Which was worse...?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Which wait was worse?

LSAT score
69%
Admissions decisions
31%

Total votes: 65

Excellent117

Which was worse...?

Postby Excellent117 » Fri May 11, 2012 2:16 am

For you personally, which was worse? Waiting for your LSAT scores or for your law school admissions decisions?

d.schoenfeld16

Re: Which was worse...?

Postby d.schoenfeld16 » Fri May 11, 2012 2:17 am

For me it was definitely my LSAT score...it was a much shorter period of time, but I was an absolute wreck during it.

Largo219

Postby Largo219 » Fri May 11, 2012 2:19 am

LSAT hands down...shit sucked

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Fri May 11, 2012 2:22 am

Admissions was worse for me but only because I was pretty confident that I had done well on the LSAT after leaving the room.

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri May 11, 2012 2:26 am

Waiting for my LSAT score. I have never waited for anything like how I waited for that score. Not my birthday, not Christmas, nothing. I took it in December 2011, and Christmas was just meh for me last year.

calidancer2

Postby calidancer2 » Fri May 11, 2012 2:28 am

Nova wrote:Waiting for my LSAT score. I have never waited for anything like how I waited for that score. Not my birthday, not Christmas, nothing. I took it in December 2011, and Christmas was just meh for me last year.

yep, this. especially because for us dec 2011ers the wait was unprecedented and freaking ridiculous. so glad i NEVER have to wait for that again.

to be fair though, haven't applied to schools yet. don't really care where i go, just wherever throws the most $ at me.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Fri May 11, 2012 2:32 am

Most people will be able to predict their admissions cycles fairly accurately once they have their LSAT score. I figured once I got it back that I was going to be going to one of two schools, and I am currently at one of them, and would've been happy at the other, so waiting for that decision wasn't nearly as stressful.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Fri May 11, 2012 2:34 am

Waiting for the LSAT is worse but both pale in comparison to waiting for 1l grades

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Fri May 11, 2012 2:37 am

Wow... I may yet be the lone exception.

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri May 11, 2012 2:44 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:Waiting for the LSAT is worse but both pale in comparison to waiting for 1l grades

Oh, God. :shock:

calidancer2 wrote:
Nova wrote:Waiting for my LSAT score. I have never waited for anything like how I waited for that score. Not my birthday, not Christmas, nothing. I took it in December 2011, and Christmas was just meh for me last year.

yep, this. especially because for us dec 2011ers the wait was unprecedented and freaking ridiculous. so glad i NEVER have to wait for that again.

That was terrible. everyday i thought to myself "this is the day", and refreshed my browser accordingly.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Fri May 11, 2012 3:20 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:Waiting for the LSAT is worse but both pale in comparison to waiting for 1l grades

a-fucking-men. That was the worst wait ever.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Fri May 11, 2012 3:40 am

Walking out to check the mailbox everyday was pure torture and it was over a much longer period of time. At least I had a pretty good idea of when my LSAT scores would be released. (Also probably helped I took multiple times and the first time around I wasn't really aware of how important my score was.) I had no clue when the school decisions would come and since I was a semi-splitter, I didn't have a strong sense of what would happen. (I also applied to a good amount of reaches, so I was receiving more bad news than good news.)

I would say for me it's been: Admissions decisions > Any law school grades > LSAT score.

mushybrain

Postby mushybrain » Fri May 11, 2012 7:46 am

LSAT score. I felt like I had done well but then that made me nervous because it meant either I really did do well or I bombed it. Admissions decisions weren't as bad because I got into my top choice two weeks after my first app went out, way before I expected, so the rest I didn't care much about.

danielhay11

Postby danielhay11 » Fri May 11, 2012 8:55 am

I think the LSAT wait was made worse by knowing when scores were coming out. I didn't get my score for about five hours after my boxes went grey, and I just sat there the entire time knowing at any second I would receive news that would either make me ecstatic or catatonic. Admissions was always more of a surprise: "Oh hey, someone from school X is reading my application today" or "Oooooh, pretty box in the mail from school Y."

OnceUponAMemo

Postby OnceUponAMemo » Fri May 11, 2012 9:27 am

blurbz wrote:

It just keeps getting worse. Then after 1L grades you are waiting to hear about the writing comp, then after OCI (hopefully) waiting to hear about callbacks, then offers. It never ends.

BearState

Postby BearState » Fri May 11, 2012 9:42 am

acrossthelake wrote:Most people will be able to predict their admissions cycles fairly accurately once they have their LSAT score. I figured once I got it back that I was going to be going to one of two schools, and I am currently at one of them, and would've been happy at the other, so waiting for that decision wasn't nearly as stressful.

I feel similarly to this, but waiting for decisions was still pretty bad. I got into my favorite school somewhat early though, so it doesn't really compare to waiting for the LSAT score.

It just keeps getting worse. Then after 1L grades you are waiting to hear about the writing comp, then after OCI (hopefully) waiting to hear about callbacks, then offers. It never ends.

Then the bar exam. Good lord.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Fri May 11, 2012 10:38 am

Admissions has been way worse. I was pretty solidly PTing in a 5 point range, so I knew what I was going to get. Outside of the admissions that I knew I'd get, the ones I'm on the border for have been terrifying.

Randomnumbers

Postby Randomnumbers » Fri May 11, 2012 11:05 am

I had the dates wrong for the LSAT score release, and it showed up in my email about a week earlier then I expected, so waiting for that was easy. But then I did exactly what I expected on my cycle, so those admissions decisions weren't a stressful wait at all (even if some schools took ridiculously long). So I'm expecting the wait for 1L grades next year to be waaaay worse then both.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Fri May 11, 2012 11:16 am

OnceUponAMemo wrote:
blurbz wrote:

I agree that the terrible waiting never ends but nothing was worse than 1l. The results for law review and job stuff were all largely determined by my 1l grades. We'll see how bad the wait is for an offer at the end of the summer, but I can't imagine anything being more terrifying than 1l grades.

splbagel

Postby splbagel » Fri May 11, 2012 12:36 pm

Admissions was more stressful for me because my cycle was so long and I never knew when I was going to hear something. Had my first acceptance in early November, and my last rejection in mid-April, and never knew when more information would be coming. I felt pretty confident coming out of my LSAT and I knew within a couple of days when I was going to get my score, so I was able to mostly relax until a few days before scores came out.

soj

Postby soj » Fri May 11, 2012 12:56 pm

LSAT waiting is pretty stressful because your score determines which tiers of schools you have a shot at. But at least you know (unless December, but even then you should have known from December 2010 that Dec score release is sometimes delayed until after New Years) roughly when you'll get the results, so it's only stressful for a week or so.

fingerscrossedxx

Postby fingerscrossedxx » Fri May 11, 2012 1:25 pm

splbagel wrote:Admissions was more stressful for me because my cycle was so long and I never knew when I was going to hear something. Had my first acceptance in early November, and my last rejection in mid-April, and never knew when more information would be coming. I felt pretty confident coming out of my LSAT and I knew within a couple of days when I was going to get my score, so I was able to mostly relax until a few days before scores came out.

This exactly.
Last edited by fingerscrossedxx on Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Liquox

Postby Liquox » Fri May 11, 2012 3:43 pm

admissions. waiting for my lsat score wasn't too bad. i just told myself if i scored above 170, i'd go t14, and t30 if below 170. admissions was tougher this round cause i applied late to half of the schools and scratched way too many waitlists

sequins

Postby sequins » Fri May 11, 2012 6:09 pm

Wow I'm actually surprised that people cared that much about the LSAT - I literally just walked into mine two years ago without preparing (besides looking over a paper the night before) and kinda forgot about it until they mailed me the results. But then I never really got how or why to prepare for these standardised tests - I mean given that they're just supposed to measure your aptitude for studying a certain subject and memorising vocab for a month doesn't automatically make you a better lawyer. In retrospect I could probably have practiced some faster techniques for the logic problems rather than just stare at them for a while, but I just don't see how you can reasonably bump up reading comprehension levels with a few weeks of studying. Memorising vocab just seemed horrendously inefficient to me. Decisions I hated waiting (and actually still waiting) for - mainly because it's just annoying not being able to get started on just looking for apartments and planning my life in general for the next few years.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Fri May 11, 2012 6:24 pm

sequins wrote:Wow I'm actually surprised that people cared that much about the LSAT - I literally just walked into mine two years ago without preparing (besides looking over a paper the night before) and kinda forgot about it until they mailed me the results. But then I never really got how or why to prepare for these standardised tests - I mean given that they're just supposed to measure your aptitude for studying a certain subject and memorising vocab for a month doesn't automatically make you a better lawyer. In retrospect I could probably have practiced some faster techniques for the logic problems rather than just stare at them for a while, but I just don't see how you can reasonably bump up reading comprehension levels with a few weeks of studying. Memorising vocab just seemed horrendously inefficient to me. Decisions I hated waiting (and actually still waiting) for - mainly because it's just annoying not being able to get started on just looking for apartments and planning my life in general for the next few years.

Retake

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”