pm

theone222 wrote:Hello all. I recently talked to a friend of mine who applied to law school with a near 4.0 GPA although his freshman year GPA was just below 3.0. When I asked him how that was possible, he told me that his school gave A+ grades that were weighted at 4.33. I, like a lot of law school hopefuls, had a sub-par freshman year, although since then I have maintained a 3.8 GPA. My question is, will taking summer courses at a school that offers A+ grades be a viable strategy to offset some of my low freshman grades? Does the LSAC factor A+ grades, and if so doesn't that seem somewhat inequitable? Thanks!

It is inequitable, and you have a chance to take advantage of that inequity. Do it.

Should also add that this only works if you have yet to graduate.

theone222

Postby theone222 » Tue May 15, 2012 12:08 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
theone222 wrote:Hello all. I recently talked to a friend of mine who applied to law school with a near 4.0 GPA although his freshman year GPA was just below 3.0. When I asked him how that was possible, he told me that his school gave A+ grades that were weighted at 4.33. I, like a lot of law school hopefuls, had a sub-par freshman year, although since then I have maintained a 3.8 GPA. My question is, will taking summer courses at a school that offers A+ grades be a viable strategy to offset some of my low freshman grades? Does the LSAC factor A+ grades, and if so doesn't that seem somewhat inequitable? Thanks!

It is inequitable, and you have a chance to take advantage of that inequity. Do it.

Yes I plan on taking advantage of it. I have 2 years left to go before graduation. I am having a hard time finding any information on schools that offer A+ summer courses, however. Does anyone know of any? This seems like it could be an amazing resource...

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Tue May 15, 2012 12:33 am

theone222 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

Yes I plan on taking advantage of it. I have 2 years left to go before graduation. I am having a hard time finding any information on schools that offer A+ summer courses, however. Does anyone know of any? This seems like it could be an amazing resource...

I had the same thought like a year ago. I made this thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=156017 but nothing really materilaozed

theone222

Postby theone222 » Tue May 15, 2012 12:40 am

bernaldiaz wrote:
theone222 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

I had the same thought like a year ago. I made this thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=156017 but nothing really materilaozed

Is it just me or is this not a potentially game changing factor? It seems like more people would be interested in it. A couple of summers of A+'s at a CC translates to a big boost...

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue May 15, 2012 1:15 pm

theone222 wrote:Is it just me or is this not a potentially game changing factor? It seems like more people would be interested in it. A couple of summers of A+'s at a CC translates to a big boost...

Yep, definitely game changing. However, most people don't seriously start researching law school until their junior year (or senior year), if they ever do that research. At that point, it's too late to do anything about it.

heywatchitbuddy

Postby heywatchitbuddy » Tue May 15, 2012 3:35 pm

bp shinners wrote:
theone222 wrote:Is it just me or is this not a potentially game changing factor? It seems like more people would be interested in it. A couple of summers of A+'s at a CC translates to a big boost...

Yep, definitely game changing. However, most people don't seriously start researching law school until their junior year (or senior year), if they ever do that research. At that point, it's too late to do anything about it.

And if they're that much of a gunner they probably have a pretty GPA anyway.

lovejopd

Postby lovejopd » Tue May 15, 2012 3:54 pm

Yes! Having A+ always put you at an advantage compared to other unfortunate applicants whose University does not allow granting A+.

My university thankfully changed its grading policy to allow A+ based on Department or instructor's discretion, so I earned about 50 credits A+ that offset a couple of A- and a B on a legal history class in my freshman year which was a really bad choice without any deep knowledge of history and legal terms(ex) Didn't know habius corpus or any latin terms :mrgreen:).

However, be cautious about being too optimistic about getting A+ in CC. If you get something lower than A+, you still need to report these grade to LSAC no matter what.

theone222

Postby theone222 » Wed May 16, 2012 12:26 am

lovejopd wrote:Yes! Having A+ always put you at an advantage compared to other unfortunate applicants whose University does not allow granting A+.

My university thankfully changed its grading policy to allow A+ based on Department or instructor's discretion, so I earned about 50 credits A+ that offset a couple of A- and a B on a legal history class in my freshman year which was a really bad choice without any deep knowledge of history and legal terms(ex) Didn't know habius corpus or any latin terms :mrgreen:).

However, be cautious about being too optimistic about getting A+ in CC. If you get something lower than A+, you still need to report these grade to LSAC no matter what.

what school do you go to, if you don't mind me asking?

lovejopd

Postby lovejopd » Wed May 16, 2012 12:20 pm

theone222 wrote:
lovejopd wrote:Yes! Having A+ always put you at an advantage compared to other unfortunate applicants whose University does not allow granting A+.

what school do you go to, if you don't mind me asking?

PMed

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”