Law school admissions is flawed Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
charliep

Bronze

Re: Law school admissions is flawed

Post by charliep » Thu May 10, 2012 10:26 pm

charliep wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:
splitter13 wrote:You mad Bro! If you didn't do a hard major, you didn't earn you're degree bro!
I make typos all the time, but I like to point them out when a poster is explaining how their intellect is superior to everybody else's.
dont forget the commas before "bro"
Also, i should've applied to cornell

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Thu May 10, 2012 10:30 pm

To be fair to the OP, he never said, implied, or argued that he was smarter than any of us.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Thu May 10, 2012 10:32 pm

thederangedwang wrote:To be fair to the OP, he never said, implied, or argued that he was smarter than any of us.
He called me retarded if I was a Communications major who couldn't get B+s.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu May 10, 2012 10:33 pm

How can you possibly say that the chemE major with the 2.7 is "at the top of his major"? That's probably around median at his school. Guaranteed there are engineering majors with 4.0 or close to it.

The 4.0 chemE major will beat out the 4.0 basketweaving major. That's where it evens out.

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Thu May 10, 2012 10:36 pm

splitter13 wrote:Instead of the insults, tell me how it makes sense to compare those majors

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu May 10, 2012 10:39 pm

splitter13 wrote:You mad Bro! If you didn't do a hard major, you didn't earn you're degree bro!
Nah. Lol. You mad.

woeisme

Silver

Post by woeisme » Thu May 10, 2012 10:47 pm

splitter13 wrote:I want you to think about this scenario for a minute.

You have a chemical engineering major who is at the top of his major with a 2.7 GPA. Getting a C+ in a class is hard. He took Calc 5, Physics 3, Econometric's, ect.

You have a Communication major who has a 3.7 GPA. If you don't get a B+ in a class you're mentally retarded. He took Communications 101, Interpersonal Communication.

The communication major scores a 165, the engineering major scores a 175. The communication major gets into Cornell. The engineering major would be lucky to break >30.

Explain to me how this makes sense? I would like to hear some non liberal arts majors too.
I'll take a stab at this puzzle. ... Communications major is a URM and engineering major is not?

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Thu May 10, 2012 10:57 pm

You have a chemical engineering major who is at the top of his major with a 2.7 GPA. Getting a C+ in a class is hard. He took Calc 5, Physics 3, Econometric's, ect.

You have a Communication major who has a 3.7 GPA. If you don't get a B+ in a class you're mentally retarded. He took Communications 101, Interpersonal Communication.

The communication major scores a 165, the engineering major scores a 175. The communication major gets into Cornell. The engineering major would be lucky to break >30.

Explain to me how this makes sense? I would like to hear some non liberal arts majors too.
Maybe the communications major didn't cry about how unfair life has treated him in his personal statement.

LexLeon

Bronze

Post by LexLeon » Fri May 11, 2012 12:20 am

No one with a 2.7 is at the top of her major.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

daddylonglegs

New

Post by daddylonglegs » Fri May 11, 2012 12:30 am

Engineers just don't get that the REAL elite of the world are humanities majors. They're smart, sure, but they aren't savvy. OP is a typical example of this.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Fri May 11, 2012 12:55 am

Last edited by 03152016 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

indo

Bronze

Post by indo » Fri May 11, 2012 1:34 am

If getting C+ is hard that mean the person does not master the materials and does not deserve to be in the top of his major.

My friends and I are Regents scholars in one of University of California campus (top 50 ) .

We all have great GPA and the lowest GPA among us is 3.70

I major in Political Science and some of my friends (Regents Scholars) major in Chemical engineering, Mechanical engineering, Civil engineering,Electrical

engineering, Computer science, biological science, Physics and etc.

I know Chemical Engineering is one of the toughest major but if you ask some of my friends, they will say it is easy because they master the materials.

If you ask them to write composition , mastering literature and /or non engineering materials, they will say it sound like Greek to them.

So stop saying your major is tough , hard core and etc. Master the materials and you will be a scholar.

I know law school admissions is unfair. Life is unfair in general but we do need to do the best we can.

indo

Bronze

Post by indo » Fri May 11, 2012 1:42 am

thederangedwang wrote:
Adm.Doppleganger wrote:Hey man, I feel you. It sucks. But maybe that's just nature's way of telling engineering students not to go to law school. I never really got what motivates a student to spend 4 years studying hard sciences and then go to law school.
Basically the argument I was going to make if I decided to respond to you seriously.

Every school has their own admissions criteria. Med schools like science majors, music schools like music majors, law schools like liberal arts majors.

You cant blame the schools since you are the one who is taking a non-traditional path, then not doing well on that path.

Likewise, a journalism/communication major would similarly be disadvantaged if he/she was applying for something in the science field.

It works both ways man.
++++++ 1

Each one of us has different TALENTS.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri May 11, 2012 1:42 am

daddylonglegs wrote:Engineers just don't get that the REAL elite of the world are humanities majors. They're smart, sure, but they aren't savvy. OP is a typical example of this.
This is as stupid as the OP.

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Fri May 11, 2012 8:18 am

Go ask an engineering major to write a paper. At my undergrad half of them couldn't write a readable paragraph.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri May 11, 2012 8:50 am

Mr. Pancakes wrote:Go ask an engineering major to write a paper. At my undergrad half of them couldn't write a readable paragraph.
Some of the engineers I know in law school are incredible writers.

But then again, DF.

BearState

Bronze

Post by BearState » Fri May 11, 2012 10:12 am

Retake and ED UVA (or NU if you have dat engineering WE)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Fri May 11, 2012 10:22 am

IAFG wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:Go ask an engineering major to write a paper. At my undergrad half of them couldn't write a readable paragraph.

But then again, DF.
some bears don't shit in the woods.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri May 11, 2012 11:16 am

Spend some time in the PS advice forum. Half is probably better than most other majors, since hardly anyone can write a readable paragraph coming out of undergrad these days.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Fri May 11, 2012 11:30 am

What is this bullshit that a 175 wouldn't crack the top 30?

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Fri May 11, 2012 11:32 am

That an admissions process is flawed is a stunning discovery. If only we could find that PERFECT admissions process.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri May 11, 2012 11:59 am

I've earned myself a 2.8 in EE at a very good engineering program and got a 176 on LSAT. You can't convince me that the CE you described didn't slack the fuck off during his UG. That person is smart (see 175 LSAT) but was bottom 1/4-1/3rd in his class? Lazy or really bad at math.

Sure he probably worked more than the 3.7 Communications major, but he didn't work hard relative to his competition. He slacked off compared to other CE majors.

Also that CE major won't be lucky to break T30, he'll probably get decent scholarships at most T30 schools. And he's got a shot at NW/UVA/Gtown. And a 3.7/165 might get into Cornell, but probably won't.

There is some discrimination, but it's mostly due to curves. At my program 3.1 was median. Getting a 3.5 was hard as fuck. You could get jobs from Intel and Microsoft with a 3.2. I think it's BS that someone with a 3.5 in EE is automatically out at HYS, and at best gets into CCN at sticker.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri May 11, 2012 12:01 pm

IAFG wrote:

But then again, DF.
All the engineers I know at law schools were getting B's or B+'s in CLR.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri May 11, 2012 12:05 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
IAFG wrote:

But then again, DF.
I'm freaked out about learning legal writing, but I'm confident in my regular writing skills to start off with, at least. I took a bunch of extra writing in UG because I knew I could get As. At the very least it exercised a skill we didn't use much in engineering classes.

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Fri May 11, 2012 12:08 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
IAFG wrote:

But then again, DF.
well, I wasn't referring to engineer majors in law school, but, yea...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”