TLS: Abbreviations and Jargon

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: TLS: Abbreviations and Jargon

Postby paratactical » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:02 pm

.
Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
tryster0
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:52 pm

Re: TLS: Abbreviations and Jargon

Postby tryster0 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:39 pm

what does COL stand for exactly? i know it has to do with loans.

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: TLS: Abbreviations and Jargon

Postby Unitas » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:42 pm

tryster0 wrote:what does COL stand for exactly? i know it has to do with loans.


COL = Cost of living, basically the cost to support yourself without a paycheck while attending LS. Schools calculate it, usually including rent, food, clothes, moving up costs, and health insurance.

User avatar
Kurt Cobain
Posts: 180
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:43 pm

Re: TLS: Abbreviations and Jargon

Postby Kurt Cobain » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:13 pm

Someone wrote MVP in the "what are my chances?" forum. I have no idea what it means. :?: :?

09042014
Posts: 18283
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: TLS: Abbreviations and Jargon

Postby 09042014 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:18 pm

We need Existenz to write a definition for Corsair'd

User avatar
Na_Swatch
Posts: 472
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: TLS: Abbreviations and Jargon

Postby Na_Swatch » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:19 pm

Kurt Cobain wrote:Someone wrote MVP in the "what are my chances?" forum. I have no idea what it means. :?: :?


It means Michigan/ Virginia / UPenn.. basically several schools within the T14 that are considered relatively peer schools.

User avatar
studebaker07
Posts: 288
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:40 pm

Re: TLS: Abbreviations and Jargon

Postby studebaker07 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:18 am

What does "LEEWS" mean when somebody is talking in the context of law school academic success?

User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: TLS: Abbreviations and Jargon

Postby paratactical » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:02 am

.
Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

M.M.
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:16 pm

Re: TLS: Abbreviations and Jargon

Postby M.M. » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:47 pm

What is "ED"

ComatoseClown
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:00 pm

Re: TLS: Abbreviations and Jargon

Postby ComatoseClown » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:03 pm

Question; What does "SA" mean in the sentence "He has a SA position offer from the law firm". ??

User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: TLS: Abbreviations and Jargon

Postby paratactical » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:45 am

ComatoseClown wrote:Question; What does "SA" mean in the sentence "He has a SA position offer from the law firm". ??


Summer Associate

M.M.
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:16 pm

Re: TLS: Abbreviations and Jargon

Postby M.M. » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:35 pm

Might wana define "gunner". I figured out what it is but not thanks to this thread.

And has it ever occurred to TLS that the ridiculously huge assortment of acronyms you guys use might be ... unnecessary?

It's kind of baffling reading a thread in which every single post has at least one acronym in it. Jus' sayin

User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: TLS: Abbreviations and Jargon

Postby paratactical » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:32 am

M.M. wrote:Might wana define "gunner". I figured out what it is but not thanks to this thread.

And has it ever occurred to TLS that the ridiculously huge assortment of acronyms you guys use might be ... unnecessary?

It's kind of baffling reading a thread in which every single post has at least one acronym in it. Jus' sayin


Welcome to the internet.

M.M.
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:16 pm

Re: TLS: Abbreviations and Jargon

Postby M.M. » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:00 pm

paratactical wrote:
M.M. wrote:Might wana define "gunner". I figured out what it is but not thanks to this thread.

And has it ever occurred to TLS that the ridiculously huge assortment of acronyms you guys use might be ... unnecessary?

It's kind of baffling reading a thread in which every single post has at least one acronym in it. Jus' sayin


Welcome to the internet.


I have been on forums for about 9 years now, have modded a large forum and have over 40K posts on (mainly) 3 different forums, not that I'm proud of it :/

I've probably frequented about 10 different forums and TLS is by far the worst for acronym abuse.

M.M.
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:16 pm

Re: TLS: Abbreviations and Jargon

Postby M.M. » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:39 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
M.M. wrote:
paratactical wrote:
M.M. wrote:Might wana define "gunner". I figured out what it is but not thanks to this thread.

And has it ever occurred to TLS that the ridiculously huge assortment of acronyms you guys use might be ... unnecessary?

It's kind of baffling reading a thread in which every single post has at least one acronym in it. Jus' sayin


Welcome to the internet.


I have been on forums for about 9 years now, have modded a large forum and have over 40K posts on (mainly) 3 different forums, not that I'm proud of it :/

I've probably frequented about 10 different forums and TLS is by far the worst for acronym abuse.

WTDTA?

Here's an old fashioned one: STFU 8)

M.M.
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:16 pm

Re: TLS: Abbreviations and Jargon

Postby M.M. » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:22 pm

Nightrunner wrote:More seriously: TLS is the internet, and the internet is overrun with abbreviations and acronyms.

Moreover, TLS represents the law from phase one (pre-LSAT 0Ls) to students to graduates working in the field. So in addition to the internet-speak, we also absorb acronyms for LSAT question types, school names, parts of an application package, class names, firm names, types of courts, types of briefs, etc. It is really several communities all rolled into one, and it shouldn't be too surprising that each community would have its own acronyms, foibles, et cetera.


Bodybuilding.com consists of powerlifters, fighters, bodybuilders, athletes, normal interwebfags, etc.


.... But they don't feel the need to turn "Mr. Olympia" into MO.

I see what you say and agree, and am willing to admit it is a more diverse / encompassing forum, but truly is unnecessary at times, and annoying.

Not that my complaining will change anything :p

Bruins101
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:52 pm

Re: TLS: Abbreviations and Jargon

Postby Bruins101 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:58 pm

What does HYS mean? same as HYP?

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: TLS: Abbreviations and Jargon

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:59 pm

Bruins101 wrote:What does HYS mean? same as HYP?


HYS = Harvard, Yale, and Stanford (best LSs)
HYP = Harvard, Yale, and Princeton (best UGs)

User avatar
rso11
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: TLS: Abbreviations and Jargon

Postby rso11 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:00 pm

What does the "+1" mean?

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: TLS: Abbreviations and Jargon

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:01 pm

rso11 wrote:What does the "+1" mean?


agreed/ditto/me too/etc

Bruins101
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:52 pm

Re: TLS: Abbreviations and Jargon

Postby Bruins101 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:30 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Bruins101 wrote:What does HYS mean? same as HYP?


HYS = Harvard, Yale, and Stanford (best LSs)
HYP = Harvard, Yale, and Princeton (best UGs)


hmmm yesterday I told someone on here I went to UCLA and in their response they said it was a HYP, what's that about? I don't think UCLA is considered to be that great, is it?

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: TLS: Abbreviations and Jargon

Postby im_blue » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:40 pm

Bruins101 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
Bruins101 wrote:What does HYS mean? same as HYP?


HYS = Harvard, Yale, and Stanford (best LSs)
HYP = Harvard, Yale, and Princeton (best UGs)


hmmm yesterday I told someone on here I went to UCLA and in their response they said it was a HYP, what's that about? I don't think UCLA is considered to be that great, is it?

They probably meant "public Ivy".

sergeantpzr
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: TLS: Abbreviations and Jargon

Postby sergeantpzr » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:01 pm

Hey guys, I tried to search this, but can anyone tell me the difference in $s?

How much or what percentage $ is.. $$.... etc when people talk about scholarship info? Thanks

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: TLS: Abbreviations and Jargon

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:09 pm

sergeantpzr wrote:Hey guys, I tried to search this, but can anyone tell me the difference in $s?

How much or what percentage $ is.. $$.... etc when people talk about scholarship info? Thanks


People use them to mean all kinds of different amount, there are really no commonly decided definitions afaik.

JurisDoctorate
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:22 am

Re: TLS: Abbreviations and Jargon

Postby JurisDoctorate » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:06 pm

What does gunner mean?




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ashterlily, carlos_danger, Deardevil, EricDelgado, Kopetz, philosoraptor, TAD and 12 guests