Impact of foreign language skills on application? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dingbat

Gold

Re: Impact of foreign language skills on application?

Post by dingbat » Mon May 14, 2012 8:29 am

shintopig wrote:Its funny how the opinions on this post went from "it probably won't help you" to "it'll give you the edge over someone who just speaks English (aka. 99% of applicants)"
Not entirely.
I think the general consensus is that it won't let you outperform your numbers, but if you're on the border, it might just be enough for you to squeeze in, when someone who only speaks English wouldn't, which makes it just another soft.

Jacky D.

New

Post by Jacky D. » Mon May 14, 2012 11:04 am

I don't feel like it'll help much in the admissions process, but I speak a couple different languages (one of which is pretty obscure) and I list it on my resume. It almost always comes up in an interview and makes for an interesting conversation.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Mon May 14, 2012 11:08 am

dingbat wrote:
FlanAl wrote:with equal numbers you'd probably get in over someone who only speaks english.
Provided you have equal numbers, equally compelling PS, equally relevant UG and equally worthwhile softs. PS: that never happens.

Ersatz Haderach

Bronze

Post by Ersatz Haderach » Tue May 15, 2012 4:42 pm

Jacky D. wrote:I don't feel like it'll help much in the admissions process, but I speak a couple different languages (one of which is pretty obscure) and I list it on my resume. It almost always comes up in an interview and makes for an interesting conversation.
This. Law school admissions - virtually no impact. Job applications - minor impact, unless it's a requirement. The value of languages is as an extra, a cherry on top. Sometimes it's mandatory, but usually only in positions where you'd have a lot of foreign client contact, which I imagine is rare for first years at even the top firms. Or if you wanted to start in a foreign office.

Immigration law - everyone I know in immigration speaks a second language.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”