nyu chances.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lynndx101

nyu chances.

Postby lynndx101 » Fri May 11, 2012 11:29 am

My aunt taught a buiessness class. I have desent grades (3.5) in accounting and will be taking lsat. By knowing somone in the school that teaches there, can i improve my chances of getting into nyu law?

danielhay11

Re: nyu chances.

Postby danielhay11 » Fri May 11, 2012 11:41 am

Well, using a spell checker will improve your chances of admission more than any nepotism bump might.

To answer your question: it depends, but not likely. Did she teach business at the law school, or is she a professor at Stern? If she was or is a professor at the Law School, then perhaps your relationship might give you a slight bump. If she taught at another school within NYU, or if she was just an adjunct at NYU Law several years ago, then I don't see this helping.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Fri May 11, 2012 11:49 am

You need to do well on your LSAT and based on your spelling, well, you know.

Liquox

Postby Liquox » Fri May 11, 2012 3:40 pm

lynndx101 wrote:My aunt taught a buiessness class. I have desent grades (3.5) in accounting and will be taking lsat. By knowing somone in the school that teaches there, can i improve my chances of getting into nyu law?

ignoring potential rivals/gunners and bitter people, ignore the nepotism and shoot for a 171+ lsat on your first shot. nyu averages lsats, so don't get more than 1 score, unless they're all above 170

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri May 11, 2012 3:50 pm

Liquox wrote:nyu averages lsats, so don't get more than 1 score, unless they're all above 170

They might say they do but evidence suggests otherwise.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Fri May 11, 2012 4:07 pm

Liquox wrote: nyu averages lsats

Nope.

soj

Postby soj » Fri May 11, 2012 4:16 pm

I've heard of numerous instances of people getting into NYU with low average LSAT scores: one person I know has an average in the high 150s-low 160s, I shit you not. He still got in because he has one good score close to NYU's median and a GPA above the median. Literally no one I know with good enough numbers has failed to get in, and plenty of them were retakers. Take a look at the recent few cycles' LSN graphs if you're unconvinced.

HarlandBassett

Postby HarlandBassett » Tue May 15, 2012 4:03 am

soj wrote:I've heard of numerous instances of people getting into NYU with low average LSAT scores: one person I know has an average in the high 150s-low 160s, I shit you not. He still got in because he has one good score close to NYU's median and a GPA above the median. Literally no one I know with good enough numbers has failed to get in, and plenty of them were retakers. Take a look at the recent few cycles' LSN graphs if you're unconvinced.

does it show which scores are retakes?

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Tue May 15, 2012 4:08 am

HarlandBassett wrote:
soj wrote:I've heard of numerous instances of people getting into NYU with low average LSAT scores: one person I know has an average in the high 150s-low 160s, I shit you not. He still got in because he has one good score close to NYU's median and a GPA above the median. Literally no one I know with good enough numbers has failed to get in, and plenty of them were retakers. Take a look at the recent few cycles' LSN graphs if you're unconvinced.

does it show which scores are retakes?

Look in the notes section. It says on quite a few profiles if they retook.

Systematic1

Postby Systematic1 » Tue May 15, 2012 4:44 am

lynndx101 wrote:My aunt taught a buiessness class. I have desent decent grades (3.5) in accounting and will be taking lsat. By knowing somone in the school that teaches there, can i improve my chances of getting into nyu law?

I can let buiessness slide, but desent annoys the crap out of me. Doesn't TLS have a built in spellchecker?

Real Madrid

Postby Real Madrid » Tue May 15, 2012 8:02 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Liquox wrote:nyu averages lsats, so don't get more than 1 score, unless they're all above 170

Agreed. And even if they did, they don't have this luxury anymore with the enormous decline in high-scoring test takers and their having to fill about a million spots for each incoming class.

smokeylarue

Postby smokeylarue » Tue May 15, 2012 9:40 pm

They most certainly do not average. I'm most recent proof in this cycle. 167 and 172 are my scores. If they averaged I most certainly would not have been admitted to NYU.

liangbinyu

Postby liangbinyu » Tue May 15, 2012 11:47 pm

AGREE
Real Madrid wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

Agreed. And even if they did, they don't have this luxury anymore with the enormous decline in high-scoring test takers and their having to fill about a million spots for each incoming class.

HarlandBassett

Postby HarlandBassett » Wed May 16, 2012 3:46 am

Real Madrid wrote:Agreed. And even if they did, they don't have this luxury anymore with the enormous decline in high-scoring test takers and their having to fill about a million spots for each incoming class.

it's not a trend until it's a 3 year drop in avg scores

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”