TLS: Abbreviations and Jargon

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rachellynne
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:49 am

Re: TLS: Abbreviations and Jargon

Postby rachellynne » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:37 pm

What is the 4th T for when people say TTTT? How is it different than TTT?

User avatar
NU_Jet55
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:54 pm

Re: TLS: Abbreviations and Jargon

Postby NU_Jet55 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:42 pm

rachellynne wrote:What is the 4th T for when people say TTTT? How is it different than TTT?


TTTT=Schools technically ranked in the 4th tier of USNWR

The usage of "TTT" is a little more vague. I've seen it used to refer to basically every school that's not Yale.

User avatar
francisConn
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:06 pm

Re: TLS: Abbreviations and Jargon

Postby francisConn » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:59 pm

What's ITE?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18410
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: TLS: Abbreviations and Jargon

Postby bk1 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:00 pm

francisConn wrote:What's ITE?


in this economy

ETA: It references the current post-crash economy as opposed to the state of the economy prior to that where the legal industry (among other things) was booming. Although, technically "ite" always means right now.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18410
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: TLS: Abbreviations and Jargon

Postby bk1 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:02 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:
rachellynne wrote:What is the 4th T for when people say TTTT? How is it different than TTT?


TTTT=Schools technically ranked in the 4th tier of USNWR

The usage of "TTT" is a little more vague. I've seen it used to refer to basically every school that's not Yale.


TTT means triple tier toilet and TTTT is just an evolution of that. The 4th T doesn't mean anything, it is just shorthand for "4th tier toilet."

User avatar
francisConn
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:06 pm

Re: TLS: Abbreviations and Jargon

Postby francisConn » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:06 pm

bk1 wrote:
francisConn wrote:What's ITE?


in this economy

ETA: It references the current post-crash economy as opposed to the state of the economy prior to that where the legal industry (among other things) was booming. Although, technically "ite" always means right now.



Got it. Thanks!

User avatar
Rock-N-Roll
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:16 pm

Re: TLS: Abbreviations and Jargon

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:07 pm

What about the following responses?

"this"
"bump"
"+1"

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18410
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: TLS: Abbreviations and Jargon

Postby bk1 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:10 pm

Rock-N-Roll wrote:What about the following responses?

"this"
"bump"
"+1"


This and +1 mean that the poster is agreeing with the poster they quoted (or if they didn't quote anybody then they are agreeing with the original poster or the poster above them).

Bump is what people say when they are putting the thread they posted in on the front page (because the forum automatically puts threads that are most recently replied to at the top). They do this to gain visibility for the thread because most people don't look past the first page of threads most of the time. It might be short for "bringing up my post," but I'm not 100% sure of that.

User avatar
Rock-N-Roll
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:16 pm

Re: TLS: Abbreviations and Jargon

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:12 pm

Thank you guys. I feel old and uncool on this site. :wink:

User avatar
SisyphusHappy
Posts: 173
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:46 pm

Re: TLS: Abbreviations and Jargon

Postby SisyphusHappy » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:41 pm

What do the different number of $$$s mean for scholarship amounts?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18410
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: TLS: Abbreviations and Jargon

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:44 pm

SisyphusHappy wrote:What do the different number of $$$s mean for scholarship amounts?


They are arbitrary and usually whatever the poster who uses them decided on. If a general trend exists, it's something like:

$: 1k-10k
$$: 10-20k
$$$: 20-30k
$$$$: 30k-full ride

lsatextreme
Posts: 523
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:18 am

Re: TLS: Abbreviations and Jargon

Postby lsatextreme » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:39 pm

i learned today that ITE stands for in this economy

i have still yet to figure out what DLS stands for

duckmoney
Posts: 886
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: TLS: Abbreviations and Jargon

Postby duckmoney » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:43 pm

lsatextreme wrote:i learned today that ITE stands for in this economy

i have still yet to figure out what DLS stands for


DLS = Decision Letter Sent, common status update at many schools

User avatar
mlbennani
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:18 am

Re: TLS: Abbreviations and Jargon

Postby mlbennani » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:44 am

What does YP (Yield Protect) mean???
Anybody? Thanks.

appstoapps
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:41 pm

Re: TLS: Abbreviations and Jargon

Postby appstoapps » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:48 am

YP is when a school does not admit you because you are above both their 75th percentiles. They know if they admit you, you would not go. So they ding to protect their numbers of acceptances to attendance.

User avatar
Bless
Posts: 533
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:32 am

Re: TLS: Abbreviations and Jargon

Postby Bless » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:04 pm

"Snail Mail". I didn't know what this was for a while. Eventually, context clues kicked in.

ComatoseClown
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:00 pm

Re: TLS: Abbreviations and Jargon

Postby ComatoseClown » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:50 am

What does "ITE" stand for?

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: TLS: Abbreviations and Jargon

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:52 am

ITE = In This Economy. Always refers to the current crappy economic climate, especially the legal market.

Crazy4lawzzz
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:53 pm

Re: TLS: Abbreviations and Jargon

Postby Crazy4lawzzz » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:02 pm

how about CCNB?

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: TLS: Abbreviations and Jargon

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:04 pm

Columbia, Chicago, NYU, Berkeley

JusticeDenied
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:41 pm

Re: TLS: Abbreviations and Jargon

Postby JusticeDenied » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:48 pm

...

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: TLS: Abbreviations and Jargon

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:19 pm

what do bump and tagged mean?

User avatar
Spookyghost
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:28 pm

Re: TLS: Abbreviations and Jargon

Postby Spookyghost » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:24 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:what do bump and tagged mean?


A bump is when you reply in a thread so it will be brought back up to the top of the list of threads - basically, attempting to draw attention to it in the hopes there will be more responses.

Tagging a thread makes it easier to find again because you can search through threads you replied to, basically a simple way to bookmark threads. Also similar is the whole +1 thing.

User avatar
Stanford4Me
Posts: 6045
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Re: TLS: Abbreviations and Jargon

Postby Stanford4Me » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:54 pm

Spookyghost wrote:Tagging a thread makes it easier to find again because you can search through threads you replied to, basically a simple way to bookmark threads. Also similar is the whole +1 thing.

Not that this is that important, but +1 is a way of agreeing with what a previous poster said, not tagging a thread for future reference.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: TLS: Abbreviations and Jargon

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:06 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
Spookyghost wrote:Tagging a thread makes it easier to find again because you can search through threads you replied to, basically a simple way to bookmark threads. Also similar is the whole +1 thing.

Not that this is that important, but +1 is a way of agreeing with what a previous poster said, not tagging a thread for future reference.

+1.
I knew tagged had something to do with tagging but I thought it odd that people post tag instead of just clicking the subscribe topic button.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests